The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Nellis AFB CTD's support thread

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Ray_Merkel

Re: Nellis AFB CTD's support thread

Post by Ray_Merkel »

Steve,

I will download the Las Vegas Scenery and give this a try and see if this works.

I was wondering if anyone tried to load Nellis during the Spring and Summer to see if you get a CTD?

I will try that and see.

Thanks for all of your help and troubleshooting! You guys are the best!

Ray

Note: Tried different seasons with the dawn/dusk blending turned on: Still get the CTD

Edit: Just loaded the Las Vegas Scenery and restarted FS with the dawn/dusk blending turned on. I loaded Nellis without any trouble. I tried it at dusk and it loaded successfully!

I just downloaded the Las Vegas Scenery and will try it right now.
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

fishlips

Scenery was mostly done by Mike I believe?
Mike, am I correct?...Sorry I had to bring it up
Barry
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

That is correct. We tried to split it up by having John do most of the objects on the east side of the base and I did everything on the west side. If you notice the distribution of objects between the east and west sides of the base, you'll see that I drew the short straw. 8)
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Thanks, Ray.
It would seem to prove that the CTD is indeed caused by a memory leak, and at least we can give people another option now, as well as promote other great freeware.
For anybody else using wanting to try the photoreal scenery, be sure to use the normal, LR, version only as the readme for the HR mention that due to the nature of that res you will lose airfield lighting. Shame but there you go.

@Mike,
This seems to wrap this up. The cause and two work arounds. Do you agree?
Steve
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Sorry about that Mike, I'm so used to seeing John's name on the texts that I simply didn't read it. The scenery is terrific in my view and I can see that many hours of work went into each model and texture. I 've only ever seen one model cause CTD so I knew these models were highly unlikely to be the cause.

For the record, I get a low 12-20 frames at Nellis using only default mesh and I don't have CTD issues at all, could be my version of FS9.1 or graphic card holding it together but also I don't have as much U.S. commercial AI traffic as a local would normlly install.

It may well pay to put together some freeware photo-real ground if the memory leak problem continues or I could ask Loz in the New Year to have a look at it for you. It really helps in the frame rate department which is why all of mine and Loz's scenery is photo-real.

Mark
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Mike, I thought this was interesting enough to mention. I removed the MAIW flight plan for Nellis from the package and to my supprise I found a heap of AI aircraft from packages that I had downloaded over the years, including some fairly outdated models of CF18's F/A18's, Mike Stone models, UKMil models, World of AI models and some which I have no idea. There flight plans are obviously wide spread and well hidden and will be difficult to track down in my folder.

If other's have downloaded packages and flight plans over the years, they will very likely find a similar issue which could lead to there sim CTD's. I know for a fact that the CF/18's have caused CTD for me at other airports when grouped. Also with Las Vagas not far away, overhead traffic from there will increase the risk of problems, especially when using ATC guidance. I had a similar issue with my RAAF Amberely scenery where Brisbane traffic and memory leaks caused CTD when the skies became busy.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

MIKE JG wrote:Ahh....yea got the No CD crack installed so I'll have to start from scratch when I get home.
You will need to search out and obtain the 'no cd hack for fs9.1' as the older hack will not work with the update.

Ron
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Thanks Ron, I didn't know there were two versions.
-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

@Steve, I wouldn't exactly call it case closed just yet as I'd like to understand how this memory leak/CTD occurs. I was under the impression that memory leaks caused CTD's over a period of time as opposed to right away like we are seeing here.

My point is that the CTD's seem to be related to the two ground polygon files that I made that both make use of custom ground textures that we also have made. So is there something I could be doing differently as opposed to what I am doing now?

I have a sneaky suspicion that when I get back home, and turn on dawn/dusk texture blending, that I might also get a CTD. We'll see. The good news is that if I can replicate the CTD on my machine, I can experiment with the ground texture polygons to see if I can come up with a natural fix instead of the work arounds that we have found so far.
-Mike G.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Fair enough, Mike.
I like this investigative work and I would like to get it nailed down. I just have a feeling that we aren't going to get this on this one. I would like to be wrong though.
Steve
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by awj112 »

I have issues with Nellis during dusk as well. Wanted to monitor the thread before adding input. Nellis appears to work just fine during the day and at night. I initially thought it was a parking issue because I saw the crash whenever FS 2004 reported that I had selected a "Jolly Pad" location or ground AI location when trying to pick parking.

As for the requested details;

1. Version of OS: Windows Vista Ultimate x86 sp2
2. Version of FS: FS 2004 (9.1)
3. Nellis and Easter Egg installed or Nellis only.: Both Nellis and Easter Egg installed
4. Time of day that CTD occurs.: Dusk
5. UT USA installed or not.: UT USA installed
6. Third party mesh installed and if so which one. FS Global X 2008
7. Was the package installed manually or using the installer. Installer
Johnny Test
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Johnny Test »

awj112 wrote:I have issues with Nellis during dusk as well. Wanted to monitor the thread before adding input. Nellis appears to work just fine during the day and at night. I initially thought it was a parking issue because I saw the crash whenever FS 2004 reported that I had selected a "Jolly Pad" location or ground AI location when trying to pick parking.
Did you disable your "Dawn/Dusk Smoothing" in my FS9 settings menu yet?...If not, give that a shot.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

awj112 wrote:I have issues with Nellis during dusk as well.

What video card are you using?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Kurosaki
Captain
Captain

Post by Kurosaki »

Just another quick question, is anyone else using an integrated intel video card? Everything works fine, except when looking at the buildings and structures to the north and the frame rate drops to single digits. Probably a function of the weak graphic capabilities I'm working with, but I thought 6GB of ram and a quad core would compensate.

ALSO, anyone looking for a good time to fly with some of the traffic, be sure to depart Area 51 (assuming you have that scenery) and head south at about 11:30 am. Lots of Eagles, Falcons and Hogs heading back and over Vegas to runway 3.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I think your graphics are the big problem. If you trust EBay, you can usually find a used graphics card (buyer beware) for fairly cheap.
-Mike G.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Kurosaki wrote:Just another quick question, is anyone else using an integrated intel video card? Everything works fine, except when looking at the buildings and structures to the north and the frame rate drops to single digits. Probably a function of the weak graphic capabilities I'm working with, but I thought 6GB of ram and a quad core would compensate.
I am assuming that you are using Vista, at least, as XP won't use 6GB as it can't address it. The graphics are only as good as your graphics memory. The 6GB system memory will make no difference to that.
Steve
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

XP will use it if it is 64 bit, right? I'm no computer guy.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yes you are completely correct, Dan.
I just completely forget that XP has a 64bit version. My bad.
Steve
Kurosaki
Captain
Captain

Post by Kurosaki »

Correct, its a Vista (waiting to hear back from the retailer on the 7 "free" upgrade now) 64-bit machine. Another issue with the lack of a video card is a "flickering" problem where the main panel of the aircraft and lower portions of the screen flash white every now and then. Other programs I've installed (Blender) suffer greatly. So, the computer is in 16-bit color display more when using FS and that corrects it.

As for ebay, I'm a fairly active seller and buyer and found a few ok ATI ones. My price range would be below 50$...dont suppose that would get what I need though? :?

To stay on topic however, I did experience a crash last night when flying at dusk. I turned off the blending and then everything was fine. Love that traffic though! Reminds me of the times I've been privileged to work near the "test sites" and see the action from the desert basins.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I bought my current card, a used GeForce 7800 GT for about that price, so I know you can get a good deal if you are patient.
-Mike G.