The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

ai in fsx not working

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

ai in fsx not working

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Does anyone know why I cant get any ai working in fsx. I have the slider all the way to the right and it will not even show the default ai?

dave lock
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Several things can be the reason.

1. have you mixed FS9 and FSX traffic? As soon as FS9 traffic is installed, default FSX traffic will no longer work

2. have you installed any commercial traffic package, which has disabled the default ai traffic by renaming the default traffic file?

3. have you checked that you are missing ai traffic on all airports or just on some? in the later case ther airports might not be prepared for ai traffic (missing parking spots)

4. have you ever seen any ai traffic or not at all from the beginning

Cheers,
Martin
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Hey Martin

I have taken all the woai packages off, so it is now only the default & hey presto it now works. Thanks for the advice.

regards
dave lock
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Dave,

There are some tools around which can convert FS9 to FSX flight plans, although all I have seen fail to convert the old TNG command.

So I guess it comes down to the laborious fact that if MAIW one day decides to go FSX, that the flight plans will have to be rewritten.

The good news is the new format is not too hard to learn. And what matters most is that the MAIW aircrafts look just gorgeous in FSX.

AFCADs are easy to transfer if they are not using tricks for waypoints and runways. Again how to archive this in FSX is still to be discovered.

Some time ago I have placed a bunch of MAIW crafts in FSX as a proof of concept (http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forum/vi ... c&start=15).
Now I have the ones I really want at they right spot flighing to where I want them to go on my airport. I will post some screen shots the next days.

Cheers,
Martin
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Hi Martin

Now I have AI in FSX working(default only), It realy hits my frame rates. How are you coping with fps with all the MAIW stuff. Also what are you using instead of the afcad program in FSX, I wuold be interested to know.

regards
dave lock
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Our AI a/c are designed from the ground up to give high FPS rates. This is achieved by low-poly counts and multiple LODs. Also we have some really brilliant modellers here :D

I suspect the default FSX a/c are not purpose made for AI.

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

VulcanDriver wrote:Our AI a/c are designed from the ground up to give high FPS rates. This is achieved by low-poly counts and multiple LODs. Also we have some really brilliant modellers here :D

I suspect the default FSX a/c are not purpose made for AI.

John
What can I say - Jon is absolutely right. :D
The MAIW aircrafts are very friendly with your FPS.

I have MyTrafficX as a replacement for the default FS AI. The civil planes are good looking and don't eat up your resources very much. The military planes are - well, how should I put this - ok, not exactly comparable to what is published here. But you have to realize that military traffic is a late addon Burkhard made; originaly MyTraffic was just civil planes.

With the exception of the two Military AI packages from JustFlight I know nothing comparable to the MAIW standards.

So one thing to test how MAIW AI will work on your system is to add the aircrafts you are interested in to a custom aircraft file and compile with the /AutoSchedule parameter. This should send the aircrafts blindly around, but you will then meet them often enough to see what the impact on your frames is.

Cheers,
Martin
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

david lock wrote:It realy hits my frame rates.
What frame rates do you get with what kind of hardware, Dave?

I am working with a combination of ADE (Airport Design Editor) by Jon Masterson (Scruffyduck) and FSXPlanner, a tool from Russel which is a pure JAVA application :shock:

Both are under heavy developement, and still have a way to go. But already it is clear that in future you can choose between at least two good programms to do your AFCAD work. And while both programs are still lacking some things we are all so used to from AFCAD (ex. to rotate the airport view), all this will come and both will be more powerful at the end.

With these tools, Luis Sa's SBuilderX and the updated version of Paavo's Exclusion Builder for FSX you are well prepared to do great sceneries.

You will find both applications at Arnos friendly place: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/

Cheers,
Martin
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Some screen shots to show how AI affects my fps rate.

Being somewhere without much of anything gives me between 30-40 FPS in FSX.

This is a part of my airport with animated and not animated objects, but no aircrafts in view. 27 FPS.

Here we have 6 MAIW Tormados, 6 JustFlight Tornados, 2 JustFlight Su-27s and on FSX Cessna. 25 FPS. This says not only something about good AI models, but you can see that FSX and FS9 is just not comparable from what is going on under the hood.

This time 3 Raptors, 3 Vipers, 3 Warthogs, 3 F-117 (all MAIW) and a Cessna. 26 FPS.

Here we have a big group of heavies, hangars and fighters. Not all in view, but rendered nevertheless:

4 B-52, 4 B-2, 4 B-1, 2 C-17, 2 C-130, 4 C-160 Transall (I am German :D ), 3 Mig-29, 2 KC-130, 2 AWACS. 16 FPS

This is the worst I get, and it is still flyable.

Cheers,
Martin
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Looking good martin. Unfortunatly my fsx has decided to break itself after trying to load the maiw Shaw package. I have uninstalled the package from fsx but it still comes up with an error message saying it cannot find a command line or something like that. I have heared some horror stories about trying to reinstall fsx completely, but its got to be done.

cheers
david lock

P S thanks John,& thanks Martin for all the info
sky hag
Cadet
Cadet

AI MAIW

Post by sky hag »

gsnde wrote:Some screen shots to show how AI affects my fps rate.

Being somewhere without much of anything gives me between 30-40 FPS in FSX.

This is a part of my airport with animated and not animated objects, but no aircrafts in view. 27 FPS.

Here we have 6 MAIW Tormados, 6 JustFlight Tornados, 2 JustFlight Su-27s and on FSX Cessna. 25 FPS. This says not only something about good AI models, but you can see that FSX and FS9 is just not comparable from what is going on under the hood.

This time 3 Raptors, 3 Vipers, 3 Warthogs, 3 F-117 (all MAIW) and a Cessna. 26 FPS.

Here we have a big group of heavies, hangars and fighters. Not all in view, but rendered nevertheless:

4 B-52, 4 B-2, 4 B-1, 2 C-17, 2 C-130, 4 C-160 Transall (I am German :D ), 3 Mig-29, 2 KC-130, 2 AWACS. 16 FPS

This is the worst I get, and it is still flyable.

Cheers,
Hi

Martin how do you change the file get your ai to go from a pipercub to a hungry F-105. :D
Martin
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Let's see....

Are you by any chance talking about that enormous out-of-place Cessna which constantly pops up in my screen shots? :D

By the way, this Skyhawk is not what it seems to be. Skunk labs have made her go Mach3 and she is complete stealthy as soon as she is airborne... 8)