The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

General MAIW Package Issues

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: General MAIW Package Issues

Post by campbeme »

:smt023
Mark
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

hgschnell wrote:hurray,

a larger exclude did it!

no idea why this was no common problem

Just a common note
Pylons, road lights etc tend to be in strings so you have to exclude the "Master object" to exclude them all if you can understand that :)

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
puerto0711
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by puerto0711 »

I am having hard time placing the scenery and addon scenery on the correct places due to the number of files going to each one . I follow the training guide to migrate the files. I am not seeing and military parking at all, and Im missing some traffic. I have windows 7 32bit.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Are you talking about FSX? If so, wrong topic.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
puerto0711
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by puerto0711 »

please give me the right link to post my problem!!!
jethomasjr

Post by jethomasjr »

Upgraded to Windows 7. After installing a fresh copy of FS9 and MAIW -Luke, Hill packages I get the following:

LUKE AFB PACKAGE:
After loading FS9 went throught the whole updating the scenery index. When I go into the game there is nothing there. When I go into the Scenery Library - Add-On Scenery to add it, there is nothing in the Texture or Scenery folders. However, when I go into the Add-On Scenery folder manually the files are there. The aircraft loaded into my Airplane folder but none are present in game. In the Scenery World folder the Luke AFB.bgl file shows up.

HILL AFB PACKAGE:
Pretty much the same as Luke, but the buildings are green squares. No aircraft show up in game but they are in airplane folder and the rest is same as Luke package.

Jack
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

did you choose to run as administrator when executing the MAIW package? I have found that with windows 7 its the only way things install properly in FS9....also have to run FS9 as administrator.
jethomasjr

Post by jethomasjr »

LEBTowerGuy wrote:did you choose to run as administrator when executing the MAIW package? I have found that with windows 7 its the only way things install properly in FS9....also have to run FS9 as administrator.

No, I always forget to do that. I did mess with it some more last night and got Luke to install. I figure on my next day off I will un-install the Hill package and reinstall it.

Thanks
jethomasjr

Post by jethomasjr »

jethomasjr wrote:
LEBTowerGuy wrote:did you choose to run as administrator when executing the MAIW package? I have found that with windows 7 its the only way things install properly in FS9....also have to run FS9 as administrator.

No, I always forget to do that. I did mess with it some more last night and got Luke to install. I figure on my next day off I will un-install the Hill package and reinstall it.

Thanks
Uninstalled and reinstalled the Hill AFB package. I still get the green blocks, but I think I figured out what they are. "TREES". The buildings show up now. Any ideas?

Jack
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

you need the Gerrish Gray tree library trees_v3.zip found either on avsim or flightsim.
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

I might be a bit slow on this one, but, when installing packages with scenery included,do they all use the same objects library or is each different?
I seem to have lost some textures from the UK apaches scenery and also some of my other scenerys are not displaying correctly, which I am still trying to figure out which is the offending file (might not be a MAIW scenery)

Many thanks

DaveB
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

There are some standard libraries but these are in there own folder rather than the individual scenery folders.
Some sceneries have older versions of the standard libraries but the newer versions should be 100% compatible.
If there are like minded libs in individual scenery folders then it is possible that these do have mods.

Hopefully this helps rather than muddies things.
Steve
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

Thanks Steve.

That puts my mind at rest, now to find which is my problem scenery.

DaveB
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave Waffler »

I've been getting some very intense drop in frame rates around some of the bases, even blurs out the surrounding areas when getting near some. I've found on some occasions that if I rename the VTPL and VTPP files for the bases, the problem seems to go away quite a bit. On a couple of these bases, there's no traffic at all (which I know about, that's not a problem), so I know it's not the planes.

I'm just curious to what those files are for the different bases? Main ones I'm having a problem with is Nellis and Hill. Machine is a Windows 7, with FS2004. FS works fine otherwise, but only when I get near those bases does the framerates drop off.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

The VTPL files add roads, powerlines, rivers and railroad tracks to the surrounding terrain. The VTPP files add ground polygons which are polygons of different textures for things like cities, airport backgrounds, tarmacs, etc.

Almost sounds like a texture issue, like your setup is not finding the textures that are being asked for from those type of files.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Dave,
Make sure that your FS9 setting for Global max texture size to massive, which equates to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 in your fs9.cfg, if you don't you will get blurries occasionally. I believe it sets the limit for the size of bitmap processing.
Steve
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave Waffler »

Will do, let me see how that works. Thanks guys!!!!
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave Waffler »

Well, after trying the suggested changes to the texture settings, and redownloading and reinstalling the two bases that were giving me the biggest fits (Nellis and Hill), the issues have gone away. Will try this with other bases I run into with this problem when I run upon them.

But, even after reinstalling Hill, I still have these funky looking trees. They just look like big green plus sign from above, and have no texture whatsoever with them. All the other tress installed at different locations have trees that look right. Not sure what it is about them, but I'm no going to sweat it out :)

Thanks guys!!!!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

The answer to that is buried somewhere in the Hill AFB support thread.....
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Peterwk
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Peterwk »

Dear All,

May I ask what the purpose of the xxxx_VTPP.bgl file is?

The reason for my question is that I have isolated this file as being the cause of FS9 crashes. For example, when I added the recent Pope scenery and then tried to see what the scenery looked like, FS9 would hang as it got to the "loading terrain" part. When I disabled the file (by calling it a .bgx file), I was able to get to KPOB with no problems.

This has happened to me with at least another 3 sceneries that I can think of.

So I, as a matter of course, just rename this file as a .bgx file in other sceneries - it seems to work OK without it.

Best regards,

Peter Keenan