The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Seymour Johnson AFB package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Seymour Johnson AFB package by MAIW

Post by reconmercs »

please use this thread to ask questions and provide constructive feedback about this package here

direct link:
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=109349
Last edited by reconmercs on 09 Sep 2007, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

:D looking forward to this set!
Dave
Seagull
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Seagull »

Just got it. Many thaks for this one :) :)
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

Absolutely delicious! Thanks a bunch! :D
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

thanks for all the hardwork on this guys, great package as usual!!
Phantom54
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Phantom54 »

Great package but I only found 2 F-15s at the apron......any ideas? Density is set to 100%.......
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Phantom54 wrote:Great package but I only found 2 F-15s at the apron......any ideas? Density is set to 100%.......
Hi Phantom,
I am assuming that you mean AI density rather than scenery density here, if not that is a good place to start.

So the question I will ask is have you altered the aircraft.cfg file in anyway?
Steve
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

Hey Phantom, I have all your Eagles over here in my computer.
My pad is full.... :-)

Thanks again MAIW for all your hard work.

KJ
sitterwolf
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by sitterwolf »

Thank you MAIW for your great work.

All Eagles on duty.....
:lol:
Wolf

Phantom54
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Phantom54 »

Reinstalled my whole FS9 and all the packages and it works fine now! Great package!
MikeyW
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

F-15E's Keep Crashing at the Hold Short line

Post by MikeyW »

I downloaded this package today and installed it. I used the John Stinstrom scenery, so I used the custom AFCAD provided as per the instructions. Everything looked normal until the F-15Es started to taxi for takeoff. They'd get to the Hold Short line OK, but as they taxied toward the runway after being cleared for takeoff, the aircraft's nose would lift off the ground and go vertical. When the plane got perpendicular to the ground, it would sink into the ground and disappear. Every F-15 Eagle in the package does this. All other planes that fly into and out of Seymore Johnson behave normally.

At first I thought it was the AFCAD/scenery, so I went to other bases and watched the Seymore Johnson F-15Es take off - they all continued to go to the Hold Short line, nose up until perpendicular, sink into the ground and disappear. Each and every one at every base.

So, the I suspected something was wrong with the aircraft.cfg/*.air file. I have the Lakenheath F-15E package and those planes behave normally, so rather than use the aircraft.cfg and *.air files provided, I pasted the Seymore Johnson F-15E [fltsim.xx] sections to the Lakenheath F-15E aircraft.cfg file. The Seymore Johnson F-15E's still crashed at the Hold Short line, while the Lakenheath F-15E's still flew normally.

I though it might be something wrong with the new model that's used in the Seymore Johnson planes, so I changed the Seymore Johnson F-15E model to one of the Lakenheath models, and it still crashed at the Hold Short line.

OK, I'm out of altitude, airspeed, and ideas. I haven't taken a look at the flightplan file, but I really don't see how that would have anything to do with this behavior. I can't think of anything else, though. Do you have any advice?

Thanks,
MikeyW
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Mikey
I have seen this as well

gary
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Hmm..............never heard or seen that. As always, double check to make sure that you don't have two conflicting afcads for KGSB. If that's not the cause we'll get our resident FDE expert to weigh in on this one and see what he thinks.

Almost sounds like the AI are running into an invisible something or other. You say all other non F-15E AIs are operating normally including taking off and landing??
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

thats REALLY odd, I didn't encounter this nor did any of the testers :?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hmmm, a strange one indeed.
Now it appears that two people have had this happen, if I have read it right, Gary and Mikey. Mikey has ruled out the models and fde himself, with his interchanging. This leads us to the scenery.

Now the immediate obvious candidate is the afcad, but as I also use John's scenery and I didn't find the problem we need to check a couple of things.
1. Please confirm that there is only one afcad for KGSB in your system, other than the built in default. Easiest way to tell is to load up Afcad and look at KGSB.
2. Which runway the aircraft are trying to take off on, or whether its both?
3. Does it happen to the KC-135's taking off from the same runway?
4. Can you tell me whether you have collisions on or off in FS9?
5. Do you have any other addon scenery for North Carolina, or close to it, installed?

