The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Robins AFB package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Robins AFB package by MAIW

Post by reconmercs »

please post feedback and questions about this package here.
dexthom
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dexthom »

I am having a problem at KWRB. My FSX start is at Sitka, Alaska. I start there and go to KWRB. If it is night at Warner Robbins, I move there with
no problem. If I change to Day, I experience a CTD. If I rename the AFCAD, I do not get the crash. Of course the default AFCAD has no parks. I can also go to nearby KATL and have the same problem. Rename the KWRB AFCAD and KATL is OK. Any advise?
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

I believe our packages don't officially support FSX.

The AFCADs have a slightly different format for FSX, and FS2004 AFCADs are known to cause problems in FSX.

You could try this, it might help you out -

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... DLID=94380
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

Love those J-Stars!!!!

Absolutely gorgeous with all that smoke......... :shock:

THANKS A LOT!!! :D

a very nice package once again by MAIW
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

I did a manual install of this package and there are no planes at all at Robins AFB. I replaced to old Traffic_USAF_ANG_Southeast.bgl with the new one but no traffic. Iinstalled the new AFCAD also.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Never mind. Stupid me replaced the old Traffic_USAF_ANG_Southeast.bgl with the new one but didn't install the Traffic_00_WoA_Millitary AI Works Robins AFB Package_Wi06.bgl file. :lol: :oops:
swp53
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

KWRB Afcad

Post by swp53 »

Hi,
There seems to be a problem with the AFCAD at KWRB.
All the parking for the E8's is designated "E8 116W 16AC M002"
Entrys in the aircraft section are 12AC,E8 16AC,E8 330C,E8 128A,E8? Should the parking have been coded differently or was no info available for individual units. I have E8's parking where no E* parking is designated.
Also no coded parking for KC-135 of 99thARS ?

There is a lot of parking for C130 aircraft but some of the radius are less than the 21m in the HT Hercules model? The radius at the spots are 49.99 25.91 13.72 all Mil cargo and one GA small marked for C130 at 10m radius?

I know Dan spends a lot of time on his AFCADS so find this one a bit strange?

Regards,
Steve.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

I most likely missloaded the wrong beta into the package before it was uploaded, a replacement will be posted
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

here ya go guys, a "corrected" package will be uploaded in the following days. sorry for the inconvience :oops:
Attachments
MAIW_AF2_KWRB_DEFAULT_DB.bgl
(27.25 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Last edited by reconmercs on 20 Jan 2007, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
swp53
Captain
Captain

KWRB AFCAD

Post by swp53 »

Hi Des,
Thanks for the quick response, everything O.K. now with the new AFCAD.
Regards,
Steve.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I have discovered a problem with the flight models for the E-6B Mercury (Tinker Package) and the E8-B JSTARS (Robbins Package), and I suppose any other A/C sharing the same flight model. While following a JSTARS from Warner Robbins to Dover, I observed that the A/C extended the flaps while at cruise altitude (FL280 in this instance) and was able to achieve only TAS 270. Flaps retracted as A/C decended below FL250 on approach and landed normally. Until I followed a Mercury from McChord to Tinker, I was unable to identify anything specific from this flight. On the ride from McChord to Tinker the A/C accends to FL350 and upon reaching cruise altitude extends his flaps and begins to decend approximately 4000 ft before retracting his flaps and climbing back to cruise altitude again. Repeat throughout the flight until beginning his decent for approach. Of course ATC has a constant fit. Very distracting, not very realistic. I suspect that this only occurs in flights going above FL250 as I have followed other flights and had not noticed this behavior (and I surely would have). In addition I imagine that any flights above FL300 unable to maintain altitude due to TAS not exceeding 270. Thoughts?

Ron
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

FS is a crude tool to do this sort of thing :)

I am sure the modellers and Magic Mike will be interested in your observations. This may be something they are already aware of and there's just no work around. I see that a lot in their development conversations.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Ron,
Can you confirm that the speed was 270 TAS, and not IAS. Was the speed readout from the fs9 screen, using Shift-Z, or some other method?
If it is indeed TAS what IAS do you get?
Steve
hermit

Post by hermit »

Usually this is a symptom of real speeds in aircraft.txt and use of @ in flightplans.txt but this is not the case in this instance.

