The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

10 years of FSX...but FS9 is still there ;-)

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

10 years of FSX...but FS9 is still there ;-)

Post by TheFoufure »

FSX was published in october 2006...10 years ago.

Happy birthday FSX... but FS9 is still there, and used by a lot of Flight simmers.
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: 10 years of FSX...but FS9 is still there ;-)

Post by awj112 »

Well said.
raclim
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by raclim »

I wonder what the main motivation is for people to still use FS9. After having flown in FS9 for a couple of years I switched to FSX somewhere in 2008 I believe and I have never thought of going back to FS9.

Ofcourse in the first couple of years a lot of addons weren't available for FSX, so it was understandable that some people sticked to FS9. But in current times basically everything is available for FSX, so why do people still keep using FS9?

Maybe a FS9 user can answer my question :)
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

To be honest for me it was the fact that I had so many addons done for FS9 that I didn't want to convert/buy replacements to go to FSX (I also didn't like/get on with the amended key settings).

I waited for FS11.

When FS11 was cancelled I asked myself what was the point of converting from one officially unsupported FS for another.

It was that simple for me.
Steve
maiden757
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by maiden757 »

I use it primarily because A) I paint for it :-) and B) I didn't like the fact I'd have needed to buy a new PC just to run a sim. That's a joke in anyones language. I now have the Steam edition and apparently my repaints work in it (if the models do) but when it comes to the flight model as I couldn't find much difference in the flying itself which is the main reason for having it in the first place I stayed put. Also I've spent an awful lot of money on 04 which I'd have to start doing all over again which is pretty much the main reason I haven't bothered. Yes it's got all the pretty shadowing etc etc but that's not enough to make me stop using 9.
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I have FSX Gold and PSD on disk, I did install FSX at one point but I was so used to FS9 and how it worked I wanted FSX to be the same but it wasn't, after a few glitches, mainly my doing, I took it off and stayed on FS9.
I've had glitches in FS9 but always managed to find a solution, I will admit it wasn't long ago I got my scenery screwed up and after numerous attempts to put it right I took FS9 off and started again, but I had my aircraft and other things backed up so soon had it running normal again.
I admit there are a few things I would like to be in the sim but they will never happen but I like it any way.

Slightly related to the topic I had another sim I was running and that too was comparable to FS9 in so far as much of ease of use and easy to mod, then the software company made another version but it wasn't the same, I did try it but again in the end it wasn't an improvement in my eyes and it came off my PC.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I waited on the switch to FSX, as I now wait on the switch to P3D (mostly cpu driven). I don't understand why I still see FS98/2k models, scenery, and textures showing up on the download sites. I have flightsims on my iPad that far exceed the "good old" ones.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Well I have stayed with FS9 because I don't really want to start over from scratch finding and installing the FSX version of all the scenery I have. Plus I don't want to go through the trouble of reinstalling all my AI and switching all my AI textures from BMP to DDS. That would take weeks to do! One day I will make the switch (to P3D), but that day is not now.

With all the addons I have and all the tweeks that are out there FS9 still looks real good.