The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Paintshop

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Paintshop

Post by nickblack423 »

OK so Im sick of not being able to use photoshop. Ive decided now is the time to learn it. Ive found a few tutorials out there to do this but was wondering if anyone out there has any tutorials of helpful tips on using ADOBE photoshop so that I can learn. I Ideally want to do the textures for my F-14 myself as a test if I can, and would love to find out how some of the effects are done.
Look forward to hearing your tips.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Nick while I don't use Photoshop, I use PaintShop Pro, it is similar. The hardest thing for me was mastering the concept of layering and how each layer relates to one another. There are some incredibly useful functions in both programs when it comes to doing aircraft textures. Trial and error with a few tutorials along the way and you'll be up to speed in no time.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Mike, many thanks I thought that was maybe the way, but there are so many functions in there that simply doing like I usually do and "trial and error learn" is going to be hard. But Ive read a few tutorials so Im gonna give it a whirl.

Cheers
Nick
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

Nick,

I also use Paint Shop Pro and I agree that once you master the use of layers it is pretty much downhill from there except for the development of artistic techniques. :lol:

Mike
Psuls
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Psuls »

I use PSP as well, and I find it easier the photoshop, but it's a matter of habit I guess
Pascal
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Well last night I worked out how to do layers and how to cut out all my fuselage parts and paste them into a new layer and change that to a solid colour and extend the edges by 2 pixels to cover the edge. So getting there. The tools were pissing me off however, cant draw a line or pint or anything.

Gonna take time this but Im gonna persevere. As always.

Nick
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

I use Paint Shop Pro as well, looks like standard here :wink:
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

WAHAYYY Success. God I love it when you persevere with stuff and find out you can actually use it. I think it'll be a bit of time before I get it down to a fine art but Im getting there. Got a layer with panel lines, and made them fade away to blend with the fuselage, and also learnt how to make seperate blocks of colour shading on a texture surface. This is coming great, I'll post some screenies in the NBAI F-14 Tomcat thread later today when I get home.

Nick
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by alexrfixit »

Can anyone point me at a good tutorial on using layers in Paintshop Pro? I have PSP8 but have never been able to figure out how to use layers!
Where did I put my beer??!
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/ ... ntshop-pro

Try looking here. A few tuts down from the top is one called 'How Layers Work" and has a step by step example in PSP (PSP X I think, but you will be able to relate to PSP7) Hope this helps. Also, a while back I found a site with a very extensive set of tut's on PSP covering layers and masks step by step, comes from the far east, so English a little broken but very understandable. When I locate it on my hard drive and verify url will post on this thread for you.

I got all these tut's but still can't seem to get this into my head. Guess I'm not type A or RightSide/LeftSide brain, what ever!

Ron
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by alexrfixit »

Thanks Ronnie, will have a good read of that !
Where did I put my beer??!