The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

General MAIW Package Issues

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: General MAIW Package Issues

Post by pslinger »

Thanks for posting this Steve, answers a lot of questions and things that have confused me about the correct way to install scenery. I am doing some scenery clean-up based on guidance you provided in post in another part of the forum. The remaining question I have is; does the scenery look for specific .bgl file following a specific path statement Folder>sub-folder>sub-folder etc. or does it look for a specific .bgl in an active scenery sub-folder? The reason I ask is that I have a specific .bgl file that resides in both a scenery library scenery sub-folder and a scenery sub-folder of a specific scenery. As an example one .bgl resides in the scenery sub-folder of the MAIW Scenery Library Objects FS9 file while the same .bgl exists in the scenery sub-folder of the North Island scenery folder. Can I safely delete one or is it OK to have both? Hope this is clear.

Paul
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Scenery bgls are different to scenery textures.

As long as the lib is loaded before the scenery that requires it then it will find it.
I think that the way it must work is look in the current scenery folder and if it is not there then it looks in memory and if it is not there either it will ignore the request permanently for that session.
What makes me think that is that sometimes a scenery bgl must sometimes be loaded before an object library in a scenery folder, so how can it therefore be loaded? We know that object libraries that are not loaded before the scenery bgls calling for it are ignored so it is the only thing that makes logical sense.

In your specific case you can delete the one in the North Island scenery folder.
Why that one? Well the simple truth is that the MAIW libs are a collection to be loaded before any scenery, so if you delete it from there you will not know if it is called by any other scenery before the North Island scenery.
To be ultra-safe, and it is what I do myself, in the North Island\Scenery folder create an 'archive' folder and move the lib into there.

Then load up the game. If the scenery is as before then you know that you can safely delete it at your leisure.
Steve
snuzz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by snuzz »

Can i have all my lc folders bunched together and all my scenery folders bunched together lower in my scenery.cfg ?
Trying to have a clean up
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

In short yes you should.

The lowest layer numbers should be :-
1. Default MS scenery.
2. Terrain scenery folders.
3. Mesh folders
4. Landclass folders
5. Photoreal scenery (e.g. MegaScenery)
6. Default add-on scenery
7. User add-on scenery folders.

So the layer numbers go from 1 for the MS scenery folders up to xxx for your last user add-on scenery.

Remember this is layer number and NOT the order displayed in your FS9 scenery window.

This is the most efficient way to build your world and get the proper effects.
One other simplification is to have one LandClass folder and put all Landclass files in there. As they will be loaded before any add-on scenery you will not have any issues.
Steve
snuzz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by snuzz »

Ok will give it a go
So if i make a landclass folder which i have and put all my lc folders in their or just the contents from them folders then delete the empty folder and add the folder called landclass to my scenery as normal in fs
Also where would be best for me to place FS Global 2008.
I will sort the layer numbers out with rsc v2
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The only thing to go in the landclass folders should be landclass files, if there are more files than you would think you would have to work out each one individually.
What i mean is there shouldn't be a need for anything else in an lC folder other than lc bgls or instructions and readmes.

What is FS Global 2008?
Steve
snuzz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by snuzz »

FS Global 2008 is world mesh .. how big the hills are :) i think

Doing what you said about landclass folder is to much for me to do as i have opened a few of them and some have lots of files in them
Some folder with lc at the end of the name also have texture folders in them also :(
In fs settings , scenery library scenery area should Addon Scenery\scenery be at top or bottom ...TOP priority 1 or down by Default terrain default scenery ?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

On FS Global you have answered your own question. You said it is a mesh, so according to my list it would go after Terrain scenery folders and before Landclass folders.

OK so if some landclass sceneries have their own textures it is not a big deal.
You will have created a 'LandClass' folder and under it you will have a 'scenery' folder where you will store the lc files. All that you need to do is create a 'texture' folder under 'LandClass' and place the textures in there - no different from any other scenery folder.

Now if you are not convinced this will work then do these tests.
1. Leave the original lc folder as it is and active. Load FS and view the area to scope the look.
2. Disable the original lc folder. Copy the lc file(s) to your new LandClass/scenery folder. Load FS and view the area you should notice some differences.
3. Copy the textures from the original lc folder into your new LandClass folder. Load FS and view the area. You should now get the same effect as you did originally.

Now two things here. Firstly, DO NOT create a 'texture' folder in the new LandClass folder UNLESS you are actually putting something in it. The reason is that there is a well known bug that scenery folders that have empty texture folders cause a memory leak.
Secondly, you don't need to do everything at once. You can create the new folder and copy all the uncomplicated lc files across and inactivate those original folders. You will have already tidied up a lot.
Once you are sure that everything works as you intended only then can you do the final tidy and delete the original folders and remove the original scenery.cfg entries.

Now people do get confused about scenery loading. The word priority gets used a lot but in fact there are two priorities - load priority and display priority.
The scenery listing inside the FS9 control panel lists the view priority from top to bottom. The actual scenery gets loaded in reverse from the bottom up.

The list I mentioned earlier is in LOAD priority order.

The actual load priority is the 'layer' number in the scenery.cfg file, the lower the number the earlier it gets loaded.
Why is this important?
Simply put, if a scenery calls for an object library the object library MUST already be loaded or the scenery will not fail - it will simply not load the objects.
Similarly, if there are untextured objects the cause could well be that object library is calling upon a texture that hasn't been loaded yet. This is why we created the MAIW Global Scenery Libs, so that the libs were loaded before any scenery and therefore the scenery will guarantee to appear correctly.

Does this help?
Steve
snuzz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by snuzz »

Ok
I am trying what you say
Could i post my scenery cfg so you can tell me if its any good now ?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Not really necessary.
Mainly because only you will know what scenery is what.

What I would suggest is making only one type of amendment at a time. What I mean is if you are trying to consolidate your lc files then don't do any other re-organisation at the same time. If something goes wrong you will be at a loss as to where the problem is.
Steve
snuzz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by snuzz »

Ok Great
And thanks for your help
I have sorted some files out and seems a little better in places so happy with the results at that .
Thanks
Jorgen
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by Jorgen »

Question: how does one find specific waypoints? I am looking for these: EB1, EB2, EB3, EB4, EB5 and HELC, but haven't seen a Belgian scenery that would contain these.

Thanks -

Jorgen
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

EB1; EB4 and EB5 are in the Belgian Air Force 15th Transport Wing package
HELC is in tree packages:
Spanish Air Force Eurofighter
Spanish Navy Harriers
German Air Force Eurofighter V.2.0

Giorgio
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Thanks, found them. I guess then that EB2 and EB3 would be in another Belgian package.

Jorgen
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

The only place I can find any reference to EB2 & EB3 is in a 2006 ACI RAF Waddington package produced by Mark Walsh.

On my system I found the 2 of them, from where I'm not too sure. The _GL puhes my towards Greg.

Jim
Attachments
AF2_EB3_GL.bgl
(398 Bytes) Downloaded 54 times
AF2_EB2_GL.bgl
(397 Bytes) Downloaded 58 times
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Those originally came in an old pre-MAIW F-16 package of mine that is no longer available.
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Thanks a lot, guys!

Jorgen
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

I am at it again.... I cannot find the model for the JBSim BAC 1-11 srs. 500, required in the new package of Testbeds. It does not appear to be included in any of the various texture downloads for this airplane that I have been able to find, and there's no JBSim website any more....

Jorgen
paul day
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by paul day »

Hi Jorgen
Search for abrist11.zip on Flightsim.com.

Regards Paul Day.
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Thanks, Paul!!!

Jorgen