The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

NATO Sentry's Package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Johnny Test
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Johnny Test »

Firebird wrote:OK, now for somebody that has never done this before how do you select an approach, on the 500? I am assuming its a simple step thing.
It's the same as the G530 - you click the Proc button (Procedure Page Display), then click Select Approach... :?
Firebird wrote:Also what do you get with the default afcad? The same or does it allow you to select?
I'll look into that in the morning & get back to you.
Johnny Test
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Johnny Test »

Firebird wrote:Also what do you get with the default afcad? The same or does it allow you to select?
I get the same result(s) in the default AFCAD also. :shock:
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Shall we tell Bill... :P

Johnny I do like that select approach function.. I never even knew that was there before.

Mark :lol:
Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK thanks for that, Johnny.

I tried it and got the same response as you. I tried it at Nellis and the same response, I tried at Heathrow and I was able to choose approaches.

What this leads me to believe is that its not a problem with our afcad. The fact that the same happens at other ILS equipped places but works with some makes me lean towards the fact that you can only do this at places with built in approaches rather than just having an ILS, i.e. you are selecting an approach not a navaid.

So unless there is a utility that can build in approaches I think that we have reached an endpoint.

Does this sound right?
Steve
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

Firebird wrote:So unless there is a utility that can build in approaches .....
That'll be ADE, then! :lol: Build approaches, place scenery objects, create airfields, etc, etc.

Unfortunately ADE is only for FSX at the moment. :P
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
masped
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by masped »

CelticWarrior wrote:
Firebird wrote:So unless there is a utility that can build in approaches .....
That'll be ADE, then! :lol: Build approaches, place scenery objects, create airfields, etc, etc.

Unfortunately ADE is only for FSX at the moment. :P
This should work too - and it can be used in FS9.

Matthew
Johnny Test
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Johnny Test »

Firebird wrote:I tried it and got the same response as you. I tried it at Nellis and the same response, I tried at Heathrow and I was able to choose approaches.
It works fine with John Stinstrom's Lajes AB (LPLA). Perhaps someone should confer with him for a possible solution. Other than that, i'm through with it...Thank You all for your time.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Johnny,
I have checked out what you have said and I have found that Lajes default has the selectable ILS approach built in, which is why John's scenery works.

Now whilst you have made us aware of something that probably few of us knew about, and therefore we thank you, the scenery is designed for AI packs and therefore is generally not an important issue.

However, that doesn't mean to say that we won't need to in the future depending upon the airfield. I would even go as far as saying that if you try that ilsgps11.zip utility out and it is successful then please let us know about.
Steve
Johnny Test
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Johnny Test »

Firebird wrote:I have checked out what you have said and I have found that Lajes default has the selectable ILS Approach built in, which is why John's scenery works.
That's the point i've been trying to get across (respectfully). I've noticed that most of MAIW's sceneries have the ILS Approach omitted. Keep in mind that there's a connection between Lajes AB (LPLA) & Geilenkirchen AB (ETNG). I can easily setup a complete flightplan from Geilenkirchen AB to Lajes AB, but not visa versa.
Firebird wrote:Now whilst you have made us aware of something that probably few of us knew about, and therefore we thank you, the scenery is designed for AI packs and therefore is generally not an important issue.
I beg to differ my friend...It is important to a true FlightSim'er & a Real-World Pilot(s). Having said that - I can't THANK YOU enough for the time/feedback you've spent on this.
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

Johnny
I do not think your problem is a Scenery issue. I think it is more of a Microsoft programing issue. I don't thing the developers wrote code for the GPS to have approaches for every airport in the world. They only hit the big ones and even then they missed a few (WSSS for example). I figure since they didn't put parking on every AFCAD for every airport in the world, why would they add the approaches. Of course this is just my guess, but I think it is a good one since the default Geilenkirchen AB has no parking on the AFCAD and no appoarch in the GPS (I have not installed this package yet).

Hope this helps
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
N35W
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by N35W »

I'm a virtual Air Traffic Controller with the VATSIM group. Haven't done if for a while though. Waiting to get highspeed internet before getting back into it deeper.

Anyway, if we are talking about STAR aproaches, Not all airports have them. Mostly class B and C airports. Some class D if they are really busy. If I remember correctly seems like I noticed that most military airfields didn't have ILS's they use something else. TACANS and maybe presision approach radars. I'm not certain.

Ah, ok. I just brought up one of my charts and I remembered correctly.

For a example of what I am talking about, go to www.myairplane.com and get the chart package for KNKX, Miramar MCAS.

As you can see they have TACAN PAR approach proceedures, but no ILS or STARS.

This might shed some light on the problem. I might not show on the GPS unless its there in the real world. You will have to force program it.
Jeff
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yes, Jeff. I think that this is the point that Johnny was making.
This is a basic MS FS issue, that adding and ILS to an airfield does not mean that you get an ILS approach built in that is selectable in GPS. You must have to do some additional compiling.

Johnny was also making the point that people use the scenery for non-AI flying as well. A fair point. However, it is not something that we have been concerned about, we build from the AI standpoint.

Whether or not this is achieved by some easy utility or not is what we do not know yet. It would be nice if it works and we could keep it in our back pocket for when we need it.
If somebody has used the utility that masped mentioned earlier and it is successful, let us know. In fact, if somebody wants to try it out may I be so bold as to suggest that ETNG might be a nice choice. Johnny would definitely appreciate the chance to test it out.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Has anyone found the special coloured AWACS?
Johnny Test
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Johnny Test »

james84 wrote:Has anyone found the special coloured AWACS?
The 50th Anniversary?...Yes! :)
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

Yeah! Looks awesome!
masped
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by masped »

Firebird wrote:Whether or not this is achieved by some easy utility or not is what we do not know yet. It would be nice if it works and we could keep it in our back pocket for when we need it.
If somebody has used the utility that masped mentioned earlier and it is successful, let us know. In fact, if somebody wants to try it out may I be so bold as to suggest that ETNG might be a nice choice. Johnny would definitely appreciate the chance to test it out.
Since it was my own suggestion, I tried it out - and it works. Before using it I went to ETNG and tried to select an approach but none were shown. I then used the Approach Creator to add an ILS approach to runway 27. I went back to ETNG and an ILS 27 option had been added to the approaches list, with vectors the only option for the transition.

The instructions within the utility are easy to follow and it only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Matthew
Johnny Test
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Johnny Test »

masped wrote:Since it was my own suggestion, I tried it out - and it works. Before using it I went to ETNG and tried to select an approach but none were shown. I then used the Approach Creator to add an ILS approach to runway 27. I went back to ETNG and an ILS 27 option had been added to the approaches list, with vectors the only option for the transition.
Thanks for the HU. I tried it, and now I have an ILS 27 & GPS 27 on my GPS screen. :smt023
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Matthew, thanks very much for the test and the information.

The fact that you and Johnny have been able to produce one seems to prove that its easy to use and therefore everybody can personalize their own system quite easily to their hearts content.

Kudos to Martin Gleeson, for producing something that useful.
Steve
Johnny Test
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Johnny Test »

Firebird wrote:The fact that you and Johnny have been able to produce one seems to prove that its easy to use and therefore everybody can personalize their own system quite easily to their hearts content.
Actually, they'll also need an AFCAD viewer program, which can be found at flightsim.com :shock:
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You are quite correct, but it does mention it in the docs for the ILS_GPS_Approach_Creator proggy.
Steve