The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

NAS Corpus Christi package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
dworjan
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: NAS Corpus Christi package by MAIW

Post by dworjan »

If anybody cares about such things, I noticed while I was on the ramp the other day, Customs has been repainting their P-3s with the blue racing stripe similar to the Coast Guard.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/US-Custo ... 536a2f2cc8

If I had the time and the paintkit, I'd love to repaint them. But, I'm currently very busy. Best I can offer presently is assistance to anyone who would like to paint these.

Chris
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joecoastie »

I did a few of them a couple of months ago. Thought I had uploaded them to Avsim.

I'd attach one here but the "attach a file" block is missing. ? ? Or I don' know how to attach a zip?

Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Think I figured it out. I'll add them to a new post it the Paint forum.
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

I started going the thru the process of adapting the parking spots for Jim Dhaenens KNGP to match/reflect the parking codes for the MAIW package (with his blessing), and for the life of me I could get my T-34s to park in their assigned spots. Then I noticed something.

The wingpan of the T-34C is something like 57 feet per the aircraft.cfg, far bigger than the C-12 and the T-44s. I thought seemed odd, so I checked the wingspan for my Virtavia/alphasim T-34 and it is 33.4 feet. This is the same as what is provided on wikipedia (which isn't necessarily correct, but I figure it is close enough for me). So I decided to change the wingman and wing area in my aircraft.cfg for this MAIW T-34 model that was provided with this package, and voila, they now want to park in their assigned parking spots (per the parking codes).

So I wondered if that was by design.... I checked the other MAIW T-34C AI and they have the same wingspan and wingarea, and they seem to fly just fine.

Is this something that should be fixed, or left as it is?

Or is this another one of those bizarre FSX mysteries?
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Not a mystery. That's a difference between the two sims.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

As Dan says. FS9 takes the parking spot size from the builtin size from the mdl, FSX takes it from the wingspan parm in the aircraft.cfg file.
The problem being that a lot of AI aircraft fde's are designed for FS9 and the wingspan is used a lot to make the aircraft fly better. Altering the wingspan for FSX parking requirements can lead to nasty flying tendencies.
Steve
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

Thank you guys for pointing this out -- I had gathered there was some kind of difference, from searching thru other threads, but did not understand exactly what.

I suppose I will do some AI watching to see how they fly with the altered (real) wingspan and wing area.