Maybe a coincidence but cruise_speed=270 in the aircraft.cfg whereas, for example, cruise_speed=545 for both PAI 707 and KC135 which I picked as being similar aircraft types. I have no skill with FDEs to know whether this is significant.

john.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I maybe wrong but I think that the cruise speed is in TAS and the max speed is in IAS. If this is correct then the aircraft, probably, lowers its flaps as its close to its clean stalling speed at those altitudes.

As Des said, maybe Mike will be able to confirm for sure.
Steve
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

BadPvtDan wrote:FS is a crude tool to do this sort of thing :)

I am sure the modellers and Magic Mike will be interested in your observations. This may be something they are already aware of and there's just no work around. I see that a lot in their development conversations.

Dan,

I've never worked with the AI E8 model mentioned by ronniegj, but I am surprised to hear of that particular problem occurring at those relatively low Flight Levels. In my work on the KRAI U-2S FDE I observed that same problem, but at FL 470 and above, which is the norm for the default FS9 tube liners when used as AI.

At first blush it appears to me that the reference speed settings in the AI E8 aircraft.cfg file shown below in bold print have been set inappropriately:

[Reference Speeds]
flaps_up_stall_speed=130.0
full_flaps_stall_speed=108.0
cruise_speed=270
max_indicated_speed=594.000000

max_mach=0.887012

To first order simply changing the above to the following settings used by the FS9 default Boeing 737-400 should eliminate this problem:

[Reference Speeds]
flaps_up_stall_speed = 142.0 //Knots True (KTAS)
full_flaps_stall_speed = 113.0 //Knots True (KTAS)
cruise_speed = 477.0 //Knots True (KTAS)
max_mach = 0.82
max_indicated_speed = 340 //Red line (KIAS)

Of course this change might introduce some other issues, but without testing it myself I can't be sure. If other problems occur, just substituting the last three settings might work better.

There is a common confusion over the difference between KTAS, which is much higher at high atitudes, and KIAS and I think this leads to these inappropriately low settings for the cruise_speed in the aircraft.cfg files for AI.

Mike
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Firebird wrote:I maybe wrong but I think that the cruise speed is in TAS and the max speed is in IAS. If this is correct then the aircraft, probably, lowers its flaps as its close to its clean stalling speed at those altitudes.

As Des said, maybe Mike will be able to confirm for sure.
Steve,

Yes, the cruise_speed is in KTAS and the max_indicated_speed is in KIAS and the latter should always be set about a 100-150 knots lower than the cruise speed. In FS9 it is amazing how low the KIAS is compared to the KTAS as an AI reaches the higher flight levels. This difference is best observed using the Traffic Toolbox Traffic Map function in FS9.

Mike
Last edited by mikewmac on 22 Jan 2007, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

[quote]Firebire wrote: Hi Ron,
Can you confirm that the speed was 270 TAS, and not IAS. Was the speed readout from the fs9 screen, using Shift-Z, or some other method?
If it is indeed TAS what IAS do you get?[/quote]

I used Traffic Viewboard to follow along on those flights and I noted the KTAS readout in that display.

I took another ride this afternoon from Robins to Destin, FL for missed approaches and return. The A/C (JSTARS) flew at FL250 270kts, and did not extend flaps, however, seemed to cruise at a nose high attitude. Again normal ops while in departure and approach phases. BTW, the smoke separates from the A/C at around 300 feet and reconnects when the A/C returns to above 300 feet. If the landing is full stop, smoke stays suspended above and follows the aircraft to parking and vanishes on shutdown.

Ron
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ron,
In which case it seems as it the hypothesis about the AI registering a near stall, above FL250, and extending the flaps still seems to hold water.

Until we can come up with a definitive answer, try the suggestion made by Mike (cruise_speed = 477.0 //Knots True (KTAS)
max_mach = 0.82
max_indicated_speed = 340 //Red line (KIAS) and see if the situation improves. Please let us know your findings as they will help.
Steve
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I'll make that my major project for today. Will report back later, but please note that I'm a little slow now-a-days.

Ron