The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Atlantic City USCG HH-65

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
eli
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Atlantic City USCG HH-65

Post by eli »

I made some repaints of the USCG Atlantic City HH-65 from uscghh65pack.zip. I then made some parking spaces at KACY and made some flight plans. I could not get the aircraft to show up. I tried a whole bunch of stuff but can't see them there. I did notice that the aircraft.cfg did not have a section on [airplane_geometry] so I used AI-Aircraft Editor from the Owl's Nest to give the aircraft a wingspan. Already tried other AI helicopters and they show up. Double checked and the parking codes are correct. Any suggestions?

Tom
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Atlantic City USCG HH-65

Post by Firebird »

OK this isn't a step by step guide, rather its a methodology, simply because each aircraft will be different and therefore you have to understand the way to transform an fde to fit the model you want.

Firstly I can't find any zip file of that name so i can't check for sure but as a rule of thumb it's best that you don't start with the models fde. You should start with the fde of an AI aircraft of a similar type that you know works fine.

Then you leave the flying attributes of the fde alone, as it already works, and alter the mdl attribute parts to the parms that are in the fde that came with the model. By this I mean things like the lights and contact points section, but not exclusively. These have no bearing on the flying and directly relate to how the mdl relates to it's surroundings.

Once you have finished you will have a model that will look right on the ground and in the air and will fly right. Simplistic but that's the principle. They are times when you complete this and think that there are some flying attributes that you wish to change. This is a whole different ball game and is a bit of a black art, as altering one flying characteristic will inevitably alter something else.
Steve
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Most kind, Ron.

One other thing that I forgot to say is that this modding can only be for your personal use unless the original author allows you to distribute it. I appreciate that you may not have any intention of that but I have to say it.
Steve
eli
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by eli »

Got the aircraft to show up. Seems all I had to do was change the aircraft.cgf entry from Category=helicopter to Category=airplane.

New new problem - Aircraft will taxi, stop briefly at hold short, line up on runway and just sit there. Any suggestions?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Category=aircraft? Is this an FSX thing?

If so then I can't help as I only use FS9.
Steve
nigelf
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by nigelf »

You need to use Holgers stemme glider air file with the contact points from the original cfg.
The reason it sits at the start of the runway is that your config is for turbine engine.