The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Nellis Air Force Base Package by MAIW: Part I

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Bora

Re: Nellis Air Force Base Package by MAIW

Post by Bora »

I have it exactly like that !

Jolly pad runway + taxiways show up fine...

It's just the main runways, the taxiways and the parking ramps that are missing... The overrun area's of the runway do show up though !

After removing the MAIW Afcad for Nellis and going back to the default FS9 Afcad the same thing happens !
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Bora wrote:I have it exactly like that !

Jolly pad runway + taxiways show up fine...

It's just the main runways, the taxiways and the parking ramps that are missing... The overrun area's of the runway do show up though !

After removing the MAIW Afcad for Nellis and going back to the default FS9 Afcad the same thing happens !
Thanks, Bora.
This sounds like the afcad is actually underground. What Mesh do you use if any?
Steve
Bora

Post by Bora »

No mesh that I am aware of ! Default Las Vegas + McCarran airport...

Be aware, the default Afcad doesn't show up either after installing Nellis and removing the MAIW Afcad...
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Bora wrote:No mesh that I am aware of ! Default Las Vegas + McCarran airport...

Be aware, the default Afcad doesn't show up either after installing Nellis and removing the MAIW Afcad...
No it wouldn't do. We can't have the old stuff showing through. Thanks.
Steve
sr01
Major
Major

Re: Nellis Air Force Base by MAIW

Post by sr01 »

planejunky wrote:I've installed the exe file upon download, and added the scenery, landclass, and extra MAIW scenery library files but can't get the taxiway, runway or ASP textures to show up. I seem to remember having similar issues with the Lakenheath scenery but can't remember how I fixed it! :?

Any help would be appreciated please. :D
Justyn
Initially, I had same problem .I followed the Nellis instructions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" 2) Click on “ADD AREA” and navigate to the “MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV)” folder and add that folder, then navigate to the “MAIW Scenery Library Objects” folder and add it to your scenery library. Finally add the last folder, “MAIW Land Class” in the same way. ***Note it is important that you place the “MAIW Land Class” folder and “MAIW Scenery Library Objects” folder as far down your addon scenery list as possible by using the Move Down button. Ideally they should be lower than any other scenery you may have added and just above the default FS9 scenery libraries. The “MAIW Land Class” folder should be below the “MAIW Scenery Library Objects” folder. This will assure that you do not have any missing scenery or land class."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An' everything shows up fine , after I placed Nellis @ #9 in the addon scenery list.
Nice package and congrats to the MAIW Nellis afb crew !!
Cheers
Brian
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Have any of you tried removing the flatten file that's part of the scenery?
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Bora

Post by Bora »

MIKE JG wrote:Have any of you tried removing the flatten file that's part of the scenery?

Yep, tried that... Doesn´t help...
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Ok, well that's one less thing to worry about.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Bora

Post by Bora »

After removing all the files that came with this Nellis package, even the default Nellis is not showing... Just one big empty space... Looks like some kind of exclude file is causing this...
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Bora,
I know that this may not be answerable but do you happen to know when Nellis was OK, before the install?

We have had some problems before with Alphasim bases causing this disappearance of Nellis. Do you have any of their scenery installed? I can't remember the one that caused this issue, but I think that Groom Lake did.
Steve
ardethomas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ardethomas »

Tonopah scenery from Alphasim was causing problems on Nellis in my set up and had to get rid from it.

I have no problems with MAIW Nellis pack.
xerxes
Cadet
Cadet

Post by xerxes »

Felixthreeone wrote:
xerxes wrote:I just downloaded it, can't wait to get it running.

Do we get a TBird airshow? Do they tour the USA?

You guys do great work!

....Actually, xerxes, they fly to a practice area at the beginning of the week, then off to Oshkosh at the end of the week...

Great! I took apart the traffic file and was looking at that last night. The base looks phenomenal. I got a slow video card, so I'm getting some stutter issues but I don't care. It's worth it just to have this package.
planejunky
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by planejunky »

ardethomas wrote:Tonopah scenery from Alphasim was causing problems on Nellis in my set up and had to get rid from it.

I have no problems with MAIW Nellis pack.
I had Fallon, Langley, and Tyndall loaded, I've removed them at all is well. Strangely I've managed to keep CFB Cold Lake on there, which I'm very happy about as I didn't want to lose it.

Thanks for all the help. :D
Justyn

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

I had the same problem regarding the runways and taxi-ways NOT showing up......

Followed this thread and removed Alphasim's FALLON NAS!

