The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Hill Air Force Base Support Thread

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

You might try removing the individual scenery files one at a time and see if that helps. I would start with the mesh files and landclass files and one at a time, a time consuming process, see if any one of them is the culprit.

I just loaded the package onto my laptop which is a completely default setup. It installed and loaded up without a problem. So unfortunately you're probably looking at a problem that is in your setup only. That makes it that much harder to track down.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Also make sure your Addon Scenery folder is at the very top of your scenery index. You might also try taking the Hill afcad file out of the Hill scenery folder and placing it into the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder.
-Mike G.

Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Grimreaper wrote:I need a little help with the Hill scenery. Every time I try and start FS with the airport location either being Hill or Salt Lake, FS crashes. I have reviewed the post and moved Hill to the bottom of my added scenery, but am still not having any luck. If I deactivate the scenery, I can start FS at SLC or Hill. But reactivate the scenery, and the game crashes. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Did you put the 2 textures Dark_Road.bmp and Dark_Road_LM.bmp in the scenery/world/texture folder? Without those 2 files the scenery will crash.
Grimreaper
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Grimreaper »

I would like to thank everyone for their help. I tried all of the suggestions and what fixed it was removing all scenery files and loading each file individually and trying it out. After about an hour and a half, I found the file that caused all the trouble. The file name is Hill_VTPP.BGL. I am not sure what this file does. If anyone cannot get the scenery to work for them. I would try to remove this file. If this file is needed for the scenery to work correctly and there is a fix, please let me know. By the way, the scenery looks awesome. :D
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Glad you got it sorted out. Sometimes, even though it's a giant pain to do so, that's the only way to figure it out.

That file is some sort of polygon, so it's either a landclass, or airport background or maybe even mesh or a flatten file.
-Mike G.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Hi Reaper,
As I posted elsewhere I have had a similar problem with VTP files, one one occasion it was conflicting with mesh, once with another scenery addon and I have also had it occur when I had an fs9 corruption somewhere, and it eventually needed a complete re-install of fs9.

I would say be watchful, and make sure that you have a backup of your fs9 partition. Its a lot easier to copy files across onto a fresh install than to find and re-install it all again. Then check to see what other Arizona add ons you have.
Steve
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

White rectangles at night

Post by awj112 »

Does anyone know why Hill has white rectangles in several spots on the tarmac at night? Scenery during the day looks fine.
JohnStinstrom
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by JohnStinstrom »

AW can you PM me with a big screenshot so I can see where the problems are?
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

I was asked to post this small fix for John as he's having posting issues
Attachments
Hill_Effects.zip
(63.03 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
airtj
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Hill AFB package by MAIW

Post by airtj »

I have some buildings that do not have any textures. Any one else having this problem? All the other textures are fine.
Attachments
KHIF.JPG
JohnStinstrom
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by JohnStinstrom »

Those are supposed to be trees :( They use a library from Gerrish Gray that can be found on Avsim.com under the name of "trees_v3.zip".

I have discontinued the use of this library and it was included in the Hill scenery by mistake. If you have trouble retreiving the library I have downloaded a copy and can send it to you if you PM me with your email address.
ematheson
Cadet
Cadet

Post by ematheson »

Is there any chance of an updated version with reduced building visibility radiuses? I can see the whole scenery from the ramp at KSLC... which frankly is rather rediculous considering that KHIF is 25 miles away!
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

ematheson wrote:Is there any chance of an updated version with reduced building visibility radiuses? I can see the whole scenery from the ramp at KSLC... which frankly is rather rediculous considering that KHIF is 25 miles away!
As this is the FS9 support forum, I'm guessing your using FS9. FS9 is built on a flat world so seeing buildings at that distance is possible not ridiculous as you put it. But to answer your question, no there is no update planned for Hill AFB at this time. The scenery is over 5 years old now so the newer modelling technics would not of been used back then.
Mark
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Is there any chance of an updated version with reduced building visibility radiuses? I can see the whole scenery from the ramp at KSLC... which frankly is rather rediculous considering that KHIF is 25 miles away!
Why don't you reduce your weather sight distance in your simulator to provide you with a more realistic heat / smog haze, that should do the trick.
ematheson
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Hill Air Force Base Support Thread

Post by ematheson »

It's been a while since I've been here - thanks for your replies. I will just grin and bear it, I guess! I have, in the past, stripped some of the less-visible or distinctive models from the library (using MCX) to bring the FPS hit within limits my computer can handle - I just wanted to know if there was any future update in the offing. I have since ceased using the enb module and sweetfx - that seems to have given me back the performance margin needed to run the scenery OKish. Perhaps I worded my original post with excessive plainness, and for that I apologize.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Re: Hill Air Force Base Support Thread

Post by campbeme »

ematheson wrote:It's been a while since I've been here - thanks for your replies. I will just grin and bear it, I guess! I have, in the past, stripped some of the less-visible or distinctive models from the library (using MCX) to bring the FPS hit within limits my computer can handle - I just wanted to know if there was any future update in the offing. I have since ceased using the enb module and sweetfx - that seems to have given me back the performance margin needed to run the scenery OKish. Perhaps I worded my original post with excessive plainness, and for that I apologize.
That's okay matey no problem here. :D
Mark