The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Luke AFB package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by bismarck »

Ok, tested and working :lol:
Memory is stable.

...so, it seems that I'm the first.... what I win? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ciao, Giorgio
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK Giorgio, thanks for that. Quality. You win our everlasting appreciation :D .

What you were expecting more :shock: ?

Being serious, now, can everybody else try this to see if it solves everyone's problem. If it does then the staff will have a chat about what to do for a permanent solution for the future.

Can everybody report whether it worked for them or not please. Thanks to all that have contributed.
Steve
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Firebird wrote:I have found a few references that say that this is known bug in FS9
Not meaning to challenge you, but I'd like to take a look at those references if you have links.

It won't affect my FSX knowledge or installation, but knowledge about FS9 can't hurt and this goes against what I remember vis-a-vis FS9.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ford,
No offense taken, mate. Never hurts to ask. I admit that all I did was to type 'fs9 landclass bgls', I think, into google and found a few forums that make reference to this issue.
So I took the information at face value, as I didn't find any definitive statement from M$, and came up with my cunning plan.

I am sure that somebody will read this and point us to a definitive article but when people like Pete Dowson state it I tend to believe it.
Steve
1st Shirt

Post by 1st Shirt »

Now that you mention it Steve, I remember a post by Pete Dowson in the forum at Simflight.com I think where he mentioned this. I've had all my landclass files in separate directories ever since with no issues.

To check it out I moved the Luke landclass file back to the Luke scenery directory and within 1 hour 25 min I started to lose mem resources; by 2 hours I had a lock-up of FS that required a power down restart.

I've since moved the landclass back to my landclass directory and so far so good.
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Hmm.. learn something new every day - I guess I was just lucky when I ran FS9 as I don't remember encountering any memory leaks that related to this. Ignorance was bliss.

Back to my cave.
Blank Fang
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Blank Fang »

Having moved the landclass file in a separate folder I ran Luke AFB with a stable memory usage for almost 2 hours. Would need to recheck with the file in its original location as I never stayed stationary there this long. :lol:

I think Giorgio deserves our thanks.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Firebird wrote:You win our everlasting appreciation
I'm honoured :D :D :D

About landclass, now I remember some scenery with landclass that have their landclass dir, like Payware Aviano or outstanding freeware LIRF-Fiumicino by ISD Project.

Bye
trafalgar11111
Cadet
Cadet

Out of Memory Error

Post by trafalgar11111 »

Thank you for your time and trouble.
The problem now appears solved.
:)
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem, thanks for reporting it.

Has everybody else had their problem fixed?
Steve
theoklahomaaviator
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by theoklahomaaviator »

So do I need to create a folder for landclass files for all of my addon sceneries?????? Or is this a unique situation?

EDIT: also if the files are not labeled "landclass" how could I differentiate landclass files from scenery object files???
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

This is not a unique situation and hindsight checking has revealed that this will happen everywhere that has landclass files in with the normal scenery files.
Now you can you can put them all in one specially created folder providing that its lower down your scenery list than all your maiw scenery addon folders.

On the naming standard, I can't speak for other producers but John definitely names them with landclass in the name.

It should be stressed that this problem has probably existed at other sceneries of ours but nobody has noticed as they have not stayed in the one place for so long watching and therefore experiencing the issue.

We are discussing what strategy we are going to use in the future and we will make a post on the forum once we fully understand all implications.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Cropstar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cropstar »

Its also worth noting that its not a problem if your running any of Blue Sky photo real sceneries in the area. I could not recreate the problem untill I disabled the Pheonix photo real scenery.
Keebab Burger Pizza
theoklahomaaviator
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I know its not your responsibility to provide support for nonMAIW scenery, but would any of you know of a decompiler or other form of .BGL analyzer that I could use to determine a landclass file from other NONlandclass files??? I know with John's scenery all of his are labeled, but I just wanted to go through and confirm that other sceneries that I have installed do not also pose the potential of containing this problem. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
-Adam
Cropstar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cropstar »

The landcalss seems to add an area of housing near the base

As you can see from the screen shot if you remove it your left with this.

Keebab Burger Pizza
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

theoklahomaaviator wrote:EDIT: also if the files are not labeled "landclass" how could I differentiate landclass files from scenery object files???
Without decompiling the bgl, the only way I know how to do it is to rename the dot bgl extensions 1 at a time to dot bgo (or somesuch) and take a look at the effect in Flight Sim itself.

Do objects disappear or does the landclass/terrain change? Note the change for each, write it in a notepad/txt file and stick that into the scenery's subdirectory and you'll never have to do it again.

Note: I often do this when I am modifying someone else's bgl for solely my own use on my own system - rename and make notes as suggested above, copy a bgl to x.bgl.orig, decompile/modify, make new annotation in that notepad/txt file documenting my change... continue onward and upward. This allows me to go back to the "original" if I want/need to without having to reinstall completely and without having to figure out what each bgl does again..
theoklahomaaviator
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate it. I'll do more searching myself and if I come up with anything useful I'll be sure to share with you as well. Thanks again!
-Adam
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

No worries, I have to get into my desktop computer and find that program, I can't remember what it's called right now, but it's a pretty cool program to see what all landclass files are installed in a given area.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
theoklahomaaviator
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

That would be perfect. :D
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Adam the program is called LWM Viewer. Look for it here:

http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/LWMViewer.html
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log