The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

6th Anniversary AI Airshow Support Thread

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

6th Anniversary AI Airshow Support Thread

Post by Greg »

Post support related comments for this package in this thread. The Package Manager will look into your problem as soon as possible.

NOTE 1: Keep this thread clean and post ONLY support related comments here. For all other discussions about this package, please reply to the release announcement.

NOTE 2: We will only provide support for bugs in our packages, not for conflicts with other addons in a user's highly modified simulator setup.

NOTE 3: Support for FSX users will not be offered in this thread. Instead FSX community support can be had from other users by posting questions in our "Unofficial Flight Simulator X Forums".

NOTE 4: In order for this package to work correctly YOU MUST FOLLOW THE README INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY or you will miss out on all of the AI action that takes place. When the installer finishes and the Readme file automatically opens, please read it carefully and follow the instructions on when and where and how to view the airshow.
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: 6th Anniversary AI Airshow Support Thread

Post by Alan Robertson »

There's an AFCAD for a waypoint FNPA in the package but this is a stock airport in FS9 for Porto Amboim in Angola. Any ideas?
Regards,

Alan
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Good spot.
It sounds like something that didn't occur to Mike when he was creating this work.
Now do you actually use this airfield? If so you have a problem and therefore potentially Mike would have to come up with a new naming standard and re-compile all of the flightplans.

So the question is is there somebody that uses it?
Steve
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

Alan Robertson wrote:There's an AFCAD for a waypoint FNPA in the package but this is a stock airport in FS9 for Porto Amboim in Angola. Any ideas?
Alan,

The FNPA AFCAD for Sherman Field is not a waypoint, but an additional dummy runway located right at Sherman Field and this duplication with Porto Amboim shouldn't and never has affected the airshow flights whatsoever for me and shouldn't for you. Has it caused you any problems? If so, what were they? :?:

If you are indeed experiencing any problems from this AFCAD duplication, you'll just have to temporarily remove the Porto Amboim FNPA AFCAD whenever you have the airshow installed and running.

EDIT: Since, as you point out below, you can't remove the stock Porto Amboim airport AFCAD, if and when you experience any functional problems that are caused by the 2 FNPA AFCAD's I will make the necessary changes required to prevent the specific problems that you experience.

I apologize for having caused you this concern. :(

Mike M
Last edited by mikewmac on 13 Aug 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
    Mike M.
    Alan Robertson
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

mikewmac wrote:
    Alan Robertson wrote:There's an AFCAD for a waypoint FNPA in the package but this is a stock airport in FS9 for Porto Amboim in Angola. Any ideas?
    Alan,

The FNPA AFCAD for Sherman Field just contains a dummy runway and this duplication with Porto Amboim never affected the airshow flights whatsoever for me and shouldn't for you. Has it caused you any problems? If so, what were they? :?:

If you are indeed experiencing any problems from this AFCAD duplication, you'll just have to temporarily remove the Porto Amboim FNPA AFCAD whenever you have the airshow installed and running.

Sorry for that. :(

Mike M
    Haven't managed to find the time yet to check if it has an effect but, as I mentioned, FNPA is a 'stock' airport in FS9 and I'm not entirely sure how that can be disabled. Whether or not any other traffic plans in Africa utilise it I'm not able to say.
    Regards,

Alan
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Firebird wrote:Good spot.
    It sounds like something that didn't occur to Mike when he was creating this work.
    Now do you actually use this airfield? If so you have a problem and therefore potentially Mike would have to come up with a new naming standard and re-compile all of the flightplans.

So the question is is there somebody that uses it?
    Steve,

I did notice this duplication, but since the 2 FNPA AFCAD's have completely different locations and the Porto Amboim AFCAD is not included in the 3 traffic files for the airshow, I didn't think there should be any problem caused by this duplication. I certainly never experienced any during all of my exhaustive testing.

