The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

HF Transmissions.

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
col1948
Major
Major
Version: FS9

HF Transmissions.

Post by col1948 »

A little story of when I used to listen to the Oceanic HF, this is going back many years, I had a shortwave radio that had lower and upper sideband.
I had a few different types of aerials, and one was a long wire stretching outside round the garden and up a tree on a pulley so if the tree swayed the wire didn't snap.
Any way, a lot of times the pilot used to say after a transmission, "Roger Roger," well I worked at Manchester airport and was using the company radio everyday, I picked up the habit of saying, "Roger Roger."

Then one day one of the mangers called me in to his office and said, "Why do you say Roger Roger when once is enough?"
I told him I picked it up from listening to the aircraft on shortwave radio, he said, "Well I've never heard it."
I replied, "Oh do you listen to HF as well?" He said, "What is HF?" I said, "On the shortwave when the aircraft cross the ocean, ATC call their Cell and then communicate," he said, "I don't listen to shortwave radio, I have only heard then on our radios."
"Ah, that is VHF and it slightly different, in fact a lot different."
I could see he was annoyed because I knew something he didn't, he then said, "Well in future just say Roger once not twice."
As I was leaving I couldn't resist, I said, "Yes you are right, it is a waste of a Roger, I could use the second one in my next transmission."
He gave me a dirty look as I left, whenever he was on duty the same time as me I used to say on the radio, "ROGEEEER," I extended it but I was only saying it once lol, I'm sure it annoyed him.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: HF Transmissions.

Post by VulcanDriver »

Excellent :) I once new a police constable called Constable, in court the magistrate or judge would get very annoyed when he said his name as Constable Constable! Usual the reply "But what is your name Constable" to which he replied "Yes". He was later told to say PC Constable!!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy