The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

AI Models, Question from a new starter

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
andras1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: AI Models, Question from a new starter

Post by andras1 »

the standard prop animation does not work for my helis since the prop_still does not have the slow accelaration or expiration of the rotor. I think the function is useable for piston engine props or propjets with a prop brake.

I have been trying to go with xml but I do not find a way to connect the function to anything reasonable. The nav lights are switched on too long before the taxiing process and the beacon is too close to it. Any ideas as to which event I try to connect. Battery or other thinks apparently do not work for ai planes. BTW has anybody tried to connect xml orders to the tachometer?

Andras
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Well I think you've found one of the many limitations of an AI model versus a user model.

You are correct in that you do not get the slow acceleration of a prop with an AI model. It just comes on instantly. That is something for an AI model that you may have to live with.

I don't even have an idea of how you could use XML scripts to produce a startup sequence for an AI helicopter model. AI models and therefore their engines are either on or off (1 or 0), there's no in between. So using the tach as a parameter probably wouldn't work either.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
andras1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andras1 »

well I am not sure your absolutely right. One could make the slow acceleration using the keyframes up to 1000 with a long lag. That is working on my model. What I was not able to deal with was how to get the change from the rotor to the disk which would use a tick18 animation. Do you now how Microsoft has set up the prop animation?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

I think the disc animation is triggered on AI models by the engine coming on. So you could spin up your rotors then have them replaced by the prop disc when the engine is on. Problem is you would have to come up with a trigger to start the rotor animation. Not sure how you would be able to do that other than using the nav lights which come on up to 15 minutes prior to the model's departure time.

The actual disc is triggered automatically by simply using the part name "Prop_blurred". You might be able to have the rotor animation end with the beacon coming on. Then the "prop_blurred" part would automatically trigger and appear after that.

Another way you might do it would be to use the rotor animation the whole time while on the ground up to the hold short point. You could use the strobe lights as a trigger to then turn that animation on, and trigger a new animation for the prop disc. You wouldn't be able to call it "prop_blurred" however.

Except that I just realized that this wouldn't work for a model that has skids and would need the appearance of a hover taxi.

Not an easy problem to solve for sure.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
andras1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andras1 »

yes, this would be my follow up question. The heli needs to take off before it starts moving and to land after it stops moving. In principle that should be easy. I connect the take off animation to the beacon. That means however, it is going to take off after bthe beacon is sitched on and to land after the beacon is sitched off. This however requires a different rotor animation since the rotor switches off with before the beacon is out.
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

How about using PROP RPM or PROP MAX RPM PERCENT?

Rotor is treated basically as a prop anyway by MSFS.