If the Porto Amboin FNPA AFCAD is used in any different traffic files, I don't think the Sherman Field FNPA AFCAD should cause any problems there either. Shouldn't these traffic files be completely independent of one another and therefore not cause any conflict problems? :?:

Mike M
    Last edited by mikewmac on 13 Aug 2012, 12:00, edited 2 times in total.
      Mike M.
      mikewmac
      MAIW Veteran
      MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Alan Robertson wrote:
      mikewmac wrote:
      Alan,

The FNPA AFCAD for Sherman Field just contains a dummy runway and this duplication with Porto Amboim never affected the airshow flights whatsoever for me and shouldn't for you. Has it caused you any problems? If so, what were they? :?:

Sorry for that. :(

Mike M
      Haven't managed to find the time yet to check if it has an effect but, as I mentioned, FNPA is a 'stock' airport in FS9 and I'm not entirely sure how that can be disabled. Whether or not any other traffic plans in Africa utilise it I'm not able to say.
      Alan,

I forgot about the Porto Amboim AFCAD being a stock airport, so unfortunately removing it is not an option. As I just posted above, I really didn't and still don't think that this duplication will cause anyone any problems. The 2 FNPA AFCAD's are located at different, widely separated locations and should never be included in the same traffic files, so I can't see how they could ever cause any conflict problems. It certainly didn't during all the exhaustive testing that this package has undergone.

Mike M
      Last edited by mikewmac on 13 Aug 2012, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
        Mike M.
        Alan Robertson
        First Lieutenant
        First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

Ok, but if I find a whole lot of Angolan Air Force Mig-21s doing a flypast there'll be hell to pay! :D
        Regards,

Alan
        mikewmac
        MAIW Veteran
        MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Alan Robertson wrote:Ok, but if I find a whole lot of Angolan Air Force Mig-21s doing a flypast there'll be hell to pay! :D
        Alan,

I think that might be a great surprise addition to the airshow, don't you? :o :shock: :lol:

Mike M
          Mike M.
          Stewart Pearson
          MAIW Staff
          MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

mikewmac wrote:
          Alan Robertson wrote:Ok, but if I find a whole lot of Angolan Air Force Mig-21s doing a flypast there'll be hell to pay! :D
          Alan,

I think that might be a great surprise addition to the airshow, don't you? :o :shock: :lol:

Mike M
          Maybe so......................but then everyone will want them!!! :twisted:
          Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
          Firebird
          MAIW Admin
          MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

mikewmac wrote:If the Porto Amboin FNPA AFCAD is used in any different traffic files, I don't think the Sherman Field FNPA AFCAD should cause any problems there either. Shouldn't these traffic files be completely independent of one another and therefore not cause any conflict problems?
          You are probably right and this is why I asked the question as to whether it was an actual problem or a potential one.
          My thinking here is that the airports file will have the lat and long for Angola and should not interfere with the airshow package. Of course the only way we are going to be able to check is for somebody to create a simple afcad for Angola to add parking spots and then add traffic there, to move at the same time, in GMT, as the airshow movements and then load it up and see if the aircraft appear in the wrong place.
          Steve
          jerel2k7
          Second Lieutenant
          Second Lieutenant

Post by jerel2k7 »

After installing the package I noticed that the following four aircraft no longer exist. Original Aircraft.cfg was backed up and replaced during installation.

CFG File Aircraft Error
          Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl MAIW_NBAI_FA18C_USN_NFDS_161959 (#AC10) Aircraft in Flightplan not present
          Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl MAIW_NBAI_FA18C_USN_NFDS_163106 (#AC11) Aircraft in Flightplan not present
          Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl MAIW_NBAI_FA18D_USN_NFDS_163464 (#AC18) Aircraft in Flightplan not present
          Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl MAIW_NBAI_FA18D_USN_NFDS_163468 (#AC19) Aircraft in Flightplan not present

Do I need to remove these four entries in the "Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl" ?

Thank you.
          AVSIM Library Director
          Firebird
          MAIW Admin
          MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK after checking you have actually highlighted a couple of things. Firstly, under notams, #2, it does mention what to do to return KNPA traffic back to normal which is to copy the MAIW_NAS_Pensacola traffic file back to its original location, but what it doesn't do is tell you to delete it in the first place.
          The readme may well get altered.

However, one thing that those planes that you listed did highlight is that 163464 and 163468 turned from F/A-18Ds, original package, into F/A-18C's for the airshow package. I have checked online and found that they are indeed D's.
          Also 161959 and 163106 changed from the original C's into D's, also inaccurate.