Once we have the answers to these questions we may have an idea on where the problem may be.
Steve
MikeyW
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by MikeyW »

Hi Mike and Steve,

Yes, this is only happening with the Seymore Johnson F-15Es. To answer all your questions:

1. Please confirm that there is only one afcad for KGSB in your system, other than the built in default. Easiest way to tell is to load up Afcad and look at KGSB.

<ans> Yup, only one AFCAD - I was using the one that came with the scenery, but when I installed the package, I replaced it with the MAIW one for the KGSB scenery. I did not install the excludes that came with the package, so I didn't have to remove them. I have the AFCAD file in the scenery folder of the KGSB folder, not the addon scenery/scenery folder.

2. Which runway the aircraft are trying to take off on, or whether its both?

<ans> Rwy 08. I didn't change the winds to see if it affected the other runway yet.

3. Does it happen to the KC-135's taking off from the same runway?

<ans> Nope; the KC-135s take off fine. I have a bunch of transient traffic (F-16s, C-130s, E-3s, E-8, even some U-2s) all take off fine.

4. Can you tell me whether you have collisions on or off in FS9?

<ans> Collisions off

5. Do you have any other addon scenery for North Carolina, or close to it, installed?

<ans> Yes, I have some homemade AFCADs for KGSO, some photoscenery and AFCAD for KRDU, PAI AFCAD for KCLT, scenery and AFCAD for Fayetteville, and an AFCAD for KPOB.

Also, I noticed that the Semore Johnson F-15Es will make some tire smoke every once and a while as they taxi to the hold short line. I didn't see this with any other ai.

Thanks for all of your help. Oh, I did see the Seymore Johnson F-15Es successfully take off at KEND.

MikeyW
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Just checked the package myself and all looks fine.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Mikey,
I have rechecked it myself and I have absolutely no problem. This leads me to believe that it is probably some other third party scenery and/or afcad that is causing the grief.

What I would do is remove those afcads you mentioned from your Addon Scenery/scenery folder to somewhere safe, and then uncheck the sceneries from the FS9 scenery config and then see if that solves the problem. Remember that you will have to restart FS9 after removing the sceneries for it to take effect.

If all is well then add back the addons one by one and test until you find the one that causes it. I would suggest that you start with the stand alone afcads. If that does not solve the problem then it will most likely be one of the other addons then its a case of widening the search area for addons.

Let us know how you get on as the info will no doubt be useful to others.
Steve
MikeyW
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by MikeyW »

I pulled all the AFCADs and deactivated all the scenery that I have in NC and still got the problem. I will probably start swapping out AI planes in the KGSB F-15E flightplan to see if that has anything to do with it. I'll use some of the KSGB F-15Es in some flightplans that I know work to see how that goes. Funny, I never had this problem with any AI planes before, and I sure do have a lot....

BTW, I noticed in some of the F-15 flighplans (especially the Langley AFB ones) that the F-15s fly alot to KRDU. Why would F-15s fly to KRDU?
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

MikeyW wrote:I pulled all the AFCADs and deactivated all the scenery that I have in NC and still got the problem. I will probably start swapping out AI planes in the KGSB F-15E flightplan to see if that has anything to do with it. I'll use some of the KSGB F-15Es in some flightplans that I know work to see how that goes. Funny, I never had this problem with any AI planes before, and I sure do have a lot....

BTW, I noticed in some of the F-15 flighplans (especially the Langley AFB ones) that the F-15s fly alot to KRDU. Why would F-15s fly to KRDU?
Sorry your having so many problems getting the package to work properly for you :( I'm convinced that its got to be something on your end software wise as no one else is having the same issues. Concerning flights to RDU, yes the flights simulated in the the Langley and Seymour Johnson packages are real, I used to work at one of the FBOs there and the flights simulated in both packages are from personal experiences. The Seymour birds flew in on two seperate occasions for Lunch and Fuel one day and another due to hail(we had six fly in that day from two different squadrons), the Langley birds were actually Tyndall birds that flew in from Thursday through Monday a couple months back to do a fly over for a local college football game but since our Tyndall package is still in the early stages I decided to simulate it with the langley ones instead though it they were in the same config with center tanks only and consisted of 3 C's and a D :wink: