The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

AI sounds

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
oak666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

AI sounds

Post by oak666 »

Hey guys. I just downloaded the Lemoore NAS v2 package. I love it. I love following the planes around on the tarmac, tracking them down in the air, getting in line behind them, checking out the paintjobs, or buzzing them. Haha. What I think is really cool is that sometimes planes from one package show up at other bases; like i think I've seen American MAIW AI at CFB Cold Lake. A cool surprise. There's a little free fs2004 addon called traffic view board, and you can follow AI around. Anyways, i love using that with MAIW packages (in case someone is interested in following AI and hasn't heard of it). What I think would be cool would be to change the sounds of the hornets (or any AI plane), to something with more 'rumble'; like to a hornet soundpack or something. So, is there a way to customize the default AI sounds; like have them use the sounds of another plane in flightsim? I don't know how to do that, because the MAIW AI planes I've got loaded don't have sound folders or anything like the other planes i've got loaded. So that's my question.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Re: AI sounds

Post by nickblack423 »

oak666 wrote:Hey guys. I just downloaded the Lemoore NAS v2 package. I love it. I love following the planes around on the tarmac, tracking them down in the air, getting in line behind them, checking out the paintjobs, or buzzing them. Haha. What I think is really cool is that sometimes planes from one package show up at other bases; like i think I've seen American MAIW AI at CFB Cold Lake. A cool surprise. There's a little free fs2004 addon called traffic view board, and you can follow AI around. Anyways, i love using that with MAIW packages (in case someone is interested in following AI and hasn't heard of it). What I think would be cool would be to change the sounds of the hornets (or any AI plane), to something with more 'rumble'; like to a hornet soundpack or something. So, is there a way to customize the default AI sounds; like have them use the sounds of another plane in flightsim? I don't know how to do that, because the MAIW AI planes I've got loaded don't have sound folders or anything like the other planes i've got loaded. So that's my question.
Well there is a very simple answer to that question. NO. FS2004 doesn't allow for different sounds for AI aircraft, the only way to change the sounds of AI aircraft is to replace the sounds in the master sound folder named "xai_lgjet01" etc, and unfortunately this changes the sounds for all AI aircraft. AI aircraft are assigned one of the default sounds in the master sound folder depending on the type of engine they have. For instance for the AI Apache I created, I replaced one of the sounds for one that sounded like an Apache, but unfortunately this meant that all the Hercules in my sim ended up sounding like Apaches too. There is no way around this, and believe me I've looked into the FS coding and .cfgs to see if there is any way of assigning an AI sound to an aircraft but there isn't. Only in FSX can this be done, in that each aircraft folder has its own AISound folder and you can add individual sounds. However as we do not fully support FSX yet we have not ventured down this route just yet.

Sorry to not be able to answer you're question, but like I said, you can replace the AI sounds in the master sound folder with something more appropriate, or one of many sound upgrades that are available on the internet sites.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
oak666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by oak666 »

OK, I had better not tinker with the defaults. Thanks for such a quick reply and the explanation.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

oak666 wrote:OK, I had better not tinker with the defaults. Thanks for such a quick reply and the explanation.
By all means do tinker with the defaults, just make sure you copy them and rename them "...._default" first so you can put them back in afterwards. Tinkering is how we all got started being able to develop all these models, and files for you in the first place.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Not strictly true.

There is/used to be a program called FSHotSFX that allowed you to change sounds for individual AI aircraft.

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=e ... Add7gYCzCY

Check this forum for workarounds tips etc
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?show ... SHot&st=50
nigelf
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by nigelf »

I use FshotFX but it only enhances take off and landing. Still, it is worth having if still available.
You can genearte your own sounds and apply them to each aircraft. The maiw Holloman package
sounds awsome with the volume turned up with all the F18's taking off. I have even got a good sound
for Nick's Chinooks taking off and flying past. Worth the $spent. Instructions in the readme explain how
to make sounds.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

There are also several freeware AI sound enhancement packages where people have gone in and updated the default AI sounds to something more realistic using real aircraft recordings. I just downloaded one that I really like. Can't recall the name of it but it was on AVSIM.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

MIKE JG wrote:There are also several freeware AI sound enhancement packages where people have gone in and updated the default AI sounds to something more realistic using real aircraft recordings. I just downloaded one that I really like. Can't recall the name of it but it was on AVSIM.
You can do that but it only changes the defaults sounds for all aircraft. Also doesn't allow for spool up or reverse thrust.
FSHotSFX gives you spool up, reverse thrust and general sounds that can be individual for every aircraft. I think by default 50 or so are supplied with the install.
Watch the video, you can hear the diffence between the MD-80 take off and the Jumbo take off.

I had it some years ago, might email the developer and get a re-install key so I can use it again.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Where can I get FSHotSFX from?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Read through this thread, I think the trial version is still on Avsim.

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=e6 ... FSHot&st=0