The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Hardened Deck?

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Hardened Deck?

Post by rassy7 »

I'm curious about something. There was an Mi6 helicopter with what is called a hardened deck, that a few people apparently used in multiplayer to carry another person flying the spec. opps parachuter up to several thousand feet where he could then jump out. The concept of the hardened deck also appears in aircraft carrier design allowing players to land on other players in multiplayer basically.

I was wondering where the limit here was. I know literally nothing about modeling so I have to ask, would it be possible to create, say, a C-5 with a hardened inner deck to set up on an ai flight plan, where I could drive my hummer into it and have it fly me to another airport? Sound crazy I know and it bring up other questions like, would you fall out during a turn, and what if the plane flies through a mountain etc. but conceptually it sounds pretty cool.

Just a thought. Has this or something like this been researched/tested before? Could this be done?

~Josh
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Re: Hardened Deck?

Post by GrahamS »

In FSX it is possible for the user aircraft to ride on the hardened deck of a moving AI carrier. That suggests to me that your scenario is a possibility in FSX. For FS9, I doubt it.
Which way is up?
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by KevinJarvis »

It is possible in FS9 to land aircraft on a hardened deck.
However default ships in FS9 do not move.

I would check with FS-Shipyards http://www.fs-shipyards.org/
and see if you can find any information there.
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Ya, I forgot to mention I run FSX. Do you know of any aircraft other than the helicopter that have that hardened deck by change for me to experiement with?

~Josh
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

It isn't usual to place a hardened deck in an aircraft model, it would have to be specially made.
Which way is up?
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Are you the same GrahamS from Project AI? If so, you were SUPER helpful on the forums there and kept me from pulling my hair out about 11 times, ha ha. Anyway, I figured it shouldn't be too difficult to put a hardened deck into a model, I just don't know how. Maybe it's time I learn. Are there tutorials or programs which are needed? How difficult is it to learn?

~Josh
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

Yes, the same.

You can use both FSDS and GMax to make aircraft models, both are difficult, GMax is the more difficult.
Which way is up?
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Hmmm ... Ok. Thanks. I'll try FSDS I guess for starters. Any specific tips for trying to place a hardened deck in an aircraft? I have a feeling this project is going to take me months, ha ha.

~Josh
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

You should learn how to make an aircraft first. Then try something special. I don't want to dissuade you at all but aircraft creation alone is no trivial process.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Josh, from what I understand you can't create a hard deck for an aircraft you have to include it as part of the model. So unless you have the source code of an existing aircraft you have to create your own.
Steve
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Ok. Sounds like a plan. I'll work on a glider or something and try to figure that out and go from there ... but be watching ... In about 13 years, when I get this mastered, you're going to see a hardened deck revolution, ha ha.

~Josh