That did the trick! :D

I'm pretty confident that one day MAIW will get their hands on this base..... :smt002

So a BIG THANK YOU once again to this true piece of art!

THANKS MAIW! :D
Bora

Post by Bora »

Okay, besides Alphasim Nellis and Groome Lake, I removed all other Alphasim sceneries as well and now everything is showing !

:D
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

I am NOT trying to hijack this thread but can someone explain to me scenery layering and the proper way to have it prioritized.... It may help us solve some of these problems...

From my scenery.cfg file I have 299 layers numbered from [General] to [Area.299]. The first 38 areas are Microsoft default with my [Area.38] being my addon scenery layer. From [Area.39] to [Area.293] I have my scenery of different items added then from [Area.294] I have MAIW Scenery Library Objects, [Area.295] Excludes [Area.296] Landclass (which includes MAIW landclass and a lot more LC files), [Area.297] Ultimate Terrain - Canada/Alaska [Area.298] Utimate Terrain - USA..

What I get confused on is that when you add scenery thru Flight Sim is is numbered backwards compared to the Scenery.cfg file. IE Uktimate Terrain - USA is numbered 1, Ultimate Terrain - Canada/Alaska is 2 etc.

I have to keep the Nellis layer below the Landclass, Ultimate Terrain, Scenery objects to get it to show....correct????

Should I move the addon scenery (mine has about 4000 AFCADs in it) to the #1 position in Flight Sim?? Does that help make the visual scenery such as runways, taxiways show??

Sorry for such a long post.....Also please give me info where most of you place mesh at. I have seen it told to be placed in Addon scenery, World scenery and make up a layer for it. Whats best??

Thanks for any info on this subject......
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Trim_tab
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Trim_tab »

MIKE JG wrote:In this particular case, the parking is probably not the issue. There should be plenty of parking spots even for your own AI that you've created. Unless you've completely swamped the base with your own flight plans, in that case you're on your own.

The most likely cause is due to the fact that there are extra nodes located very near the runway hold short node. Large aircraft such as the C-5 and KC-135 with their 44m parking radius have a tendency to do this when they pull off the runway if there are unlinked nodes nearby.

These unlinked nodes are used as eye candy to enhance the visual appearance of the AFCAD file. However when we do this, if we're not careful, we can cause large radius AI to try to lock onto one of these extra nodes after it has been cleared to taxi to a parking spot.

In this case, there are extra nodes near the real hold short node that add apron edging and extra taxi lines, neither of which are required as part of the plumbing for the AFCAD. They are simply there for looks, nothing else. When an AI aircraft pulls off the runway and reaches its first hold short node, it stops and then after being cleared to taxi, looks for the next closest node in the AFCAD to guide it towards the gate.

My personal belief, I do not have proof of this, but I believe that the larger the aircraft's radius value, the further out it looks for the next available node. So in this case a fighter or something smaller than 44m can come along and successfully find the next proper taxi node in the sequence because it is not "seeing" the other fake nodes nearby due to its smaller radius value. So those smaller aircraft do not go "poof" in cases like this. However the big guys come along, and see all these extra nodes nearby. If they decide to latch onto one of these nodes that are not connected to the AFCAD's taxi plumbing system, the result is that they disappear as you are seeing in this case.

This should fix the problem and I will work on updating the package so that this corrected afcad is incorporated. Please let me know if this does not fix the issue.

EDIT: AFCAD download moved to first post in the thread.

Thats a very interesting theory Mike... very possible, especial if the unlinked Nodes are close to the taxiways that connect to the runway links... very nice package none the less, and just in time for the Holidays.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays to the entire MAIW team/staff and Community!... thank you for all your hard work.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

flyboy wrote:I am NOT trying to hijack this thread but can someone explain to me scenery layering and the proper way to have it prioritized.... It may help us solve some of these problems...

From my scenery.cfg file I have 299 layers numbered from [General] to [Area.299]. The first 38 areas are Microsoft default with my [Area.38] being my addon scenery layer. From [Area.39] to [Area.293] I have my scenery of different items added then from [Area.294] I have MAIW Scenery Library Objects, [Area.295] Excludes [Area.296] Landclass (which includes MAIW landclass and a lot more LC files), [Area.297] Ultimate Terrain - Canada/Alaska [Area.298] Utimate Terrain - USA..

What I get confused on is that when you add scenery thru Flight Sim is is numbered backwards compared to the Scenery.cfg file. IE Uktimate Terrain - USA is numbered 1, Ultimate Terrain - Canada/Alaska is 2 etc.

I have to keep the Nellis layer below the Landclass, Ultimate Terrain, Scenery objects to get it to show....correct????

