The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MAIW Packages around the net

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

MAIW Packages around the net

Post by bismarck »

Hello all, I was searching something about my ships models on the net, when I tried to search (google) MAIW and Giorgio Perotti.
Here just three examples of what I found:
http://www.fs2000.org/2014/01/24/fs2004 ... o-perotti/
http://rapidlibrary.biz/files/maiw-iaf- ... i89on.html
http://www.worldoffiles.net/link-f-m/ma ... io-perotti

Are these sites authorized/licensed to host MAIW files?

Giorgio
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: MAIW Packages around the net

Post by Greg »

No they are most certainly not, as is stated in our readme. We control where we upload our packages in order to provide the best possible support.

But as with all software, it's impossible to track down all illegal uploads. The victim in the end is the user who downloads these illegal versions as he may not have all the latest updates or, as we have seen in the past, a modified version of a package that doesn't work properly.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I think that I have this correct, that FS2000 is renown for taking uploads and adding them to their site. Even if the readmes say that they are not allowed to.
Steve
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by RKE »

Yeah, FS2000 has a pretty bad reputation around the flightsimming community, and a lot of uploaders specifically state in their readme that uploads to that site won't be permitted ever.

The other two sounds more like link collectors (there's probably a better word for it), in that they don't actually host the files, they just link directly to them at the MAIW sites. The download url is usually obscured and the download link is often hidden amongst loads of ads masquerading as download links.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Firebird wrote:I think that I have this correct, that FS2000 is renown for taking uploads and adding them to their site. Even if the readmes say that they are not allowed to.
FS2000 is too, but the one we mention explicitly in the readme is FSPlanet and I don't think they still upload without our permission. At least not last time I checked.