The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

What made me leave FSX

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
col1948
Major
Major
Version: FS9

What made me leave FSX

Post by col1948 »

I have FSX Gold Edition, I had it installed at one point and was slowly getting in to it, a new learning curve. I tend to tweak a bit and not sure what I did but FSX started to go wrong, I tried to iron out the fault/s searching on various forums and trying this and that etc only to make things even worse.
So in the end I took it off the PC, but then I found bits of it scattered in different parts of the PC in folders, some had a few files relating to FSX, I was deleting them for ages, when I went on a forum about it someone said it is very unlike FS9 and it does scatter files everywhere.
I keep wanting to install it again for another try but this keeps coming to mind and stops me, I would like to install it on an external drive but from what I can make out all it's files won't just be on that drive it will still scatter files on my main hard drive unless someone can advise a solution.
SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Re: What made me leave FSX

Post by SeanG »

FSX really only puts files in a few places, and only one more than FS9 really.
Apart from your "main" FSX folder, there are:
Configs and the like in your Appdata\Roaming\...FSX folder (same as for FS9)
Scenery config and caches in ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (this is new, FS9 had them in the main FS9 folder)
My Documents has your saved flights and flightplans (just like FS9)

Really the only difference is the addition of the "ProgramData" folder, the rest are similar to FS9 :)

And this from an FS9 fan :-0

SeanG
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Sean, Hmm I may have uninstalled it wrong or something but I kept finding files referring to it after I took it off, I too am more of a FS9 fan, the only thing making think of having FSX back is the amount of newer stuff is mainly for FSX, again may be it is me wanting too much lol.
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I have since read it isn't advisable to load FSX on an external HD as it would be very sluggish, it was just a thought.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

I bought an extra SSD just for my sims and a few other games. Makes loading much, much faster and they're not as expensive now as they used to be.

No idea why your FSX files are scattered everywhere as it only installs where Sean said. Maybe you're referring to third party addons?
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

You could right Greg, I was finding files with FSX attached so I was just deleting them but thinking they were part of the actual sim.