The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Nellis AFB CTD's support thread

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Nellis AFB CTD's support thread

Post by MIKE JG »

Hmm....I just had a thought (I know, it's a rarity these days).

What really is the difference between FS9.0 and 9.1?

I thought I knew, but now I'm not so sure?

How do you tell which version you have?
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

FS9.1 was the official MS upgrade that they released some time ago, also known as FS9Update. It fixed a lot of bridge issues amongst other stuff.

If you look at the version tab of the FS9 icon properties, it will tell you.

I have attached the readme that FS9.1 upgrade installs into your FS9 folder.
Attachments
FS9UpdateReadme.zip
(18.47 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Steve
tjwhite56
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by tjwhite56 »

MIKE JG wrote:Hmm....I just had a thought (I know, it's a rarity these days).

What really is the difference between FS9.0 and 9.1?

I thought I knew, but now I'm not so sure?

How do you tell which version you have?
The best way I can tell is in your main Flightsim folder ther is an update uninstall icon put there when the update is installed. I sent you a PM
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Ahh....ok. What do you know, I still have 9.0 and get a runtime error when I try to install 9.1

BTW, last week I did try checking dawn/dusk texture blending on and off as part of my troubleshooting efforts. On the laptop (that has just a generic graphics card) it did not crash. So it indeed may be specific to higher end cards.
-Mike G.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Mike, One thing I can remember about the upgrade is that it has to be made on a clean system. If it finds that you have replaced any of the files that it wants to upgrade then it will blow out.
You basically have to do it straight after a fresh install.
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

I have had crashes at Nellis with my old computer, but this is a new computer I am using now and I haven't had time to re install my FS9 yet. The new computer has a GeForce GTX 275 graphics card in it.
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

If you have the no cd ""hack"" installed it won't work as well
Barry
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK, Joseph.
Well once you have let us know if you have a problem or not, and whether the two known issues apply to you and if their fixes work.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

btaylo24 wrote:If you have the no cd ""hack"" installed it won't work as well
You are right, I was hoping that I covered it but maybe I should have been specific here.
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Well I hope to have some time tonight to start re installing my FS9. Nellis will be one of the first add ons I re install when I get FS9 installed.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Ahh....yea got the No CD crack installed so I'll have to start from scratch when I get home.
-Mike G.

Ray_Merkel

Post by Ray_Merkel »

Firebird wrote:Thanks, Ray. Can you confirm that it loads OK during the day as well.

Oh and you should really find and install the egg, you will like it :wink:

Steve,
I just loaded Nellis during the daytime and it works just fine! This is without the Dawn/Dusk smoothing option selected.

I will look for and try to install the Easter Egg!

Ray
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

This is a list iof fixes in the FS9.1 patch if anyone is interested:

Overview of Changes

Fixed Autogen performance degradation –
Flying out of an area then back to the same area may cause lower frame rates. The problem was due to a memory leak and how Flight Simulator handled autogen objects. Depending on the specific configuration and scenario, some users observed significantly lower frame rates. The update fully addresses this issue and users should have full functionality of all autogen objects without adverse performance problems.

Fixed Seasonal Crash to Desktop –
Going to specific airports during certain seasons would cause Flight Simulator to crash. In previous versions of Flight Simulator we assumed there would be 16 or fewer land classes within a 1km patch of terrain. That assumption was no longer valid for Flight Simulator 9.0. This could cause Flight Simulator to crash when loading areas with a large number of land class seasonal and vector data variations. This issue has been fully addressed and Flight Simulator will no longer crash when loading these land class seasonal and vector data variations.

Improved Digital Elevation Mesh Support –
The Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight (update) increases the level of digital elevation mesh (DEM) support from 38 meters to 19 meters.

Replaced Missing Landmark Bridges –
In Flight Simulator 9.0 we replaced many old bridge models with new bridge models. During this process many bridges that were in previous versions of Flight Simulator were inadvertently omitted and the new bridge model was never placed. We replaced approximately 160 missing bridge models that were omitted from Flight Simulator 9.0.

See the Appendix: List of Replaced Bridges for a listing of the replaced bridges. (TOO MANY TO ADD!)

Note: Set the Scenery Density setting to Normal or higher to see the new bridge models.

Added Autogen Objects to KJFK Satellite Photo –
With the exception of KJFK airport, all High Detail airports in Flight Simulator 9.0 were annotated with autogen objects. We have now added Autogen objects to the area in and surrounding KJFK airport.

