The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

NAWS China Lake package by Desmond Burrell & John Stinstrom

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
eli
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: NAWS China Lake package by Desmond Burrell & John Stinstrom

Post by eli »

I have been waiting for this for a while - I want to thank the whole MAIW crew for making such outstanding AI packages for our use. Now I can retire the scenery and flight plans I had put together (nowhere near the quality of MAIW).

Tom E.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by reconmercs »

Thud wrote:Hi guys,

Great pack again!! Thanks a lot! But I was a bit worried when reading the frontpage....is this Des last pack or latest? Would be terrible if he quits...did I miss something?

that's just a typo, its my "latest" not last :wink:
Thud
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Thud »

:D Happy to hear that!! Thanks a lot!
"He saluted us with something fighter pilots understand, a buzz job by the boss"
Jack Broughton - Going Downtown
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

Lovely package this one!!!

Thanks! :D
ardethomas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ardethomas »

Thank you for another great package!!! :drink:
MrJollyroger103
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by MrJollyroger103 »

First day here, and im just blown away with the work here guys! Fantastic job...

Welcome back Blacklion10, if you behave yourself this time around we might let you stay. However lying to all of us right off the bat is not a good way to start. We're watching...... -Mods
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by timbob1 »

:) Superb work guys
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
andrewgrey715
Cadet
Cadet

Post by andrewgrey715 »

Another great package guys. I was wondering if I may report a possible problem I noticed while flying into China Lake. I noticed it did not show up on my GPS map until I did a 'direct to' KNID. I was receiving commo from LA Center, but China Lake Tower/Approach wasn't showing on the ATC menu. I was approaching from the NE.

Also, when starting up and using progressive taxi from 'Combat 10' parking spot and receiving taxi clearance to Rwy 8, the 'purple line' was not following the taxiway, but off to one side. And I am showing parking aprons that are clay? (I think). Is that right for KNID? ...just wondering and no biggie. Maybe I got MAIW landclass in the wrong spot?

The aircraft and scenery look great, as usual. Just wanted to let you know what I found. I don't really mess with trying to fix things.

Thanks again and hopefully not sounding like I am bitching about yet another great, free package,

Andrew
FS2004
38th ID - Avengers of Bataan
jackryan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jackryan »

Hi Guys,

I love your work and have found every other package amazing and dead on accurate. I used to crew Hornets out of Lemoore many moons ago and it was scary how dead on it was. Anyway I just installed China Lake and I went to load it up and the the boot up scale went to 47% and crashed to desktop.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
FS9.1
Ultimate Terrain
Rex

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Sean
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

@Andrew, I'm guessing this is owing to how the scenery was created. For KNID it is a combination of several AFD files, one for the main bits and parking and one for the taxiway signs. As the scenery is created using multiple texture types for the runways to match the real world, it was not possible to compile the AFD file into a single file using ADE9. So the easiest way to make the scenery was to use multiple AFD files for KNID. This probably gives some weird effects like you might be reporting. Short of doing a complete custom scenery job for KNID for all the runways, taxiways, etc. it's something we're going to have to live with.

@Sean, did you try loading the scenery at a different time of the day or a different season? I tested this package on a clean FS9 setup and it the scenery did crash on me several times but it was never consistent so I could not narrow down the cause.

Usually it is caused by a missing texture file in the Scenery/World/Texture folder but I made sure to include all the required texture files and probably a few that are not required.

If you can narrow it down to a specific time, day, season, etc. that might help track down the issue.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
jackryan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jackryan »

MIKE JG wrote: @Sean, did you try loading the scenery at a different time of the day or a different season? I tested this package on a clean FS9 setup and it the scenery did crash on me several times but it was never consistent so I could not narrow down the cause.

Usually it is caused by a missing texture file in the Scenery/World/Texture folder but I made sure to include all the required texture files and probably a few that are not required.

If you can narrow it down to a specific time, day, season, etc. that might help track down the issue.

I had no success loading the day time scenery in any season. I was able to load the scenery at night however. I hope this helps.

Sean
andrewgrey715
Cadet
Cadet

Post by andrewgrey715 »

Thanks for the response, and your explaining that. I have been on MSFS since about '83, you would think I might have learned a little something about this by now :p I can live with any killer package problems that are also free. My god, what you guys have accomplished over the last few years. I was flying around Teton National Park the other day and got surprised-buzzed by a couple B-1B Lancers eastbound for Ellsworth. I thought that was really cool. :)
38th ID - Avengers of Bataan
jackryan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jackryan »

Hi All,

I did some trouble shooting by removing bgl files and trying to load a day time flight. Through trial and error I was able to isolate the offending bgls:

China_Lake_VTPL.BGL
China_Lake_VTPP.BGL

if I remove them I can start at china lake in the day time. Of course the terrain looks a little weird and there is grass and bushes all over the runways and taxiways.

I hope this helps.

Sean
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Sean those two files add lines (roads, railroads, rivers) and the airport polygons (backgrounds), so they are trying to call certain global terrain textures to draw those features.

The fact that these two files are causing a CTD on your system might be an indication that you are missing a couple default textures from your FS9/Scenery/World/Texture folder.

Without the SBuilder source files for those two files, I can't tell you which textures are being used.

Since you are using REX, I'm guessing it either replaced a couple textures, somehow renamed them or deleted them from you system.

I gonna have Mark C. send you a couple textures to try out and see if that fixes the problem. I don't have access to my main machine for a week till I get home.
-Mike G.

jackryan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jackryan »

Well I re did the theme in Rex and that seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks for all your help.

sean
dtomlinson
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dtomlinson »

Hi Everyone,
I'm having the same issue as Sean. I can only load KNID at night. It crashes FS9 when I attempt to lad it during the day time.
RotorRx
Cadet
Cadet

Post by RotorRx »

I to can only load at night. I am not using REX, but I am using ultimate terrain. Would be interested in those to files. Thanks.

Phil
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Did you guys try changing the season? This sounds like your setup is trying to load either a land class texture or an airport background texture that is not in you setup.
-Mike G.

RotorRx
Cadet
Cadet

Post by RotorRx »

Tried all four seasons with same result, CTD.

Phil
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Hmmm..... I have UTUSA installed and it works just fine on my end.

What happens if you disable the China Lake scenery? Can you load the default China Lake ok??
-Mike G.