The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Beale AFB package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Perhaps a case for us not using pre-existing scenery for future releases?

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Keith Jones
Captain
Captain

Post by Keith Jones »

Firebird wrote:So to recap are we saying that these Beale problems only occur with FSX, or does anybody have them on FS9 as well?
I'm using FS9.1 (FS2004 with the update).
Where ever you go, there you are.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Status of MAIW Beale AFB Invisible Building Crash Problem

Post by mikewmac »

I have been in contact with Derek Webb of the now closed DBWSim Design team relative to this problem with taxiing user flyable aircraft experiencing invisible building crashes at Beale AFB when using their Beale AFB scenery. He explained to me that this was a known problem caused by the way FS9 loads certain scenery models and that they could never find a solution for it other than to turn off FS9 Crash Detection. :( :(

The fact that this problem was not communicated to either Kevin or I during our discussions with him about the use of their scenery in the MAIW Beale AFB package or was not included in their README files surprises me, but apparently Derek assumed that most FS9 users, including we Military AI enthusiasts, normally have FS9 Crash Detection turned off. :( :(

For those of you not familiar with the problem, you should understand that this problem only occurs when you taxi a user flyable FS9 aircraft around the MAIW Beale AFB. It does not happen when you use either Mobile Control Tower with MS Traffic Toolbox Explorer or Traffic View Board to observe or follow AI aircraft at the MAIW Beale AFB.

SUMMARY

The only viable fix for the problem with taxiing user flyable FS9 aircraft experiencing invisible building crashes at the MAIW Beale AFB when using the DBWSim Design Beale AFB scenery is:

TURN OFF YOUR FS9 CRASH DETECTION.

I certainly wish that there was a better fix, but, short of not using the DBWSim Design Beale AFB scenery at all, there isn't. :( :(

Regards,

Mike
Last edited by mikewmac on 04 Jul 2007, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jones
Captain
Captain

Post by Keith Jones »

OK. Thanks, Mike.
Where ever you go, there you are.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Keith Jones wrote:OK. Thanks, Mike.
You're welcome Keith. Thanks for pointing this problem out to us. I only wish we had caught it sooner so we could have warned all the users about it in the README files. :(

Mike
fredz
Cadet
Cadet

Post by fredz »

Mike,
Don't beat yourself up over this. Stuff happens! The bright and shinning part of this is that now Beale AFB looks like it should! Having been on base many times for air shows and such (both as a performer and as a spectator) I can tell you it looks great. Thanks to you and your team for all the hard work. Now if someone would just do Travis.......... :roll:
Later,
Fred Z
Fred Zealor
ICAS Air Show Announcer
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

fredz wrote:Mike,
Don't beat yourself up over this. Stuff happens! The bright and shinning part of this is that now Beale AFB looks like it should! Having been on base many times for air shows and such (both as a performer and as a spectator) I can tell you it looks great. Thanks to you and your team for all the hard work. Now if someone would just do Travis.......... :roll:
Later,
Fred Z
Thanks Fred,

I/we appreciate your kind words and am delighted that you are happy with the product of our efforts. :D

Mike
ugo1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ugo1 »

I saw that the T-38 are under the 372 TS (Training Squadron?) but nothing is said in the readme and from scramble site they are under the 1st RS (as reported also by the readme) Can someone clarify that?

Thanks

Ugo
StingingCanine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by StingingCanine »

The 372nd TRS is composed of 25 geographically separated units (Detachments) located around the world. They are primarily a maintenance training organization. The one at Beale is Detachment 21. Their mission is to "Deliver State-of-the-Art Aerospace Maintenance Training to War Fighters in DoD, and our Allies -- Anytime, Anyplace.

I'll make a guess that detachment 21 trains maintenance personal in U-2 systems. Out of curiosity, what is your source connecting them to the T-38?

The T-38's at Beale are part of the 1st RS and are considered a companion trainer to the 2 seat U-2.

Flying the U-2 is one of the toughest and highest skilled jobs in the USAF. Check out the application:

http://www.beale.af.mil/library/factshe ... sp?id=5077
ugo1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ugo1 »

StingingCanine wrote:Out of curiosity, what is your source connecting them to the T-38?
Hi

My source is scramble site (public part)

Scramble Database - Query Results
You searched for Code = 'BB' The query returned 20 record(s)
Maximum reached! Only first 20 records displayed. Please narrow your searchcriteria.
Serial Code Type CN Unit Status First Last Comment PreviousID
02-2010 BB RQ-4A-10 AF-3 12th RS act 28oct04 oct06
02-2013 BB RQ-4A-10 AF-6 12th RS act oct06
60-0578 BB T-38A N5151 AMARC AA TF std 24may93 apr07 ex BB/1st RS(T)
61-7967 BB SR-71A 2018 Barksdale AFB pre nov03 sep06
61-7971 BB SR-71A 2022 McMinnville pre mar05 mar05
62-3653 BB T-38A N5358 AMARC AA TF std 08dec95 apr07 ex BB/1st RS(T)
64-13217 BB T-38A N5646 1st RS act may91 jun07 black c/s
64-13240 BB T-38A N5669 1st RS act dec88 mar05 black c/s
64-13247 BB T-38A N5676 1st RS act oct96 oct06 black c/s
64-13270 BB T-38A N5699 1st RS act jun91 mar05 black c/s
64-13271 BB T-38A N5700 1st RS act aug91 may07 black c/s
64-13281 BB T-38A N5710 1st RS act apr89 jun06 black c/s
64-13285 BB T-38A N5714 1st RS act jun96 jun06 black c/s
64-13297 BB T-38A N5726 1st RS act nov90 mar05 black c/s
64-13301 BB T-38A N5730 1st RS act jan86 jun07 black c/s
64-13304 BB T-38A N5733 1st RS act jan86 jun07 black c/s
65-10342 BB T-38A N5761 1st RS act dec95 oct06 black c/s
65-10429 BB T-38A N5848 1st RS act jun96 apr05 grey, '9 RW' apr05
66-4332 BB T-38A N5908 1st RS act oct96 apr07 black c/s
68-10329 BB U-2S 051 99th RS act jun95 may05

