The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

AI Aircraft Properties and VFR Pattern Size

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
flyerkg
Major
Major
Version: P3D

AI Aircraft Properties and VFR Pattern Size

Post by flyerkg »

I am seeking assistance with any technique possible to shrink the size of patterns for AI military aircraft.

As an example I have created flight plans using Nick Black F/A-18 Hornets to flight VFR patterns and simulate FCLP at MCAS Miramar.

No matter what I try with AFCAD properties, AI downwind leg and base leg remain significantly farther from the active runway than real-life.

Is it possible to rename and configure the same aircraft to fly low and slow for tighter patterns?

Keith
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: AI Aircraft Properties and VFR Pattern Size

Post by MIKE JG »

The pattern size is a function of the FS9 AI engine. Not much if anything can be done about that.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Mike,

Thank you for response. I am also experimenting with ADE and the approach mode for FSX to see if I can shape an approach with terminal waypoints. This might only resolve one of my concerns.

Keith
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

The FS9 AI engine makes "conventional patterns" while military jets in real life fly "close patterns". Two different types of patterns. You'll have to live with the fact that FS9 is a civilian sim :smt002
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Greg,

I appreciate the response. I will admit. I understand the difference between various patterns, having logged real time in military and civilian aircraft. I was hoping some of the brilliant minds on this forum might have some work around solutions in the works. Perhaps with the evolution of flight simulations, we might eventually see more military operations included in the products off the shelf.
Keith
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

There was a bloke a few years ago that fiddled with the FS engine code and made short final approaches but it worked across the whole sim and for some AI aircraft they were unable to correct and land on the runway straight. I can't recall what it called or if it still exists on Avsim.

Mark
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

There is another "option". Not really AI per say in the fact that they don't interact real time with the environment around them, (no traffic or ATC interaction). But if you want to have fighters coming back to base flying an overhead break pattern, you can do that, even with AI models. The catch is that you have to set them up as Recorder module flights. You then have to load them up to see them display. It works just fine for a "visual" effect. In fact it looks really cool in game but it's not the answer we're looking for, just a substitute.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Mike,

Thank you for responses on other potential solutions. I even tried forcing AI to invisible runways with multiple AFCADs to shape the intended pattern size, but just as mentioned before, everything is modeled for GA type flying. If anyone can get AI to turn with 60-70 degree bank angle or better, I would be happy to know how to do this.

Keith
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Keith,
Simple answer is that you can't get aircraft to bank like that the AI engine is designed to be a subset of the full capabilities of a real aircraft, and by real aircraft MS mean airliners.
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

After reading this I guess there is nothing I can do, but watched a KC-135 today at KNPA make 2 go-arounds trying to make rwy 7R. I was using real wx, with winds 122 @10. Just started the sim (FSX) and caught BOLT xx entering right downwind for 7R. I'm guessing the AI engine was unable to compensate for the winds on the first 2 overshoots, but eventually got it and did the standard TNG and off to KMCF. My first thought was if there was a way to change the angle of bank properties in the AI aircraft.cfg, I assume not and its something that just happens, after all it's AI.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

You can change the bank angle, max pitch and default vertical speed in the cfg file, it's just that they are in the autopilot section and the AI engine seems to ignore it.
Steve