Fixed Multiple Sporadic Crashes -
We have identified and repaired several areas in the Flight Simulator code to improve stability for very specific conditions involving ATC, AI aircraft, aircraft loading, facilities, weather, and multiplayer.

Fixed the Incorrect Check Ride Certificate –
When completing the Solo Checkride, you’ll now receive the Solo Certificate, not the Private Pilot Certificate.

Improved Support for Matrox Parhelia Cards –
Rendered fog now displays correctly in the Virtual Cockpit on Matrox Parhelia video cards.

Water rendering and the Japanese language –
Water effects now render correctly in the Japanese language version.

Fixed multiplayer support –
In certain scenarios, a failed DirectX installation caused Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight to stop functioning when multiplayer sessions were initialized. This problem is fixed in the update.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ray_Merkel wrote:Steve,
I just loaded Nellis during the daytime and it works just fine! This is without the Dawn/Dusk smoothing option selected.

I will look for and try to install the Easter Egg!

Ray
Thanks, Ray.

So now it seems that the only person with an issue is Kurosaki, we shall wait to find out more from him and then we can take appropriate action with regards to the package.

Unless anybody knows anything different ....
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Steve I'm gonna start asking around on the various developers forums to see if anyone has ever heard of an issue like this before. Maybe someone out there knows something that we don't.
-Mike G.

fishlips

Post by fishlips »

When developing VOZ scenery for Australia, over the six years we had lots of issues like this a long the way and we found many different reasons for CTD's and some issues went unresolved after exhaustive searches to find a reason. It is very difficult to find these problems when they only occured to a minority of users and many contained to those with lower end PC's and graphic cards, etc.
For all we knew, AI aircraft from another freeware package could be tipping there memory over the edge, this includes AI flying into the FS load sector.
I found the air space around Nellis to be rather heavy without John's scenery installed so any additional scenery on top of the default will weigh heavily on lower end PC's, especially if a heavy frame rate AI aircraft were present in the loadable sector.
Another cause of CTD's were the Afcad it self, for some reason an afcad would corrupt and once a new one was developed the issue was fixed.
I doubt that John's scenery is the cause. One way to test this is to remove the MIAW fight plans for Nellis, if the problem remains then it may be possible that some thing in the scenery is not quite right, keeping in mind that some graphic cards can be the cause.
Like I said earlier, we often found the problem of CTD came back to a AI model, usually of some age and built for FS2002.
Of course FS9 default has a heap of memory leaks, to fix these problems we often patched them. Using photo-real ground textures is one way of doing it.
It may be just a matter of users removing the added extra's in Johns scenery such as vehicles, etc to provide enough memory for it to load and hold stable or to reduce some of there AI traffic.
Hope this helps somebody in self diagnosing there particular problem.
sr01
Major
Major

Re: Nellis AFB CTD's support thread-perhaps another clue

Post by sr01 »

Mike and the rest of the MAIW wizards
My system, fwiw, is quad Q6700 @2.66 ghz ,Nvidia 8600gt ,64bit
FS9 + FSgenesis mesh and Howard's Mix
After numerous tests :roll: I get the dreaded CTD @ dawn and dusk ,HOWEVER, by first flying out of KINS, WITH a default A/C, system is stable .By remaining in FS9 and then moving over to Nellis, NV11 etc ,remains stable even with addon A/C .
Cheers
Brian
Kurosaki
Captain
Captain

Post by Kurosaki »

Firebird wrote:So now it seems that the only person with an issue is Kurosaki, we shall wait to find out more from him and then we can take appropriate action with regards to the package.
Sorry for that wait...things work fine now for me...Dusk/dawn blending on off. If I do find anything I'll be sure to post here.

It does my heart good to see one of my favorite air bases in such detail. Very nice work and a big thanks to the creators.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

John's scenery......
:smt009
-Mike G.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Its interesting what Mark said, as both Mike and myself use the Las Vegas LoRes scenery from BlueSkyScenery and we don't have the CTD. I am going to try now with the photoreal disabled.

UPDATE
Amazing, we now have another cure. With the BlueSkyScenery Vegas active, no CTD, with it disabled, CTD.
Both tests were done at Dawn and both had the Dawn/Dusk Blending on.

So anybody that fancies trying that to see the effect go to http://www.blueskyscenery.com/download.html and get the Normal Res version from Terminal G.
It would be interesting if you get the same result. If so it would seem to be a FS9 memory leak issue.
Steve