Ugo
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Was there a AFCAD for Edwards AFB included with this package? I noticed there was a RQ-4 from Edwards in this package but not AFCAD for the base.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Probably not. It is a Beale package.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Joseph29 wrote:Was there a AFCAD for Edwards AFB included with this package? I noticed there was a RQ-4 from Edwards in this package but not AFCAD for the base.
I believe all are based at Beale but that the ED one hadn't been repainted with BB when the package was done.
You'll also notice a couple without any tail codes, for the same reason.
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

There is no Edwards AFCAD. Some of the RQ4's are used by Edwards for testing, so you will see the ED coded one there alot.

Its impossible to do AFCADS for every base in the FP's for all packages.
If we did this it would be one release a year!

Barry
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Thanks guys. I thought the ED one was based at Edwards. Since I thought it was based at Edwards I thought there was a Edwards AFCAD that I was missing.
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Military objects

Post by awj112 »

I have installed Beale AFB but I don't understand the instructions for adding the additional military objects. I have the MCD military package installed but I do not understand what textures need to be copied over to the "static scenery" folder that the instructions say should be created. Could someone please clear this up for me? Thank you.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Re: Military objects

Post by mikewmac »

awj112 wrote:I have installed Beale AFB but I don't understand the instructions for adding the additional military objects. I have the MCD military package installed but I do not understand what textures need to be copied over to the "static scenery" folder that the instructions say should be created. Could someone please clear this up for me? Thank you.
awj112,

If you already have Michael Carr's Modern Military Scenery and Objects package installed properly per his instructions, then you don't need to do anymore with that package. The only other secondary scenery package that you should install is Bill Leaming's ESDG Ramp Lights for FS2004 contained in the esdg_ramplight_rwy12.zip which is available at Avsim.com. The statement in the Beale AFB Readme that states,
"Next you need to create a Static Objects Library folder or equivalent in your “Flight Simulator 9/Addon Scenery" directory and create within this folder both a scenery and texture subfolder. Then unzip the appropriate of these zip files that you don't already have installed to a temporary folder and place the included scenery and texture files into the appropriate subfolder in this "Static Objects Library" folder."

only refers to the installation of Bill Leaming's ESDG Ramp Lights for FS2004. Once you have a Static Objects Library folder containing both texture and scenery folders, you just have to copy the RampLight_Library.bgl file from this package into your Flight Simulator 9/Addon Scenery/Static Objects Library/scenery folder and the ESDG_ramp.bmp and ESDG_ramp_lm.bmp files from this package into the Flight Simulator 9/Addon Scenery/Static Objects Library/texture folder. If this is a new Static Objects Library folder you then need to enable it, so start FS9 and go to the scenery library in settings, select "ADD AREA" and then select the path of the folder "Flight Simulator 9/Addon Scenery/Static Objects Library". Click OK. Now that you have both of the secondary scenery packages installed you will see both the military vehicles and ramp lights when you restart FS9 and visit Beale AFB.

Mike
Mike...

Re: Beale AFB package by MAIW

Post by Mike... »

I have just gone through a complete reinstall of FS9, including MAIW packages and I'm sorting out vcpmod files at the moment.

The Beale AFB package comes with the RQ-4A Global Hawk. In its aircraft.cfg file you can find the following: "atc_model=RQ4". Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a vcp mod for "RQ4" in the package, nor anywhere else.

Does anyone have it or have an idea what I could use instead?

I tried making it myself, but the q is a pain.

:lol:
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Mike... wrote:I have just gone through a complete reinstall of FS9, including MAIW packages and I'm sorting out vcpmod files at the moment.

The Beale AFB package comes with the RQ-4A Global Hawk. In its aircraft.cfg file you can find the following: "atc_model=RQ4". Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a vcp mod for "RQ4" in the package, nor anywhere else.

Does anyone have it or have an idea what I could use instead?

I tried making it myself, but the q is a pain.

:lol:
Hi Mike,

Looks like you may of found a mistake there, change the cfg to atc_model=RQ4A this will then pick up the stock vcp for the Global Hawk.

Mark :D
Mark
Mike...

Post by Mike... »

That did the trick and it actually says Global Hawk and not RQ4A, that's an easy solution to the difficult q. ;D

I tried searching for some phrases in EditVoicepack before I came here, but those standard modifications do not show up as search results unfortunately. Anyway, it's all good now, thanks!

:)