The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

HICKAM C-17 PACKAGE BY MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

HICKAM C-17 PACKAGE BY MAIW

Post by reconmercs »

post feedback and questions about this package here
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Just a quick question. I have Lago's Honolulu scenery so I have my own AFCAD for PHNL. Will it matter if I don't use any of the AFCAD's for Honolulu?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Yes it will matter. This is one issue that we really can't prevent as it is impossible to cover all the different setups that an individual user might have on their system.

What you will have to do is check the PHNL afcad that you are using and see what kind of parking spots you have available for the Hickam side of the Honolulu airport. The C-17s are assigned to park in Mil_Cargo spots, using "535A" as their designated parking coding. If you don't have at least 5 or 6 spots designated as "Mil_Cargo" or "Mil_Cargo, 535A" then your C-17s may park just about anywhere they can find a space on the airport. IOW they may end up parking at the gates designated for "Heavy" aircraft, something we want to avoid seeing.

So as long as you have the program AFCAD, you can check this out fairly quickly and make the necessary changes if need be.

If you don't have AFCAD or are unsure as to how to make these changes then just attach your verion of the PHNL afcad on this thread and one of us can help get it all fixed up.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Thanks.

I have plenty of military parking for Hickam. I made close to 30 spots for military cargo flights there. I thought my AFCAD would affect the way these C-17 fly to aviod the mountains in hawaii.
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by CrazyDunc »

Guys and gals,
Hats off to you. :smt023
yet another great package from MAIW. keep it up!

:smt038
Cheers
Regards,
Dunc
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I would like some feedback on the Readme.htm file that we are using for installation instructions.

Is the format ok for those who installed this package and do you like that format or something simpler would be better?
-Mike G.

CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

Mike,
thought Readme.mhtml was good format, seemed to use Dan Bourque as a template. yea i liked it. easy to understand etc. nice images to clarify points. not too complex either.

cheers
Regards,
Dunc
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

I agree with the above comment... Bourque-style formatting looks "professional", is easy to follow, and is complete - both for the beginner and the more knowledgeable AI Traffic simmer.

I believe that these three things will actually encourage people to use the packages as opposed to other ones I've seen on avsim which are lacking in one of the three areas. I think the thing that stands out is that there is "hand-holding" without condescension and yet "go to the head of the class instruction" for those who don't want or need the "hand-holding".

I also deliberately sought out more of Bourque's packages once I stumbled across my first one due to the instructions alone - helped me get through the beginner angst I experienced with my first AI Traffic packages. After the first couple of "hand-held/auto installs", I went for the manual install and used the non-beginner section instructions as a backup. This is probably the real appeal of the package's instruction style for me. I've got a choice of being "lazy" or "in control".
John
"I may be old and slow, but when I waddle down the hill to a group of cows, I get 'em all - unlike the randy young bulls who get too excited and are totally spent after fun with just one."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it is Dan B's original work as the "template" for the readme's. Big thanks to Dan for allowing us to use his work.
-Mike G.

Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Hi all

The package is great no problems
But just a side issue
I have installed the scenery packages for phnl and pearl but i have no water
the ships and harbour show up but surrounded by land
I have tried altering the level but no change

Its the biggest inland navy in the world lol

Gary
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

Ooph. Sounds like you somehow overwrote the base bgl for at least part of that area.

I say that because I had the same thing happen to me somehow - only in my case it was the Osaka Harbor area and the Kansai airport. The water aroudn the island airport looked like dirt/mud... not conducive to creating a great visual atmosphere.

To fix my problem, I eventually installed FS9 on a completely different computer and have begun (re)installing all of my sceneries, flyable aircraft and AI traffic on it (while reorganizing them into a more efficent directory listing)..... a very drastic step, I admit... I actually have FS9 on two computers now and am still trying to find the error/missing file/"what the heck happened" on one of them... Even swapping certain bgls from the Scenery\World\Asia areas didn't help me... Anyway, enough of my story..

All I can offer is best wishes that someone else might be able to help you out. Some people over on avsim might be able to help you --- larger pool of readers... Just a thought.
John
"I may be old and slow, but when I waddle down the hill to a group of cows, I get 'em all - unlike the randy young bulls who get too excited and are totally spent after fun with just one."
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Thanks for your answer

I think i shall just fly somewhere else :shock:
less drastic unless someone knows the base file?

Gary
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

Before you give up on the area, disable your most recent scenery installations...

Start FS
Click Setings
Click Scenery Library
Uncheck the appropriate areas.... anything you think might be affecting this area...
-----The goal here is to get it back to a default look...

-----IF you can get the water to show again with only default sceneries, you can try reenabling each Addon Scenery area one at a time and check it out to see which one is causing the problem.
.........That is..Start FS
.........Click Settings
.........Click Scenery Library
.........Check the box for 1 and only 1 area that is now unchecked.
.........Restart FS...
..........Go to PHNL or other area where the water looks like mud and hope that you now see mud again.... If so, that's the problem area/scenery.
.........If you haven't found it, rinse and repeat with a different scenery check/uncheck go to FS.. go to PHNL sequence until you've been through all of your scenery addons.

Also remember that some sceneries might have stuck some bgl's in the AddonScenery\scenery folder.... Those can be checked by renaming them to bgo extensions rather than bgl... Just remember to restore their names back to bgl after you check these out (ex. stuff.bgl --> stuff.bgo --->stuff.bgl)

That's the best help I can offer.
John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gary,

I had exactly the same experience as yourself along with square looking coastline. I turned out that I didn't have the default fs9 scenery for the region activated. Activated it, and hey presto, no square coastline and there is now water under the ships.
I can't rememember which region it was and as I am in the US I can't check. Hope that helps.
Steve
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Thats exactly what ive got
square water

ill try that

thanks

Gary
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

No thats not it
All the items in the library are ticked

????

Gary
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ah well, the only other thing that I can think of is that the scenery has a lower priority than the default scenery, as I am assuming that you installed all default scenery.
If that's not the case, then try de-selecting ALL scenery, re-starting FS9 and re-selecting the ones you want active, and re-starting again. It might be some sort of corruption.
Steve
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Thats my next job
after ive set off some rockets and big bangers lol

Gary
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Garysb wrote:Thats my next job
after ive set off some rockets and big bangers lol

Gary
Not under your PC, I hope. I'm sure it isn't that serious :lol:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Maybe I've missed something, but looking at the AFCAD I noticed that the C17 parking spots do not match with the info provided by P3_Super_Bee here ?! Any reason for this?

Greg