The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

US Navy Airliners Part 2 Support Thread

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
JohnStinstrom
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Re: US Navy Airliners Part 2 Support Thread

Post by JohnStinstrom »

Just installed the scenery and on runway 14\32 there is patches of grass bleeding through the runway (near the of of 14). And why don't the aircraft cast shadows option work right at this scenery? I have the option on but only some of the aircraft has shadows while other don't. (I am using FS9)

Joseph, normally the runways and taxiways will function as a built-in leveling file within 100ft or so of the runway (in FS9). I use ONLY the default setup to try to avoid elevation issues but sometimes they pop up anyway. Can you post a screen shot or PM me with one so I can see the issue?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Joseph,
I have had a look at the scenery myself and i get the same thing as you. It could be due to fsgenesis or UTUSA or FSFreeflow or something else I have done.
It is, however, easily fixable. I just added an apron underneath he affected runway which has the effect of leveling the scenery in that area. So try this modified afcad out.
Attachments
MAIW_AF2_KNIP_Custom.zip
(15.44 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Steve
ardethomas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ardethomas »

The crash happens while loading terrain during the daytime. I already replaced all textures as recommended. I will check on traffic later on.

Thanks!
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

When your CTD is happening, is it full blown daytime, or is it like dawn to daytime? Reason I ask is I haven't experienced any CTD's during daylight hours.
I have started my sim at 08, 10, 12, 13, 15 and 18 hundred and no problems on my test setup and my normal setup which includes UTUSA and FreeFlow Florida.
Les
Cadet

Post by skyhigh10driver »

Firebird wrote:
skyhigh10driver wrote:Hey guys, this looks like a GREAT package! I removed the WOA C-130s like you asked us to do but I do have a question about the USN Airliners Package 1 that you said we should remove. It's STILL got some planes that fly actively as far as I know so what should we do with them? Specifically, the C-12s out of McGuire. I work there and see 'em across from my parking lot every day (and a mighty nice new hanger they have, too). I'd hate to see them leave the virtual KWRI...what are your thoughts?
Are you getting confused? The instructions were to remove the USN_USMC_Airliners package from 2008, which only contained C-9s and C-40s. The instructions were not about removing the USN Airliners part1 from a few months ago. That particular package was the first part in a series to replace the original USN/USMC Herks and USN Airliners packages to bring them up to date.

Yep, looks like I misread your instructions then. With the statement "replace the original 'MAIW USN Airliners' package" I thought that's exactly what you were talking about. Thanks for the clarification on that one though...I had no idea there was an even earlier package. Thanks for the clarification Steve.
skyhigh10driver
Cadet
Cadet

Post by skyhigh10driver »

ardethomas,

I'm having the same trouble but only on another scenery (PAED). Hopefully if you can get this resolved for Jacksonville the same fix might apply for PAED. Good luck!
ardethomas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ardethomas »

It crashes at dawn, midday and dusk with and without AI traffic.
I have Free Flow Florida, and tried it both enabled and disabled.

Thank you.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Did you try changing the seasons?
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
ardethomas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ardethomas »

I changed seasons and the problem persists.
Curiously, there is no night lightning on KNIP. Is that normal?
I downloaded the package and reinstalled it manually.
Sorry to bother you with this.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Firebird wrote:Joseph,
I have had a look at the scenery myself and i get the same thing as you. It could be due to fsgenesis or UTUSA or FSFreeflow or something else I have done.
It is, however, easily fixable. I just added an apron underneath he affected runway which has the effect of leveling the scenery in that area. So try this modified afcad out.
Thanks. That fixed the runway problem.

JohnStinstrom wrote:
Just installed the scenery and on runway 14\32 there is patches of grass bleeding through the runway (near the of of 14). And why don't the aircraft cast shadows option work right at this scenery? I have the option on but only some of the aircraft has shadows while other don't. (I am using FS9)

Joseph, normally the runways and taxiways will function as a built-in leveling file within 100ft or so of the runway (in FS9). I use ONLY the default setup to try to avoid elevation issues but sometimes they pop up anyway. Can you post a screen shot or PM me with one so I can see the issue?
How do you do screenshots? All these years of simming and I never took a screenshot before. The runway problem was fixed, but the are still some planes with shadows and some with no shadows. I noticed the planes without shadows are next to buildings.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

ardethomas wrote:Does anybody have crashes to desktop when selecting KNIP scenery?
I have checked for duplicate AFCADS, or scenery entries with no luck.
Any ideas?
By the way, where is the landclass file for KNIP?

