The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

What kind of flying do you do?

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

What kind of flying do you do?

Post by Joseph29 »

Usually when I fly a fighter jet I will take off from a base and fly to a nearby airport do a few touch and goes then fly back to the base I took off from (usually I will fly around the area near the base before landing). But that is getting kind of boring so I am wondering why kind of flying do you guys do in the fighter jets to keep it interesting.
Chrisb
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: What kind of flying do you do?

Post by Chrisb »

Use DCS!

Chris
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Get FSX, then purchase Tacpack. I can do a complete mission from take off from a moving carrier, strike targets, avoid SAMs, and finally on the way back to that moving boat, get some gas from a tanker. Same for an AF style mission, sans carrier.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Victory103 wrote:Get FSX, then purchase Tacpack. I can do a complete mission from take off from a moving carrier, strike targets, avoid SAMs, and finally on the way back to that moving boat, get some gas from a tanker. Same for an AF style mission, sans carrier.
I'm with Chris on his suggestion. I only use FS9 now to create AI FDE's for MAIW and a few others and/or to observe military AI flights.

I bought FSX along with the VRS F-18E Superbug and their Tackpack and fly it along with Dino's F-35A, T-45C and F-14D also with TACpack. I'm not as far along in mastering the use of these as Chris, but have found them very enjoyable to fly and shoot down target aircraft. :D

Currently I have created 4 flights of 2 Russian Bears and 2 Russian Flankers flying northwest to southeast over my home airbase from which I scramble flying either the Superbug, F-35A or F-14D to practice my air to air combat skills. From this I've gained a great appreciation for the F-14D's Phoenix missiles and their shoot and forget capability from relatively long distances. They make my intercept and destroy mission pretty much a "turkey shoot" or more accurately a "Bear and Flanker shoot. :lol:

Mike M.
    jetmax
    Major
    Major
    Version: FS9

Post by jetmax »

Join a virtual airline. There are several out there with military themes... One might just be listed below.
    Scott "Jetmax" Jones
    The Virtual Air National Guard
    Ask me how to join....
    http://www.flyvang.org/
    Victory103
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I've been in 3 military based VA's on/off since 2000 due to RW deployments. The advancements in the flight sim community really have allowed us to mirror RW more accurately now then ever before. I can remember in the FS2k2/FS9 days of using effects to simulate weapon drops, taking off from a stationary boat, and tanking was from an AI flightplan (prior to FS Recorder). Air combat was on a laggy server with each player pausing to verify shots. The VA’s are made to get people with the similar interest flying together online, but each have different levels of accuracy. I do have DCS and Falcon BMS, but FS gives me the world to fly in and I can stay somewhat proficient on IFR procedures. I still fly 90% military in the sim, so having accurate military AI for me adds to the immersion factor.

One thing that you can do is download the FS9 flighplans for all the military training routes (MTRs) or low levels. You can find them on the normal download sites. That way you can fly a low level and record it with FS Recorder, then go back in and re-fly flying formation off yourself.
    DUSTOFF
    ARMY PROPS
    NAVY SAR

-Chris
    Joseph29
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Some interesting suggestions! I did not know there was virtual airlines for military flying.
    Victory103 wrote:Get FSX, then purchase Tacpack.
    I am currently saving for a new computer, and when I do have the money I will move on from FS9 and go to P3D.
    Victory103
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Understand, I waited to leave FS9 when I finally had a gaming laptop that could run FSX. Several mods out there to get good enough frames, but I still see Utube vids of guys with everything maxed out and all payware scenery/wx add ons, really amazing and better than any multi-$$$ sim I have flown real world.

For military VAs: http://vasops.vatsim.net/

I'm waiting on P3D, mainly as soon as VRS moves over then I will. A French team is working on a combat addition to FSX, called FSX@War and will be another step towards the "hardcore/study" sims like DCS/Lomac or Falcon.

In the meantime, take advantage of FS Recorder for your military flying fix. I have a few files that might work in FS9, another member in one of my old VA's made an air combat hop out of Yuma with 2xIRIS/DSB F-5's. You will not be able to down them, but the chase is fun!
    DUSTOFF
    ARMY PROPS
    NAVY SAR

-Chris