The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows10 condemmed.

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
col1948
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Windows10 condemmed.

Post by col1948 »

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Windows10 condemmed.

Post by Firebird »

I can't see anything coming of it. I think the most that will come out of it will be that MS will say that they learned from the experience and won't make the same mistake again.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I think you are right Steve, they will make some double meaning excuse, in other words fob you off.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

The problem being that Ms never learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately there is little incentive for them to sort it out as there is no viable alternative for all those millions of users who are stuck with Windows based programs. If only we had a viable alternative.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Windows 10 version 1511 is not too bad.
The Anniversary Update version 1607 is a bloody nightmare.

Couple of things you should do....
Get ShutUp and stop almost all the data being sent to Microsoft - https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Stop version 1607 installing for the moment - http://www.infoworld.com/article/310582 ... -1607.html

Set your Internet connection to metered. (There is a 'hack' around so you can also do this on a wired connection)

I think they will eventually scale back on the whole snooping and forcing updates on people. There's enough noise from the business world that should cause them concern.
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I and I'm sure many more of you have seen in the past where MS have introduced a new version of Windows and certain programs stopped working but it wasn't long before either those programs and/or MS did updates and patches to rectify.

It now seems MS couldn't care less, they say they have a help line for people having problems of this nature but the times I've read where you either can't get through or it was a waste of time plus your phone bill as well.

As Peter above said there isn't a viable alternative, I am not familiar with MAC but I don't think there is a Windows compatibility mode in there that lets you use MS programs or if there is I'm not sure how good it is.

I can go back to the version 3.1 on a 286 machine and since then I've had almost every version of Windows, I think Windows ME was fairly stable at the time, Windows XP I think was the best I've had, now I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate and I'm sticking with it for as long as possible.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have got the Redstone update (1607 version 14393.187) and got no problems with it.
It seems that the people that had the problem are the ones that moved the default folders , like My Documents, My Downloads , My Pictures etc.
Why exactly that should cause a problem i have no idea but seemingly it did. There was a fix that came out for that about a week after the initial Redstone release and there has been a couple of other version updates to fix issues.

I should say that I am not an MS fanboy. If I had my way the Amiga would still be the king of PCs.
There are some annoying things like the whole look of 10 (give me back the Aero Glass of 7) but my Redstone upgrade using the MediaCreationTool actually solved a big bugbear of mine - search. The whole reboot after your core hours thing for an update is bl**dy annoying but there is a patch that at least stays that and yet can set the time days in advance, it does work I found out 2 days ago, but when you next reboot or power down your PC it will auto-install then.

The best thing about 10 is that when you upgrade to a new build it does take a complete copy of your system files before making the updates which means that it is a doddle to back it out if you get problems - albeit within 10 days of upgrading.
It is something they should have done years ago.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I remember talking to an electronics guy at work one time and I said, "It would be nice if Windows installed in a folder/place and just ran the PC and it didn't have to go all over and place hidden files here and there etc."
He said that years ago Tandy had a PC that had it's own PC engine so to speak and it did exactly that, it was kind of locked away and couldn't be messed about with.
Course I know that upgrades and patches couldn't be installed if you couldn't get to it but the idea was there.
So in other words no matter what program you put on the PC engine was untouched, it just ran the PC, I never heard of this so forgive me if I'm wrong I'm just going off what he said.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It sounds very similar to the Amiga way of doing things. It booted off of chips and looked in specific folders for specific items. If it didn't find them then something didn't work but at least the PC was up and running.
The Amiga startup sequence was a series of commands in a text file, very similar to Linux.
The registry is a complete overhaul of the Amiga idea where parms were kept in a folder in text based format each proggy had its own file so it was easy to recover if a corruption occurred.
The other idea was that on startup it loaded all the parms from disk into memory and searched there first. If you changed a parm it only changed it in memory so if the worst came to the worst you just rebooted. Why MS took the concept and turned into this secretive nightmare of a mess called the registry is beyond me.

Wonderful thing this progress.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I did try Linux last year on a laptop, I couldn't get my head round it, probably my age lol. I got stuck on something and went on a forum to ask and some guy ridiculed me, I fought back and the forum admin came on and told the guy off and appologised to to me, even so after that I gave up on it.
My grandson has an Xbox and I've seen some of the games he plays, really good graphics and speed etc, I often wondered if or why there wasn't a Flight Sim for it, and/or an emulator that lets you use MS games and programs.
I know we would need a keyboard but with todays technology I'm sure that could be done.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

As a retired UNIX administrator I hate MS operating systems and in fact if it wasn't for FS and associated programmes I'd use Linux.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy