The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

BREXIT

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: BREXIT

Post by Firebird »

Very true. It has to be said that the result has been accepted across the board by Remain MPs.
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

MP's always vote for their own self-interest. The threat of loosing their jobs sometimes keep them honest but they only
take note of the electorate when their own future is at stake.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I would agree.

On a related issue, I have been watching the pandemonium in the Labour Party today. The Labour MPs obviously didn't want their leader in the first place but their members overwhelmingly voted him as leader. The MPs are now trying to force him out as they think that the Torys will call a quick general election to take advantage of the fact that the Labour leader is regarded as unelectable.
The one key thing missing is that IF they were successful and IF there was an election and IF they were to win then the Labour leader would have to lead and manage the withdrawal. Fine, but none of the big name Labour MPs were for leaving so how could they claim to be PM and lead the country in this?

Remarkable. It does seem that they haven't got an ounce of common sense between them.

Apologies to all the non-Brits but it is a historic event and I just find it all fascinating.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I agree with Steve. It feels like the break up of the Soviet Union or even Yugoslavia to me. Doesn't feel like the country I grew up in anymore.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You must have the luxury of being younger than myself. I can remember the Pre-EEC days when you had to have a passport to go to France for the day. I even remember the days of £sd.

I hadn't thought of it until you guys mentioned it but the small number of times that I have gone to EU countries in recent times, Germany, France, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic I have had to carry my passport as identification at the airports. Is it currently different if you drive? Is it purely an airport thing?
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Seems that airlines can insist on a passport or valid photo id, EasyJet, RyanAir and FlyBe do at our local airport.They say its an anti-terrorist requirement.

Steve I'm 63 mate, what I mean we were always united as a people but now it feels our society is splintering. We need a strong leader to unite Britain again but I cant see any on the horizon. As the Chinese say "may you live in interesting times", however its a curse! But my Chinese friends say it was made up by an Englishman in 1939.

I lived in Greece in the 70s after the fall of the Colonels with my then GF. We decided to drive :( Seemed a good idea at the time. All those border crossings and don't get me started about entering the Eastern Bloc! The Greek Customs were bastards (no offence to the Greeks as most were lovely, friendly people). They held our Passports when we left to return to the UK and demanded payment. We gave them our remaining drachma and they let us leave!!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Wow, John.
That experience you had in Greece is exactly the same that I hear about being common place in Africa and Mexico, from people I work with and know. They stop you getting in unless you pay and then they won't let you leave unless you pay.

Unsurprisingly it makes me not want to go to those places.

On the splintering of our society. I would agree with you. I think that if you look back it happened a long, long time ago. It just might be more obvious now.
A small example is what I saw first hand was at the 1966 World Cup final everybody was waiving Union Jacks, I don't think I saw more than 2 or 3 England flags, I even had to ask my Father what they were. These days how many Union Jacks do you see at England games?

Attitudes in our society have changed an awful lot as well and most of them not for the better. My Father used to blame the abolition of National Service. I am not convinced that he is right though.

These days when something goes wrong the individuals blame some organization or the Government and want compensation as it wasn't their fault. Back in the day it was regarded as your fault for not taking proper care. People don't take responsibility any more. They want the Government to take care of everything and then moan that Big Brother is intruding upon their lives.
Steve