The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Creating Textures

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Pilot james
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Creating Textures

Post by Pilot james »

Hi Guys,
Can anybody help me on creating textures for an aircraft ? What programs do I need to do it and could you help me alot because i have never created textures so it will be my first time.
Thanks Guys
James
J.Lawson
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Yes, please help him -- a lot -- and then I will be able to learn as well. One of the subjects I'm really block headed on, and I want to change that. Thanks!

Ron
Pilot james
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Pilot james »

I need the help :lol: Im ok at adding them onto the plane but creating them i would love to try :D

James
J.Lawson
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Guys you need a program like MSPaint, Paint Shop Pro or even Photoshop if you really want to dive into creating textures. The upper end programs like PSP (Paint Shop Pro) and Photoshop allow you to work with multiple layers in your textures which really adds to the kinds of things you can do and create. So the first step would be to get a copy of one of these programs, preferably PSP or Photoshop. The next step is to learn to use these programs and to work with layers. That will take a little while and can be a bit frustrating but once you get the hang of it, you will then be able to make repaints, make your own paints or just about anything else you want to do.

So start with getting a hold of a version of PSP or Photoshop or even MSPaint and we'll go from there. Remember you don't need the latest versions of these programs. You can get the "outdated" versions for next to nothing on EBay or similar sites. There are even sites you can get the outdated versions of these programs for free.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

MIKE JG wrote:So start with getting a hold of a version of PSP or Photoshop or even MSPaint and we'll go from there. .... these programs for free.
Or, for a genuinely free programme, try the GIMP
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Pilot james
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Pilot james »

Yup i have photoshop. Where do i go from there. Whats the first step ?

james
J.Lawson
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

Pilot james wrote:Whats the first step ?

james
File > Open...
Pilot james
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Pilot james »

Yup done that
J.Lawson
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Savage wrote:File > Open...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Open up one of the .bmp texture files and go from there..........
-Mike G.

Pilot james
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Pilot james »

MIKE JG wrote:Open up one of the .bmp texture files and go from there..........
Would you be able to do a guide for me because im toatally thick :lol: :lol:
J.Lawson
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Well I guess we should start with this very basic question:

What is it that you want to do, repaint a certain model, modify textures, etc. ?
-Mike G.

ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

So, here is the thing! If I wanted to build up a set of reusable textures in a library, of just plain nature (ie Gray, White, etc) for background, or first coat, as it were, before more detailed textures were layered over, what would I use for size as an example. Say 512x512, 1024x1024 or 512x128 etc, or maybe one of each for each color. Also, would they be plain bmp's or already have alpha channel information, processed thru DTXBMP etc. The purpose would be to be used as the initial application of texture during the building process, not as repaint work. And would be used for all mannor of things, not just a/c. The idea here is to prepare a reusable library of general textures to save time rather than messing with finding and creating textures at the moment when it would be needed. Also, am not necessarily speaking of any detail textures, such as tire tread textures, building siding, roofing etc. I'm aware that a lot of that is in standard libraries already, altho I don't always see what I want. Also, thinking about creating a personal library of digital foto based textures etc, but curious as to what details as above size, bits channels etc would be recommended to make them most useful. Please keep in mind that I am speaking of stuff that would be used for AI, therefore, not memory hoggish, but not blurry looking either. Any thoughts?

Ron
Pilot james
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Pilot james »

Well i wouldnt mind creating a repaint for a chinook or a civi plane. If there was a guide on here it would help lots of people even me :wink:

James
J.Lawson
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

How's your attempt at doing an Ai pack going then James?
Pilot james
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Pilot james »

Savage wrote:How's your attempt at doing an Ai pack going then James?
What do you mean ?? Like creating a pack of AI etc. I can make AI things making them fly to places and doing touch and goes. Im not the best like but i never give up.

James
J.Lawson