The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

jumping compass

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
TH7448
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

jumping compass

Post by TH7448 »

High,

since a few days I have a problem with the compass on my C-17. It started from one day to the other. The compass "jumps" back and forth. It's a pain when flying in AP mode, you have stet up the course and the compass leads to unnessecary turns once in a while... Sometimes it comes to differences of more than 15 to 20 degrees.
The aircraft is just wiggling around.
I never had this problem before. The aircraft was always following the course no matter what.
I tried different aircraft: still the same, I changed the weather setup because I thought it might be wind: no success, in the end I installed FS9 new, but I still have the same problem. Maybe it has anything to do with the PC!?? Cannot imagine...
I don't know what to do anymore, when even a new installation does not help...

Does anyone knows something about this phenomen?
I hope anyone can give me a hint, to solve this problem.

Cheers Tom
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: jumping compass

Post by clickclickdoh »

Try disabling your joystick and see if the problem goes away. I had the twist sensor go out in one of mine and it was generating random rudder inputs that caused a similar sounding problem.
Nigel
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Nigel »

Hi I agree with the sensor, but had a similar problem on the Level D 767 recently in flight. Turned out to be the magdec.bgl file had some how been corrupted. Copy the original and overwrite it in the programme, it is in Scenery/Base/Scenery.

Nigel
TH7448
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TH7448 »

Hello guys,
thanks for your replys! The joystick is working fine and disabling the joystick doesn't solve the problem. I will follow Nigels hint with the magdec.bgl on the weekend and I will let you know about the result.

Thanks for now,

Regards Tom
SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by SeanG »

Or update your MagDec and global NAVAIDS by visiting:
http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids2.html

SeanG
TH7448
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TH7448 »

Hello Guys,

sorry for the delay, but during the holyday season I could not work on FS9 as I wanted to.
But now I got everything in order and tested.
Unfortunately non of your hint's realy helped, so I cannot confirm any of them as ultimate solution for this kind of failure...
I had to reinstall Windows and FS9 until I've got the final result.

But thank's again for sharing your hint's with me, I really appreciate it!!

Cheers Tom
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

I had a similar problem with compass headings going to True headings.

I trolled the web and found out that every time someone makes a scenery and changes the magnetic variation for the afcad then it begins to affect the magnetic declination in the sim.

There have been updated files posted for magdec.bgl at Avsim if I remember correctly.

The solution.

Create a new folder for scenery. Place the magdec.bgl in the scenery folder.

Load this scenery above your Addon scenery. Top of the list in the library. Therefore it will load last. If you open the scenery .cfg it must have the largest number under "Layer=xxx".

I have not had a problem since.

John