The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Tyndall AFB package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Firebird wrote:Hi James,
Are you talking about the F16 aircraft.cfg or the afcad?

Really and truthfully the aircraft config should have the unit as a parking code with a secondary of a type, in a MAIW sense this would be :-
atc_parking_codes=179F,F16
What does your F16s have?

You can only only really count on the first for its home base and you might get lucky at an away base with its second choice. On this occasion there are no F16 slots so it should go to one of the 20 uncoded MIL_COMBAT slots at Tyndall.
Are you saying that all of those uncoded parking slots are full, or that it ignores them and parks in the QF4 spots anyway?
James as far as I'm aware AI only uses the first code in the aircraft cfg !

Cheers

gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by Ford Friendly »

Garysb wrote:
Firebird wrote: Are you saying that all of those uncoded parking slots are full, or that it ignores them and parks in the QF4 spots anyway?
AFAIK, this is one of the advantages of FSX over FS9. In FS9, Reggie Fields and others seemed to confirm that, while the MS FS9 development gurus originally planned for FS9 to recognize and use 3 parking codes, only the first IS used.

OTOH, this was extended in FSX and FSX ai_flightplanners can actually use 4, count 'em - 4, atc_parking_codes in the aircraft.cfg.

Consequently, for FS9, if the first parking code in the aircraft.cfg file is M001, a fighter basically parks wherever the h*** it chooses (okay, slight exaggeration there). This is partially because I've found most people don't realize that the combination of atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT and atc_parking_codes=M001 is essentially just duplication and therefore a waste of coding and program execution cycles. I used to use atc_parking_codes=M001 by itself but atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT will often suffice provided the wing span/parking radius measurement is adjusted accordingly.
[[[atc_parking_types=MIL_CARGO used in conjunction with atc_parking_codes=M001 is a completely different discussion in my experience.]]]

But that's just me, I guess, and I am definitely not the brightest bulb in the lot. YMMV

Added-----
My highly-personalized(not-real-world-assignment-wise) FSX-only KPAM afcad uses no atc_parking_types entries for those places I have dedicated to the QF4's. Once I added enough parking spaces to match exactly the observable parking spaces in Google Earth satellite photos, I have QF4's parking only where I want and other fighters/planes staying away from them. Yes, I did stick a few additional spots inside buildings/hangars. ((Try the freeware update on avsim.com for the Alphasim scenery package... far from perfect, but, hey, it's free and can be decompiled/recompiled for one's own use.)) And of course, as discussed in another KPAM thread, I have separated the QF4/auxiliary airfield into its own afcad - with even more QF4 parking. The routing/assignments in traffic files needs to reflect this... Definitely worth the effort if I do say so.
(My KPAM setup is, unfortunately, not publicly sharable because of a unique integration (including some deconstruction) of multiple freeware and payware products (including but not limited to Scenery Tech, FSGenesis AND SBuilderX) resulting in some unique landclassing and the de-/re-construction of someone else's scenery bgls to make the base work. Without the rest of the scenery/mods for KPAM, the afcad doesn't "make sense" and isn't "complete" - for example, some roads/taxiways/hardstands/other airport features are not represented "within the afcad" but in photoscenery/SbuilderX/landclass tiles. Sorry, I tried for 6 months to get permission and a couple people won't give it. I finally just gave up and accept it.)

Edited to add:
atc_parking_codes=M001,F16,179F
Unless someone can prove otherwise, this is the WORST entry you could have. Assuming all 3 entries were recognized and used in FS9, which I dealt with above as not being the case in my experience, this prioritization goes from general to specific rather than the other direction. One would theoretically want to be as specific as possible when assigning parking spaces (especially for a home base), right? So, the 179F assignment should come first, then the fighter-model type (F16), and finally the most generic type (fighter) (M001). If a space allocated to the squadron is not available, then look for an F16 one, and only if neither is available should one look for a generic fighter space....right? In the case of a transient aircraft at a "foreign" base, the aircraft only looks for a spot with either F16 or M001 coding, essentially "falling through" the allocation seive quickly as no 179F-coded spots exist. If all of those fail, only then the aircraft will look for an appropriately sized MIL_COMBAT or MIL_CARGO spot.... but that's further dependent upon the plane's atc_parking_types definition.
Why waste 'trons for a snappy signature when I can use this?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

James,
To summarize the reason that the F16s are parking where they are is due to the fact that your first choice is M001, so it looks for that parking code and finds that there are M001 spots as third choice in the QF4 spots, and in the F15 and F22 spots as well.

