The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Portuguese Air Force Package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Portuguese Air Force Package by MAIW

Post by reconmercs »

please use this thread to post questions and constructive feedback about this package here

direct link:
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=114543
Bora

Post by Bora »

Great to see the Orion !! Too bad though that the flightplans don't show any other airports or airbases then LPMT... Would be nice to see this plane visiting some other places as well...

Same goes for the Portugese F-16 and C-130... (although they show a little more variation then the Orion)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

It's tough to write flightplans for aircraft in a far off country especially when you have little real world info to go on.

As always each user may alter their flightplans to their liking. But I think it's fairly safe to say that a long range maratime patrol aicraft like the P-3 doesn't "visit" other bases hardly ever. It's a large aircraft, with a large crew, and therefore very expensive to operate and maintain. Sure you might get the occasional IFR training flight with some approaches and TNGs but my experience tells me that it doesn't spend too much time doing anything other than what it was designed for.

So like all of our flightplans, the Portugese P-3 plans are written to simulate as close to reality as possible.

So yes, they are probably a bit boring. Ever fly a 12 hour maratime patrol? Talk about boring........... :D
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

I wrote the flightplans. One of the issues I had with writing them for the P-3 was that there are only 6 of them. If I sent them all over Europe on a whirlwind tour....who would ever see them?
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Phantom54
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Phantom54 »

Maybe you can send one thru Europe, for example:

-Valkenburg
-Waddington
-Fairford (weekend, RIAT)
-Nordholz

And some F-16's to:
-Aviano
-Spangdahlem
-Florennes (Thursday)
-Fairford (weekend, RIAT)
-Leeuwarden
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Nice ideas Phantom54, but its too late now because the package is released. I assure you the guys who write the plans do as much research as possible to make these plans, not only realistic but also user friendly. The only thing with sending an aircraft from every package all over the place, because maybe once a year in the real world they do so, is that you end up overcrowding all those airfields. Its a dilema we all face I'm afraid. Take Nellis AFB for example, we could send aircraft from every package there but then there wouldnt be room for the resident units at all.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

nickblack423 wrote:.... you end up overcrowding all those airfields....
Nick
Exactly! Phantoms mentions Fairford, and some seem to have a fixation with sending aircraft there. But, trust me, Fairford for 99.9% of the year is the dullest place imaginable. For the vast majority of the year the airfield is a ghost town, I know because I fly over it frequently. It's so quiet that it's airspace is only activated by NOTAM. When I visit it in FS and find it packed to overflowing with all manner of aircraft I merely laugh. :roll:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Got to send them somewhere. Would be a boring FS if we had lots parked up at their home base all week....

Remember all military plans are based on the flightplanners imagination and web reports/information. And we are limited to weekly plans...
Do get Mil Planes at Fairford, were the RAF typhoons there not so long ago on some exercise..?

barry :roll:
Barry
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

"Maybe you can send one thru Europe, for example:

-Valkenburg"

Mate it's just full of houses nowadays at Valkenburg.

Valkenburg has ceased to exist as an airfield alltogether.......

So have the P3's of the Dutch unfortunately :roll:

Have a good 2008 though! :D
ChrisG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ChrisG »

Most stuff in the UK at the moment goes to Lossiemouth or Coningsby, and the odd bit to Lakenheath.

Obviously Mildenhall gets USAF tankers/transports/etc.

Brize Norton gets Belgian AF stuff for some reason :?
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Hi,

Many thanks for the Portugese package, all the stuff looks good. I did take a look at the flightplans and took it upon myself to modify them a bit as they stayed mainly in Portugal - hope that is ok. If anybody wants a copy I'll be willing to send them the file. P-3s will operate daily to the waypoint, also visit Rota and a couple of Spanish/Italian military fields. Mid week a couple go to Kinloss, visiting Keflavik and one dropping into Mildenhall on the way back. C-130s also do the same trips, with visits to Lyneham and one in at Cambridge end of the week. F-16s do daily runs to the waypoint, visit Florennes (with C-130 support), visit the UK (Marham, Coninsgby and Lossiemouth) - still got a halff dozen to do. maybe send them somewhere else in europe. Just a bit of guess work on my part.

Gary
Military aviation photography in the UK

My photo website
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

ChrisG wrote:Brize Norton gets Belgian AF stuff for some reason :?
What's wrong with getting Belgian AF stuff?! The guys at Brize are probably tired of drinking English beer :lol:

I agree there's a dilemma. Visiting aircraft are pushing my local F16's off the ramp at EBFS Florennes; it's as if there are five TLP sessions going on at the same time :roll:

There are always alternatives, like EBBE Beauvechain for Belgium, but as outsider it's not always easy to find out.

Greg
ChrisG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ChrisG »

F-16's parked up next to a load of Tristars and VC-10's just look plain odd!
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

As some of the prior posts have hinted, it's quite difficult to balance real world operations with those in FS9.
The authors work hard to provide us with what they know to be factual and when they must ad-lib, they try to make it as realistic as possible.
Thus you can end up with operations that are not realistic to someone who may live on or near an active airbase.

I do think however, that MAIW welcomes any additional information they can get their grubby little hands on. I know I do.

I can, have and will modify airbases and flightplans to my liking. While it may not be 100% accurate, it makes me happy. :lol:

MAIW encourages each one of us to experiment and if it works, we'd love you to share it with the rest of the community.

This approach has led me to learn quite a bit about how AI work. And I believe that knowledge led me to be asked to join the beta team.

I'm having a ball. So much in fact, I hardly have time to fly.
Kevin Jarvis

Phantom54
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Phantom54 »

Makadocias wrote:"Maybe you can send one thru Europe, for example:

-Valkenburg"

Mate it's just full of houses nowadays at Valkenburg.
I know it's closed nowadays...but I don't mind it's still alive in FS ;-) The Coningsby Jaguars are still flying in my FS......
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Guys,

Just to say that everybody who mailed me should have a reply with their requested format of my altered flightplans in their mailbox. If anybody else wants them, just PM or mail me.

Gary

My photo website
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Updated

Post by garysted »

Hi again,

I've updated the FPs I offered before and finished off the last half dozen F-16s I hadn't touched yet - they stay mainly local but go to Dijon, France thursday/friday. I've just sent this new version to everybody who asked for the earlier one and also to a couple of new requests. Anybody else, just shout.

Gary

My photo website