I think it best to let Mike check to see if it is a simple case of altering the aircraft.cfg file for the 4 aircraft or whether he feels that the flightplans need to be altered as well.
          Steve
          mikewmac
          MAIW Veteran
          MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

jerel2k7 wrote:After installing the package I noticed that the following four aircraft no longer exist. Original Aircraft.cfg was backed up and replaced during installation.

CFG File Aircraft Error
          Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl MAIW_NBAI_FA18C_USN_NFDS_161959 (#AC10) Aircraft in Flightplan not present
          Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl MAIW_NBAI_FA18C_USN_NFDS_163106 (#AC11) Aircraft in Flightplan not present
          Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl MAIW_NBAI_FA18D_USN_NFDS_163464 (#AC18) Aircraft in Flightplan not present
          Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl MAIW_NBAI_FA18D_USN_NFDS_163468 (#AC19) Aircraft in Flightplan not present

Do I need to remove these four entries in the "Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl" ?

Thank you.
          No, you should not remove these as they are still used for the original MAIW NAS Pensacola weekday traffic. However, it is imperative that if you install the MAIW 6th Anniversary AI Airshow package manually that you do it correctly and replace all the original MAIW NAS Pensacola files that would be replaced by the automatic installation.

A correctly accomplished installation of the MAIW 6th Anniversary AI Airshow package will replace a number of files from the original MAIW NAS Pensacola package.The original "Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl" file is among these and is replaced with a slightly modified one that has all the original AI Blue Angel F-18's and Fat Albert absent from Sherman field on Saturdays until after the airshow is completed and then has them return once the airshow versions of these AI aircraft have departed later on Saturday.

Folders containing backups of all the original MAIW NAS Pensacola files that are changed during the installation of the MAIW 6th Anniversary AI Airshow package have been provided in the locations of the original MAIW NAS Pensacola files that are changed during this installation in order for you to easily return the the MAIW NAS Pensacola package to its original configuration as described in the Readme file.

Mike M
            Mike M.
            mikewmac
            MAIW Veteran
            MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Firebird wrote:OK after checking you have actually highlighted a couple of things. Firstly, under notams, #2, it does mention what to do to return KNPA traffic back to normal which is to copy the MAIW_NAS_Pensacola traffic file back to its original location, but what it doesn't do is tell you to delete it in the first place.
            The readme may well get altered.

However, one thing that those planes that you listed did highlight is that 163464 and 163468 turned from F/A-18Ds, original package, into F/A-18C's for the airshow package. I have checked online and found that they are indeed D's.
            Also 161959 and 163106 changed from the original C's into D's, also inaccurate.

I think it best to let Mike check to see if it is a simple case of altering the aircraft.cfg file for the 4 aircraft or whether he feels that the flightplans need to be altered as well.
            Steve,

The Readme does not tell the user to delete the "Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl" since as described above a correct manual installation equal to the automatic installation of the MAIW 6th Anniversary AI Airshow package will replace that traffic file with a slightly modified one that keeps Sherman Field clear of any of the original MAIW NAS Pensacola AI Blue Angel F-18's and Fat Albert long enough on Saturdays for the airshow versions of these AI to arrive, perform in the airshow and depart. The original versions of the AI Blue Angel F-18's and Fat Albert return later Saturday and are used the other 6 days of the week.

I realize that the switch of two of the original F-18D's to F-18C's and two of the original F-18C's to F-18D's is not authentically correct relative to their BuNO numbers. I did it intentionally so that AI Blue Angel #7 and #8 would take off, perform and return as F-18C's. Unfortunately the AI Blue Angel #7 animated model was created as an F-18C and then the creator went on an extended vacation. Due to the very tight schedule for completing the MAIW 6th Anniversary AI Airshow package I was left with the choice of taking creative license and having AI Blue Angel #7 and #8 depart as F-18D's, perform as F-18C's and return as F-18D's or be authentically incorrect for the short duration of the airshow on Saturday mornings and have AI Blue Angel #7 and #8 depart, perform and return as F-18C's. Obviously I chose the latter option with the hope that it would go unnoticed, but that obviously didn't work out. :(

I see no need to alter anything in the MAIW 6th Anniversary AI Airshow package since with it installed the switch to four unauthentic AI Blue Angel F-18C and D designations relative to their BuNo numbers only occurs for a brief period Saturday mornings through Saturday afternoons and for the other six days of the week the original authentic AI Blue Angel F-18C and D designations relative to their BuNo numbers are still used.

If this situation is too disturbing to anyone's sense of authenticity, then I have provided them the means to easily return the MAIW NAS Pensacola package to its original configuration and 100% Blue Angel F-18C and D authenticity relative to their BuNo numbers for seven days a week instead of six.

Mike M
              Mike M.
              jerel2k7
              Second Lieutenant
              Second Lieutenant

Post by jerel2k7 »

Thanks for replying... I am still not understanding from a AI perspective... I wish to keep the airshow package however if I leave the Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl as-is FS will burn cpu cycles looking for these missing entries and potentially crash. This is a fact and can be confirmed using filemon...FS will keep looking and looking.

CFG File Aircraft Error

No need to alter the 6th annv package. A simple fix to the NAS Pensacola package would be to decompile the Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl with TTools and remove these aircraft and recompile since the above aircraft are no longer valid real-world. Is that ok?
              Last edited by jerel2k7 on 14 Aug 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
              AVSIM Library Director
              bismarck
              MAIW Developer
              MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Mike, don't worry about which model departs and which model performs, this pack is fantastic as it is.
              :smt023

Giorgio
              mikewmac
              MAIW Veteran
              MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

bismarck wrote:Mike, don't worry about which model departs and which model performs, this pack is fantastic as it is.
              :smt023

Giorgio
              Thanks Bismarck,

I agree and have no intentions of changing anything unless it is absolutely necessary. I created this package with some minor creative license and I own any perceived deficiencies, but it works fine when installed properly, so I will take the heat and move on. :lol:

Mike M
                Mike M.
                Firebird
                MAIW Admin
                MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

jerel2k7 wrote:Thanks for replying... I am still not understanding from a AI perspective... I wish to keep the airshow package however if I leave the Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl as-is FS will burn cpu cycles looking for these missing entries and potentially crash. This is a fact and can be confirmed using filemon...FS will keep looking and looking.

CFG File Aircraft Error

No need to alter the 6th annv package. A simple fix to the NAS Pensacola package would be to decompile the Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl with TTools and remove these aircraft and recompile since the above aircraft are no longer valid real-world. Is that ok?
                Not quite correct. What Mike says is that in the anniversary package there is a Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl which replaces the original one. The package also supplies a backup of the original Pensacola Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl file should you want to return to a non-airshow setting. This is what is mentioned in the readme, the readme just doesn't mention that it overwrites the original bgl.

So if you install the airshow correctly you do not have those 4 left over cfg entries and you are not wasting CPU cycles.
                Steve
                mikewmac
                MAIW Veteran
                MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Firebird wrote:
                jerel2k7 wrote:Thanks for replying... I am still not understanding from a AI perspective... I wish to keep the airshow package however if I leave the Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl as-is FS will burn cpu cycles looking for these missing entries and potentially crash. This is a fact and can be confirmed using filemon...FS will keep looking and looking.

CFG File Aircraft Error

Not quite correct. What Mike says is that in the anniversary package there is a Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl which replaces the original one. The package also supplies a backup of the original Pensacola Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl file should you want to return to a non-airshow setting. This is what is mentioned in the readme, the readme just doesn't mention that it overwrites the original bgl.

So if you install the airshow correctly you do not have those 4 left over cfg entries and you are not wasting CPU cycles.
                Edited Post:

jerel2k7 and Steve,

I was just out for a relaxing drive around the beautiful Vermont countryside and while thinking about this situation, it occurred to me that a minor little last minute aircraft.cfg file change during the MAIW approval for release process for the MAIW 6th Anniversary AI Airshow package may have caused an aircraft.cfg file problem that is indeed causing the issue described by jerel2k7's and that I need to fix. I have to research it some more and do a little testing, but I think that there is an easy fix. In other words, there is not a problem with the Traffic_MAIW_NAS Pensacola.bgl file, but maybe with the aircraft.cfg file for the original NBAI Blue Angels.

When I have it all sorted out, I will post the results here and provide the fix.

Thanks for your patience,

Mike M
                  Mike M.