UPDATE:
It happens during daytime only. It loads succesfully on nighttime.
May be a case of missing textures for VTPL and VTPP files?

Thanks for the help.
Did you install the texture files that go into the scenery/world/texture folder?
ardethomas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ardethomas »

I did install all textures on the required files.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK you have double-checked the textures. First part done.
Now before you go any further try removing ALL traffic, including ours. The reason being is that if you have any troublesome aircraft textures, either at KNIP or within 10nm, then the same thing will happen. Rule that out before you go any further.
It is the next easiest problem to rule out. If it doesn't crash then we know what we are looking for.
Steve
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

One of the biggest causes of CTDs can be empty folders within the sim.

Have attached a doohickey called "Emptyfoldernuker" which may help.
Attachments
EmptyFolderNuker.zip
(162.63 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
ardethomas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ardethomas »

Thank you guys for the advice.
Once again I downloaded the package, reinstalled it manually on the prescribed folders, switched off and on AI traffic and changed seasons.
The problem occurs on daylight, dusk and dawn and right at the beginning while loading the terrain.
At nighttime the scenery loads without problems.
However, only the runway lighting is on, the rest including taxiways and buildings appear dark. Is that normal?

Thank You
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have checked the afcad and there is no lighting for taxiways and apron. Whether that is the case in real life only somebody that knows the base can say for sure. If there is flood lighting then there may well be a reduction or removal of taxiway lights.

You can always add some, for your own personal use, but I would keep a copy of the original as we can't support files that have been modified by individuals, for obvious reasons.

The buildings will be dark unless there are nightmaps provided. These will have an '_LM' suffix to the file name. They are a couple of LMs provided by gone are the days of all buildings lit up at night, in reality, and therefore the more accurate modellers follow suit as well.

Now on to the loading issue. Firstly did you have a problem with our first Jacksonville package installed, or did you not install that one?

The fact that you seem to be the only one, so far, with this issue, indicates that it is a personal set up issue rather than a general issue.
So what I would do know is try to take other scenery out of the issue. This may take a bit of fiddling about but it is the easiest way of sorting this out.
1. In your FS9 root folder, copy your 'scenery.cfg' file to 'scenery_safe.cfg'
2. Rename your 'Addon Scenery' folder to 'Addon Scenery_safe'

Here I will assume that you have indeed copied the files from the package '\Scenery\World\Texture' folder to your installation folders as well as the files and folder from the 'Effects' folder to your installation. This is to simplify this process.

3. Create a new 'Addon Scenery' folder and then create clean 'scenery' and 'texture' folders inside that.
4. Double check that your 'scenery_safe.cfg' exists and then edit your 'scenery.cfg' file to remove all scenery EXCEPT for the default MS libs which should go from Title=Default Terrain to Title=Addon Scenery. (You could use FS9 to inact them but this is just quicker.)

Now you have a pretty clean system and you can manually install again but you will need to activate the 'MAIW NAS Jacksonville (KNIP)' and 'MAIW Scenery Library Objects' folders again, as per the package instructions.

See what happens with that. If you still get the error then one of two things is causing it. One you have made an amendment to one of the default MS libs or textures that is erroring or there is a texture missing that everybody else has got installed.
I am ruling out the dawn/dusk blending issue here as you say that it crashes in daylight, i.e. midday local time.

Let us know what happens.
Steve
ardethomas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ardethomas »

I did everything according to Firebird's instructions and the same thing happens at dawn, dusk and daylight. (I have checked out dusk-dawn blending on settings).
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK. Well assuming that the dawn/dusk blending is switched off then I believe that we are down to the two options I mention.
It could be that there is at least one texture not included is required and the rest of has already have it installed due another package we have installed, that you do not. If you follow me. :D

It maybe that Mark C may be able to help with the use of his missing texture finder, but I don't know if he is available for such a task at the moment, or maybe somebody that has a virgin system (Stew) may be able to help further.

Are either of you guys available?
Steve
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

I can help sure, let me download the package first and see what I can find.

Mark :D
Mark
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Firebird wrote:OK. Well assuming that the dawn/dusk blending is switched off then I believe that we are down to the two options I mention.
It could be that there is at least one texture not included is required and the rest of has already have it installed due another package we have installed, that you do not. If you follow me. :D

It maybe that Mark C may be able to help with the use of his missing texture finder, but I don't know if he is available for such a task at the moment, or maybe somebody that has a virgin system (Stew) may be able to help further.

Are either of you guys available?
I'll give it a look. Been a hell of a long time since my name and the word virgin have been in the same sentence! :wink:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."