The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

P-3, Revisited

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
aerogator

P-3, Revisited

Post by aerogator »

While waiting for the beta testers to do their thing with the Talon, I went back to my first ever project, which was dropped flat when I couldn't figure out how to do the nacelle's. There's still A LOT of tinkering to do with points, etc, just to get the shape right, but its a start. Its about 4000 polys most of which are in the nacelles :x . There is a better way, I'm sure. :roll: And I'm still looking for some GOOD 3-views. Most of this was done from pics.
Attachments
P-3_3.jpg
P-3_3.jpg (15.77 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
P-3_4.jpg
P-3_4.jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !!!!!!!!! :D
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Psuls
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by Psuls »

another one coming up nicely :D
Pascal
delta b
Captain
Captain

Post by delta b »

That's a great start--you've captured the look nicely!

Dan
WHAT? People actually FLY in Flight Sim???
Bora

Post by Bora »

That's something we really needed, looks promising !
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Very Nice!!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

It'll definately be nice to finally be able to properly fill up NAS Jax and NAS Whidbey Island 8)
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Thanks guys, for the nice comments, but we're along way away at this point. This is a plane I really love though so I am going to continue it. First things first though. Lets get the T38 flying.(I can't help but work on this some though)
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Hey guys, can anyone sent me (or point me toward) any good 3-views. Landing gear, props, windshield, stab dihedral, etc have all been done from pictures :? . Airliners.net has some great pics but its hard get the right scale. The only 3-views I can find are very low res and don't show any of the above. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows anything about Fowler flaps, I'm going to to have to get in to that at some point :D

BTW, thats about 4200 polys.

Thanks a bunch,
Attachments
P-3_8.jpg
P-3_8.jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 985 times
P-3_7.jpg
P-3_7.jpg (7.25 KiB) Viewed 985 times
Calvin Gwin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Calvin Gwin »

Simviation used to have a section with links to 3-view pages. I dont remember where they were, but it may be worth a look.
Aren't you a little fat to be a Stormtrooper?
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

Tried looking around at work. There is a manual with these photos. One is publicly available in the Navy Fact files, but the pictures aren't that good :(, If get some more time tonight will look around again, will see if I can get a hold of the Lockheed Tech Rep and see if he has anything.

Another thing might be drop a line to KBT and see what they used. That model is pretty good.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Thanks guys, I'll give them a look :D . And excuse my ignorance, but who is KBT? :oops:
Calvin Gwin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Calvin Gwin »

They are a freeware group that made the premier P-3 add-on for FS9.
Aren't you a little fat to be a Stormtrooper?
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

Jake,

I emailed you with a couple of URL's to try.

Mike
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Thanks, Mike. I got them. The one with the PDF file I already had, but had forgotten about. Those 3-views at least show the props and gear so I can scale them better. P3, if you have any close up shots of the gear and gear wells, the flaps and the exhaust ports that would be great. I don't have anything good of the wingtips, either. Lets see, what else? Anybody want to come wash my car? :lol:

Thanks guys for all the help. :D

Oh, and I tried finding KBT. I found a linked website but no email address that I could see. I don't read Japanese :lol:. If anyone else knows how to get in touch with them, I'll give it a try.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

aerogator wrote:Thanks, Mike. I got them. The one with the PDF file I already had, but had forgotten about. Those 3-views at least show the props and gear so I can scale them better. P3, if you have any close up shots of the gear and gear wells, the flaps and the exhaust ports that would be great. I don't have anything good of the wingtips, either. Lets see, what else? Anybody want to come wash my car? :lol:

Thanks guys for all the help. :D

Oh, and I tried finding KBT. I found a linked website but no email address that I could see. I don't read Japanese :lol:. If anyone else knows how to get in touch with them, I'll give it a try.
Jake,

Have you seen the P-3C Walkaround photo series located at the following website?

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/

It contains some pretty good closeups of the P-3C including a wing tip, gear wells, gear, etc.

Mike
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Thanks, Mike :oops: . I had seen the jet aircraft walkarounds but somehow missed the prop jobs!
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

aerogator wrote: Oh, and I tried finding KBT. I found a linked website but no email address that I could see. I don't read Japanese :lol:. If anyone else knows how to get in touch with them, I'll give it a try.
kbt_kbt@nifty.com

KBT's Website through google's translator.

A tricky thing for the P-3 is the strobe lights(they are in a sence beacon lights, but are actually strobes vice a rotating type light assy.) Is how they work. They have a weight on wheels switch. Not sure how it can be done is FS, I know it can be, but not sure for an AI model... (KBT's representation is screwed up) They are independant from the tail lights(KBT has the tail lights flash w/the white strobes and off with reds on.) Tail lights are on the same switch as the wingtips lights.

In anycase the strobes...

There is a red setting, and a white setting. Red is used at night, white in the day.(This is where I think this will be the problem in an AI model have to go with one(red) or the other(white). Also, even in the daytime with white selected, while the aircraft is on the ground(weight on wheels switch) The top strobe is red, and the bottom is off. One of the P-3s done back for FS2000 I think, in anycase it was an FSDS model, not GMAX or FSDSv2+ the lights worked as advertised. Not sure how the modeler did this.

Any questions drop me a PM or ask here.... Still trying on the 3views. Went to the NATEC website and they for some reason have pretty much every aircraft in the Navy inventory, including aircraft no longer in service, but not the P-3. The only manual(that has the 3view) is the one that is available on the Navy fact sheets that the pictures are kind of screwed up.
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
StingingCanine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by StingingCanine »

I use:

http://www.vpnavy.org/index.html

for all my VP needs! Continually updated.

Use the links on the left to move to a section that interests you.