The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Hiding somewhere in a secret MAIW hardened aircraft shelter

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Hiding somewhere in a secret MAIW hardened aircraft shelter

Post by MIKE JG »

Matt, Creech is on my to do list, probably in conjunction with release of this model. We may try to finish the MQ-1 as well as there is one that Kevin has already started.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by kungfuman »

That sounds perfect!

Creech is where the RAF do their UAV training too.
Dan
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

Outstanding sir. I guess I can find someplace else to work on.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

The UAV packs are going to be a bit tricky. For example, they have control stations all around the world and the pilots can simply "log on" for lack of a proper term to do their flight training from their home station where ever that is. The actual UAV can be practically anywhere so long as there is a local pilot to carry out the takeoffs and landings.

It's really a weird concept to think that ANG guys in Syracuse NY, part of the new 174th Attack Squadron, can fly all their missions from right there in Syracuse, dropping bombs and all that other good stuff half a world away in Afghanistan or patrolling the Indian Ocean looking for Somali pirate skiffs. When they need to do training, they simply hook up with a UAV at Creech carry out the training there. As far as I know, the actual squadron in Syracuse is only getting a single MQ-9 and that's going to be used to train maintainers and technicians. Not sure how much that actual aircraft is going to be flying out of Syracuse.

The other issue is that the best count I can come up with for MQ-9s is at 28 airframes. New ones are coming online all the time and good luck trying to find serial numbers on the net. Most of them have very few if ANY markings on them to identify them, probably at the CIA and NSA's request. Heck there's only 4 total pictures on all of ANet for the MQ-9.

The one that Kevin has painted up is the most photographed one of them all and has sported several tail schemes since it came on line. The scheme he has on there may or may not be what it's wearing these days. I saw this same aircraft at the Nellis airshow in 2007 and it had a different scheme on it then. There are very few pictures of other MQ-9s floating around on the net.

Still a bit of a secretive part of the Air Force.
-Mike G.

kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

Just focusing on Creech would be a great start - and then maybe a couple at Kandahar... [dreaming on :smt051 ]
Dan
jaguar1
Captain
Captain

Post by jaguar1 »

Really looking forward to the Creech scenery Mike. I'd imagine it won't be an easy scenery to make as there's a lot going on there.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Well being close to Nellis, they share the same sort of look and feel. I already have many objects that can be quickly modified for use at Creech. There really isn't that much to Creech, especially compared to Nellis. Far fewer buildings. But I don't have nearly the amount of photos to go on for Creech so that will be a bit of a challenge. There's also no recent sat imagery to go off of. From what I can tell, what is available seems to be a bit dated.

We'll get something put together eventually.

I made those canvas shelters they use out there last night, a bit of a pain but they came out pretty good.
Attachments
MAIW_Creech_AFB.jpg
-Mike G.

kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

There's a good aerial image showing Predator/Reaper type aircraft around a building on the Eastern side, and an F-15 on the main apron on the Southern side dated October 27th 2006. But I guess things have moved on a bit since then?
Dan
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Yea I think they've been pouring money into Creech to upgrade it for the various UAV systems. There's only one or two videos out there as well with anything useful in them.

I guy I was PM'ing with on the VRS forums said he'd go out there and take some pictures for me. I told him not to get in trouble. I haven't heard from him since....... :shock:
-Mike G.

LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

I've got a friend of mine, who was out at Creech last year, I will see if he has any photos he could provide.
Kurosaki
Captain
Captain

Post by Kurosaki »

I've got a crappy vid I shot standing on top of a dumpster next to their main wall when a pred. was landing...a few photos, but nothing that really shows it.

youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-BLskylUx0
(2008? I think)

It was a good day to be driving through the desert...saw some Ch-53's on the ramp, UAV's going in and out, T-birds were practicing to the north east in the same valley, Nellis was hosting some GAF tornadoes and F-15E's. Really missing living out that way.

That vid may not be that great/ helpful other than some of the buildings/hangers on the south-south-west end. (UAV was landing on runway 26...and I was in the Indian Springs Casio back lot...see google earth)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

That actually helps a lot! I can get an idea of some of the textures just from that quick clip. Thanks.
-Mike G.

djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

i've got a couple of the ones from Holloman as well as the 2 border patrol ones at GF if you want them.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Yes please. :smt038
-Mike G.

Ascot
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ascot »

This looks really good! In response to photos for textures the RAF website http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/mq9reaper.cfm has a photo of their version.
Kind Regards,

Mark Williams
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

Post by tango234 »

I have to say the UAV looks brilliant MikeJG! I'm looking forward to it. I'd offer to help if I actually knew anything that would be useful, but I don't :(
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Thanks for the link Mark, that will help. The British currently operate their lone MQ-9 in Afghanistan and it is flown by British RAF pilots who are stationed at Creech. They had two at one point but crashed one of them in Afghanistan and even sent in SAS troopers to blow up the remains of the crash so that the technology wouldn't fall into the wrong hands.

They currently "borrow" time off of one from the Americans to train with at Creech.
-Mike G.

fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Australia has also shown interest in them for northern border security and fisheries patrol. I don't know how advanced we are in them though???

Mark
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Just an update for you guys.....

She's in the final stages now. Her little brother is under way as well. :wink:

-Mike G.

jaguar1
Captain
Captain

Post by jaguar1 »

Mike, that bird looks simply stunning. Really looking forward to this package coming to fruition!!