The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

USAF B-1B Dyess AFB package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

I think its the Dyess update that causes the problems the rest installed ok I left the b1 update to last and bingo they all disapear bar the two in that package

narrow the field down a bit :lol:

Gary

edit - the texure files are still there its just the cfg.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by reconmercs »

hmm...nothing was changed in the herk config for the patch. I'll have to contact Tom.
magic1085
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by magic1085 »

Can somebody tell me the logic behind giving the B-1s the parking code of Mil_Combat?

It is easy to say that it is because it is a bomber...but with the size of the thing, it throws off a scenery when you see one plopped down in the middle of a bunch of F-16s...

Just tossing out an idea, wouldn't it be better in the future if we made bombers to park at mil_cargo spaces and just give em an actual parking code for bases like dyess where the separation is important?
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

yes they were given combat codes cause they are bombers, they do have specific parking codes for Dyess as well, it was a judgement call, most users don't even bother to edit their afcads so usually the B-1s are going to park in the next sizable parking spot anyway. But we'll take your suggestion under consideration :wink:
magic1085
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by magic1085 »

Thanks for the quick reply des...

I am just sort of brainstorming my idea of an Expeditionary Air Wing deployment to Andersen and points beyond while I do this afcad...and was trying to figure out how I wanted to handle the bombers and especially the B-1 since it is released in a package.

I would like to make it as compatible with MAIW as possible...

Matt
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Matt, as with all of our packages the real challenge doesn't come from trying to come up with an appropriate parking code at the given AI aircraft's home base. That's the easy part. The challenge is what do we code the aircraft in it's .cfg file so that when it flies out to Guam via Hickam for example, so that it parks in the correct areas. Like you were saying we don't want it to park in amongst a bunch of fighters (using a B-1 as an example), but do we want it to park in amongst the refuelers or transports either? That's the catch 22 that we always struggle with. I think many moons ago we decided that an aircraft would be coded based on it's real life role, either combat or transport. Obviously there are some that sort of fit in both roles, the AC-130 would be a good example. In those cases we have to just pick one or the other and go with that. So really there's no good way to get around this. We can sort of control things by coding all of the smaller fighter spots first and go up in parking numbers as we increase the parking radius. This way when an F-15 and a B-1 are both looking for the same mil_combat spot, the F-15 should find its appropriately spaced parking spot before getting to the larger radius for the B-1, B-2 or B-52s. Likewise the bombers should be able to sort first through the smaller fighter radius sized spots, before eventually finding a spot that matches their code and radius requirements.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log