The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Windows 10 rumour or not?

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
col1948
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Windows 10 rumour or not?

Post by col1948 »

I was on another forum, nothing to do with FS and there was a thread on there where a guy said he had read that Microsoft are thinking of charging a monthly subscription for Windows 10.
This is for updates and to keep it running, now if the individual user decides not to use it I doubt they will be worried but think of all the businesses that are using it and need it.

Now at the thread heading says this is only what I read it may be a rumour but the figure mentioned was £7 a month.
I have Windows 7 and I'm sticking with it for as long as I can.

Anyone else heard this?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Windows 10 rumour or not?

Post by John Young »

It looks like a distinct possibility, at least for Enterprise versions:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3094785/ ... prise.html

John
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I'm no techie but I have read where some have had W10 installed by itself and it did it overnight, I was thinking if this was those that leave the PC on 24/7 and/or have it set for auto updates?
I believe there is a facility in Windows something like 'Wake up Lan' obviously this on networking machines but this may also be a culprit I don't know.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Windows 10 updates have changed slightly under Redstone. Under 7/8 you could have then notified and installed if you want. Under 10 you get them automatically but you could set it to schedule a time/date so you could delay for a long time to see if there are any problems, very useful.
Under Redstone that option has been taken away. It now gives you the option of installing now or later. If you select later it will automatically install them outside of core time which is set to 09:00 and 17:00 but you can alter. So if you are working at 17:10 it will install automatically if you are not active on the PC.
I tried to alter the core time to 24hrs but they thought of that and you can only set up 12 hrs.

I have heard of a registry entry that supposedly gives you option back to stop the automatic install but i can't confirm whether it works or not yet. I have had it auto install on me a few times since Redstone but there has not been a base install requiring a reboot since I applied the patch.

The monthly pay thing is already available for O365. You no longer own the software you rent it.
Steve