Should I move the addon scenery (mine has about 4000 AFCADs in it) to the #1 position in Flight Sim?? Does that help make the visual scenery such as runways, taxiways show??

Sorry for such a long post.....Also please give me info where most of you place mesh at. I have seen it told to be placed in Addon scenery, World scenery and make up a layer for it. Whats best??

Thanks for any info on this subject......
OK, I will try to explain as far as I understand it. However corrections for my errors will be gratefully received.
I always refer to the layer numbers as they appear in FS9. I know that this is the inverse to how they appear in the scenery.cfg, which is why I ignore it as most sane people use FS9 itself to make the alterations. Your FS9 world gets built from the bottom up, like a metaphorical sponge cake.

The lower the layer number the later they get applied. Think of that list as gigantic sponge cake, layer 1 is the icing on the top and is applied last of all, whereas layer xxx, is the base layer and applied first.
The MS layers must be at the bottom as these define the world and its default mesh, the last of that list to be applied is the Addon Scenery folder. This makes sense as you are making amendments to a completed, if somewhat spartan world.

Hopefully that makes sense. Now we all complicate things by wanting to make the world more realistic. Now the way that we should make a different world is first make the lumpy-bumpy bits. So we apply mesh layers next. Then we want to paint the ground, so then we apply new landclass layers. I will simplify thing here by saying that you then places scenery on you new world, i.e. airfields etc.
I say simplified as in reality we all use various libs in our scenery and these must be known before you can use them. So these libs like MAIW, EZ-Scenery or Static Object Libs must be below everything that calls them, i.e airfields.

Now in the strict purest sense you should apply all mesh layers first, then all landclass layers, then all third party object libs and finally all scenery layers. In reality most people don't. You can have have your landclass folder just below your appropriate scenery folder, and I have seen a lot of third party addons operate this way.
It should be pointed out that the MAIW Landclass folder contains files for many of our sceneries so it must be placed below ALL MAIW scenery folders. The same rule as objects applies here.

Hopefully it makes sense, but if not feel free to ask a question. I am addressing this to all that read this in the hope of greater understanding.
I will know answer flyboy's question specifically.

Again, using the FS9 list, to avoid confusion, this is how your layer set up should be to appear as it is intended, using only our relevant numbers.

TOP----
1. MAIW Nellis AFB
2. MAIW Scenery Library Objects
3. MAIW Land Class
4. UT USA
5. Addon Scenery
REST OF MS DEFAULTS
BOTTOM ----

Finally, a quick word on the Addon Scenery folder. Some people like and prefer it to be number one overall. This is fine and works fine both ways, PROVIDING that you have no conflictions in any sceenry layers that you add. If it left where I have it any afcads that you have in there will be superceded by scenery above. You may prefer this. If it is number 1 overall, then it will supercede any afcads in individual scenery folders, also any excludes that you have in there will be applied to scenery layers below.

For those of you that have not fallen asleep, I hope that this is helpful.
Steve
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joecoastie »

Firebird wrote:
TOP----
1. MAIW Nellis AFB
2. MAIW Scenery Library Objects
3. MAIW Land Class
4. UT USA
5. Addon Scenery
REST OF MS DEFAULTS
BOTTOM ----

Finally, a quick word on the Addon Scenery folder. Some people like and prefer it to be number one overall. This is fine and works fine both ways, PROVIDING that you have no conflictions in any sceenry layers that you add. If it left where I have it any afcads that you have in there will be superceded by scenery above. You may prefer this. If it is number 1 overall, then it will superceded any afcads in individual scenery folders, also any excludes that you have in there will be applied to scenery layers below.

For those of you that have not fallen asleep, I hope that this is helpful.
Thanks Steve -
I have one (or maybe two) questions on this . . . The ADDON SCENERY folder . . .what does it contain ? All of the folders above it, or do you have the ones above it as separate folders ?
Joe
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Joe,
No, in a nutshell the system searches ONLY the SCENERY and TEXTURE subfolders under the specifically named folder in the scenery.cfg .
The Addon Scenery folder itself has two subfolders, by default, Scenery and Texture, and these are the folders that are controlled by that particular entry. Most other scenery folders are also placed in that folder but are not searched by the system.

If the search was fully recursive, i.e. searched folders under the parent, then you probably wouldn't need to ever add another line to you scenery.cfg but you would then not be able to control which scenery loaded first.
So every pure scenery folder should be a separate entry even if they lay under the Addon Scenery folder itself.

Does this answer your question(s)?
Steve