The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MCAS Yuma Harriers by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

MCAS Yuma Harriers by MAIW

Post by BadPvtDan »

please use this thread to ask questions and to provide constructive feedback about this package here
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=125703
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Makadocias
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by Makadocias »

Thank you thank you!!! Great stuff!!!
mr.bean
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by mr.bean »

Thanks for the Yuma Harriers.Patiently wating the Harriers at MCAS Cherry Point to come out.
starlifterfan
Captain
Captain

Yuma Harriers

Post by starlifterfan »

Great job as always....you guys amaze me every time......(I was just reading an article in Air Combat about Yuma,it was the cover story),wow is all I have to say.....Thank you for the work you do,it is and always will be appreciated!!!!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Guys just to head off any questions that might come up, don't forget that the Yuma scenery has multiple levels of complexity. In order to see all the scenery you have to have your complexity slider all the way to the right.

Enjoy it, we're actually already working on an update for it.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

awesome, loving the maiw packages with these great sceneries!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Thanks to the work of John Stinstrom, we've been able to get our scenery design more organized and it's taking less and less time to produce custom sceneries for these packages.

This isn't the only package this week that will have scenery with it. :wink:
-Mike G.

theoklahomaaviator
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by theoklahomaaviator »

I have Ultimate Terrain USA installed. I was just wondering if there was a way to add a different texture in there like if I had a grass texture. I am really a novice at editing those types of things. Any suggestions are much appreciated. FANTASTIC package MAIW!!! Thank you so very much. Looking forward to future releases.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Adam, I made the landclass for this package and I also use UT. If you really want a grass texture for that area you have circled, the easiest way to do it is to open up the Yuma afcad and use a grass polygon texture from afcad to fill in that area. Otherwise you are looking at having to create the textured polygon with a program like SBuilder.

It does look sort of funny like that, but believe it or not, if you look at the satellite images of Yuma, that's the way it looks in real life. There's a little section where crops are grown in that little open area. Unfortunately there isn't a good landclass texture to put in that little patch to make it look all nice and neat. At least not one that I could find.

One problem is that the scenery and ground textures will look different on a user's setup depending on which ground texture set they are using.

Just finding a desert like texture for the base itself that excluded all the autogen was a big pain. The one you see there is not ideal but it's the best compromise between the default MS texture, the UT textures and any other third party add on textures.

So give the afcad thing a shot and see how you like the results. There's even a tutorial out there on how to make golf courses using AFCAD. Lots of possibilities.
-Mike G.

Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

OUTSTANDING stuff!!!!

Marine Corps HUUAH!!!! 8)
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

theoklahomaaviator
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by theoklahomaaviator »

Wow I should have done my research before I went and made comments. Thank you for the advice, but you are right. After looking at the sat. images the scenery is dead on. I'll just leave it the way it is. Thanks Mike!
-Adam
starlifterfan
Captain
Captain

Yuma...

Post by starlifterfan »

I agree this is incredible work,...if its not broke dont fix it!!!!!!!..If any body is interested Air Combat magazine ran a great cover story on this base recently and some great pics to go with it....any who...love the work....thank you again.
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

I agree this is incredible work,...if its not broke dont fix it!!!!!!!..If any body is interested Air Combat magazine ran a great cover story on this base recently and some great pics to go with it....any who...love the work....thank you again.
Yup, read it. It was a pretty cool section :D
-Joe W.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Can you scan the photos by any chance? Maybe that's breaking copywright but it would be nice to see some more actual pictures as there are not many out there and we are already working on an update for the scenery as well.
-Mike G.

Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Guys,
Waited and waited for this package and you guys never disappoint. Great job on everything; scenery, AV-8's, ranges. Need to run this by a Marine stationed there to check out. Now just need some AI F-5's and add a HH-1N/C-12's to the mix.

For the time I was testing, the Harriers were doing IFR work. I headed East to BGW range to look for targets, didn't see anything. My scenery sliders are set to "Dense". Am I missing something?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Probably not, lemme see if I can get the coordinates for the range targets for you guys. The targets are difficult to see (as in real life) and their effects only show up within 5K I believe. So IOW, you have to be very near them to see them.
-Mike G.

BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

You can get the coordinates from the airports text file or from the waypoints afcads.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Those will get you close, here are the exact coordinates for the four target sets:

N 32* 12' 47.8908"
W 113* 36' 01.5765"

N 32* 22' 15.8346"
W 113* 52' 03.1990

N 32* 29' 30.1014"
W 113* 37' 19.9758"

N 32* 49' 34.2449"
W 112* 47' 52.0871"

Here's a couple pics so you know what you are looking for"

-Mike G.

Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

Is there an ICAO for the range(s)?? Sorry if that's a dumb question I just didn't see it lol
-Joe W.

campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Found one!

:wink:
Mark