The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Gladiators package by Desmond Burrell & John Stinstrom

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Gladiators package by Desmond Burrell & John Stinstrom

Post by Greg »

Post any and all support related comments for this package in this thread. The Package Manager will look into your problem as soon as possible.

NOTE 1: As this package contains scenery and AFD files that have been previously used in MAIW releases, please pay careful attention to the included readme file for complete installation instructions.

NOTE 2: Support for FSX users will not be offered in this thread. Instead FSX support can be had by posting questions in the MAIW Packages in FSX support thread located here.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Gladiators package by Desmond Burrell & John Stinstrom

Post by MIKE JG »

Before making comments about the coastline at NAS Key West having elevation issues in your setup please understand that when the scenery is tested on a default setup, everything is as it should be.

As soon as you add in something like Free Flow Florida coastline or Ultimate Terrain USA, your results for this scenery may not be perfect as anytime you put an airport right next to the ocean (sea level) there are bound to be some elevation issues.

Most elevation issues can be resolved by adjusting the height of the AFD file for that base up or down a foot or two. Just takes some experimentation to see what works.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Cowboymarine1593
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Cowboymarine1593 »

one of the birds is givin my computer fits, everytime i go to look at it the screen goes black, if i could get a tail number id relay it but it shows the jet for a split second then black and its one that is based at oceana
Cowboymarine1593
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cowboymarine1593 »

one of the birds is givin my computer fits, everytime i go to look at it the screen goes black, if i could get a tail number id relay it but it shows the jet for a split second then black and its one that is based at oceana.

update,

i have tried everything i know since it has come out now i have come to the conclusion i dont know what could be the problem, if anyone else is having the problem or may have a solution, would be a great help. i do have the oceana hornets that Aaron did, i dont know if that has something to do with it or not.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Cowboymarine1593 wrote:one of the birds is givin my computer fits, everytime i go to look at it the screen goes black, if i could get a tail number id relay it but it shows the jet for a split second then black and its one that is based at oceana.

update,

i have tried everything i know since it has come out now i have come to the conclusion i dont know what could be the problem, if anyone else is having the problem or may have a solution, would be a great help. i do have the oceana hornets that Aaron did, i dont know if that has something to do with it or not.
Generally this type of problem is bound to some texture in wrong format.
At a first check there are no problem with the Hornets coming with the package, but I remember there was this problem with the first version of Oceana Hornet by Aaron. The problem was corrected in an updated pack uploaded on Flightsim.

Cheers, Giorgio
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If you could use a tool like TVB or traffictoolbox then you should be able to cycle through the aircraft until you come to the one with the problem. That will give you serial number, let us know what the serial is and we can see what the problem is and fix it.

Thanks.
Steve
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

Yup, I'm getting a CTD too at Oceana within 15 seconds or so of starting up there. I didn't have the problem after installing the first version of the Oceana Hornets so I can only assume it's related to this new package. I''ll keep 'fiddling' to see if I can isolate it.
Regards,

Alan
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

Cowboymarine1593 wrote:one of the birds is givin my computer fits, everytime i go to look at it the screen goes black, if i could get a tail number id relay it but it shows the jet for a split second then black and its one that is based at oceana.

update,

hmm, if you have Aired, you can change the jets to visible and see if you have the same issue in the aircraft selection screen
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

reconmercs wrote:

update,

hmm, if you have Aired, you can change the jets to visible and see if you have the same issue in the aircraft selection screen
Tried that and no problem arising. I've also removed the traffic files and still getting a CTD so it's something else that's causing the problem. The case continues....
Regards,

Alan
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

I've just finished to test all the aircraft of the package (also the F-5) at my test airport without any problem.
Alan, if you didn't notice the problem when you have installed the Oceana pack from Aaron, probably is because you were at the airport at different time.
Try to remove the traffic for them, and verify if problem persist.

Giorgio
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

bismarck wrote:I've just finished to test all the aircraft of the package (also the F-5) at my test airport without any problem.
Alan, if you didn't notice the problem when you have installed the Oceana pack from Aaron, probably is because you were at the airport at different time.
Try to remove the traffic for them, and verify if problem persist.

Giorgio
Tried that as well but still a problem. I will try starting up at a different season of the year to see if that makes any difference. Watch this space...
Regards,

Alan
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Alan, pretty sure you've done this, but I noted your reference to "original" Oceana Hornets.

Confirm that you have removed each and every part of the "original" package?
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

MIKE JG wrote:Might be a missing seasonal ground texture for that part of the world. Have you tried changing seasons to see if it still happens?
Just tried a change of season but with no luck, I'm afraid.
Regards,

Alan
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

Stewart Pearson wrote:Alan, pretty sure you've done this, but I noted your reference to "original" Oceana Hornets.

Confirm that you have removed each and every part of the "original" package?
Well, I removed the traffic files from that package to exclude the possibility of it being an aircraft texture that was to blame but, otherwise, I left it intact. I'm 100% certain though that it was all ok at the time as I recall doing a few circuits of the airfield with no CTD in sight. I'm going to now start removing recently installed scenery files and AFCADs until the problem goes away then start reinstalling in batches to try and isolate. Been here before and it's a looooooooooooooong job but needs must. :(
Regards,

Alan
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

The reason I asked Alan, is that if you have two aircraft cfg entries (Original and Gladiator) in two aircraft folders, then their may be a conflict as the sim tries to use the two texture files at once.

Might be worth booting out all the original aircraft entries, as there is a possibility of two being the same.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

Stewart Pearson wrote:The reason I asked Alan, is that if you have two aircraft cfg entries (Original and Gladiator) in two aircraft folders, then their may be a conflict as the sim tries to use the two texture files at once.

Might be worth booting out all the original aircraft entries, as there is a possibility of two being the same.
I'll run AI Traffic Check and see if it throws up any 'not a unique identifier' queries. Might be tomorrow now before I have results as us old folk need an early bed. :roll:
Regards,

Alan
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

Re my post above earlier today, no joy, I'm afraid. Still getting a CTD. However, in all these instances, to ensure consistency, I've been starting FS9 with the day set to Monday (various times of the day). I've just started it up set to Wednesday and, voila, no problem! Sometimes you just have to despair, eh? Anyways, I'm now stumped. Just to reiterate though, there is an error in the compiled traffic file MAIW_Gladiators.
Regards,

Alan
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Thanks for that Alex. It seems that we missed some tidy up on all the F-5 models included in this package.
Trying to decrease the number of aircraft directories, I merged all the same aircraft from various packages under a single directory. (not yet for every AC)
The F-5 required a hard job, due to a large number of models used, many of them with the same name, but different dimensions.
In the attached Excel file, you can find a sheet explaining which aircraft uses which Air file, Model file, and its dimension.
In order to have all of them under the same directory, some Model dir has been renamed. Obviously this must be also reported in the aircraft.cfg in the relevant [fltsim] section.

Giorgio
Attachments
F-5.xls
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Alright a new version has been uploaded incorporating all the fixes that were required.

I've also cleaned up this support thread so it's a little more organized.

Here is the set of missing waypoint AFD files that you can download separately in case you just need them and have made the other fixes yourself.
Attachments
MAIW_Gladiators Package Waypoints.zip
These waypoints were originally omitted from the package. They are required for the flight plans to function correctly.
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by expat »

I cannot get the NAS Key West AFCAD bgl to recompile using ADE - I was trying to change some parking codes and add some library objects. In fact it won't recompile if I don't make any changes. Any thoughts why this is ?