Alter your F16 codes as Ford and myself have said, and you should find that they park differently.
One thing you could do to help is to remove the M001 codes from the QF-4 spots, this should severely cut down the amount of spurious traffic parking there.
Steve
Flyin Illini
Major
Major

Post by Flyin Illini »

I painted all the checkers onto the tails of the raptors if anyone wants them shoot me a pm.
Phantoms Phorever!
Janeway
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re:

Post by Janeway »

Ford Friendly wrote:
Garysb wrote:
Firebird wrote: Are you saying that all of those uncoded parking slots are full, or that it ignores them and parks in the QF4 spots anyway?
AFAIK, this is one of the advantages of FSX over FS9. In FS9, Reggie Fields and others seemed to confirm that, while the MS FS9 development gurus originally planned for FS9 to recognize and use 3 parking codes, only the first IS used.

OTOH, this was extended in FSX and FSX ai_flightplanners can actually use 4, count 'em - 4, atc_parking_codes in the aircraft.cfg.

Consequently, for FS9, if the first parking code in the aircraft.cfg file is M001, a fighter basically parks wherever the h*** it chooses (okay, slight exaggeration there). This is partially because I've found most people don't realize that the combination of atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT and atc_parking_codes=M001 is essentially just duplication and therefore a waste of coding and program execution cycles. I used to use atc_parking_codes=M001 by itself but atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT will often suffice provided the wing span/parking radius measurement is adjusted accordingly.
[[[atc_parking_types=MIL_CARGO used in conjunction with atc_parking_codes=M001 is a completely different discussion in my experience.]]]
You may be right, both of you....however, I'm not so sure.
Years back, before MAIW even existed, the one guy who's packages opened my eyes to the beauty of military AI traffic at airbases was a German: Klaus Jone. A retired serviceman who has since passed away... He utilized two or three parking codes extensively in his designs. Unlike MAIW packages, his are relatively small and compact and the effectiveness of two or three parking codes is easier to confirm.

I experimented myself in creating very small traffic files to learn how AI behaved, using rudimentary flightplans that were mostly TNGs. And I tried to follow Klaus Jone's example with parking codes. His assignments were flawless and his AI never failed to return to their designated parking spots. And when I tried to use just ONE parking code per plane...the planes behaviour altered and the AI did not always park where assigned. At the time, I became rather engrossed with these experiments and I am convinced that FS9 does note the 2nd parking code...if not the 3rd...

You don't need to take my word for it, though, guys. Klaus Jone's small packages are still found at Avsim and FlightSim. If you were to check out an airbase like Kaufberen or Oberpffaffenhofen or Lechfeld or Pferdsfeld, you can verify whether this is the case or not...

Even Lee Swordy, in his Manual on AFCAD seems to believe in the 2nd and 3rd parking codes...as the attached screenshot indicates.

The AI in FS9 noticing only the 1st parking code is not the open-and-shut case you might think it is....

/// MOD///

I am sure this is Biggles7, Just a warning if you send anyone of the Staff or Contribs one of your stupid self righteous PM's your arse will be out of here so fast.. I AM WATCHING YOU!
We are sick to the back teeth of your constant stupid PM's
If I have a case of mistaken identity I am sorry, carry on..
Attachments
Parking Codes in AFCAD by Lee Swordy
Parking Codes in AFCAD by Lee Swordy
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Re: Tyndall AFB package by MAIW

Post by Garysb »

You can have as many codes as you like on the parking spot but only one in the cfg file

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -