The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Possible new project ?

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
kenlivia
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Possible new project ?

Post by kenlivia »

Hello All, For many ,many months now have been trying to find a new copy of MS.FSX /DeLux/Gold. I know that FSX is not too accepted here BUT, I smell a golden opportunity and niche in the Flightsim Retail World . Thinking that with all the available great talent at present in MAIW-ACG, that was, UKMIL and The Owls Nest, a combined group could come up with a small company and manufacture a Flight Simulation Prog that would be acceptable to all users, and compatible with all the present associated scenery, ac,s and other stock items. Thinking the programme to be a simple makeup of world scenery to which enthusiasts could install then tailor to their own requirements, ie adding scenery and aircraft to whichever er'a their particular interests lie. With the millions of flightsim users round the world, i feel there is a genuine market available for such a flightsim scenery programme that will be unique in its application.
Hoping i have sown a seed here with the possibilities of such a , start up, payable download, which could also be retailed as a cd unit.
The steam editions from Dovetail certainly are not compatible to all the software presently available and it appears there is no other retailed available Flightsim that likewise our present software situation can be applied.
Regards to all, Ken R.Gardner ( kenlivia )
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: Possible new project ?

Post by Jive1 »

Brillant idea!
Keep FS9 software usable!
Jive1 - Belgium
Windows 10 Home NLD 64bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1024MB 1920 x 1080 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
C:\ NTFS 120,12GB 95,81GB 8 170MB
Redbull AV and Redbull Firewall
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by f4nutter »

There is "Flight Simulation Prog's that would be acceptable to all users " they are called FS9 & FSX ! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks for the vote of confidence in our abilities, but it's a tad optimistic I think.

Even if we had the knowhow to program all the internal workings of the UI and AI simulator engines, including weather, it would take years to do. It would have to be based on the Microsoft core code or all the present freeware offerings wouldn't work and that would entail licencing from Microsoft. It would need to be better than FS9/FSX and P3D put together and be capable of accepting any current SCASM and XML add-ons no matter what code they were written in. Not even Lockheed Martin can do that and there was probably a good reason why Microsoft didn't want to do it anymore.

Even if it were possible, given the number of years required to do it, the platform it would be initially designed for, would certainly change and could be redundant before completion.

The income would need to exceed the development costs, including licencing. There is no way to reliably estimate any of this and formulate a realistic business plan and risk assessment.

I can think of better ways to enjoy my retirement.

John
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

I believe FS9 & FSX will live on for a good while yet no matter how old the tech is behind it, there is so much available for it at this present time and ive not really had any problems running FS9 based files inside of FSX, As John says the amount of work involved in a whole new sim would be expensive & time consuming, i think most of us developers/painters/designers etc would have no interest knowing the extent of such a project, in theory yes it would be great! if you can find those people who will do it!

Dovetail will bring out their new sim on the 18th of this month and i would like to ask if anyone is seeking in to purchasing it? and your opinions from what you have heard so far about it! i know ive said FS9 & FSX have a good few years left in them yet, BUT is it time to move on and take advantage of new tech?

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Tranquil wrote: 13 May 2017, 16:35 I believe FS9 & FSX will live on for a good while yet no matter how old the tech is behind it, there is so much available for it at this present time and ive not really had any problems running FS9 based files inside of FSX, As John says the amount of work involved in a whole new sim would be expensive & time consuming, i think most of us developers/painters/designers etc would have no interest knowing the extent of such a project, in theory yes it would be great! if you can find those people who will do it!

Dovetail will bring out their new sim on the 18th of this month and i would like to ask if anyone is seeking in to purchasing it? and your opinions from what you have heard so far about it! i know ive said FS9 & FSX have a good few years left in them yet, BUT is it time to move on and take advantage of new tech?

Much thanks

Mark
Mark,

What DTG is bringing out on May 18th is what they call an "Early Access" version of their new 64 bit Flight Simulator World (FSW), which appears to me to be a basic early beta package. The biggest thing it has going for it is that since it is a 64 bit flight simulator it should eliminate FSX's "Out Of Memory" (OOM) crashes and potentially be much smoother.

Unfortunately DTG has announced that FSW will not be backward compatible with current FSX addons, so it will just contain what DTG and their group of supporting addon designers design for it.

I for one would not buy it, as I shy away from paying to be a beta tester for anyone. However, since I did buy a cheap early release version of DTG's 32 bit Flight School out of curiosity, they are providing me a free copy of the "Early Access" version of FSW and I will check it out and see how much they have achieved and how much smoother a 64 bit flight simulator might be.
    Mike M.
    Tranquil
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer
    Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

Have you tried it yet Mike, came out today! lots of very annoyed people who have bought it already! bad reviews, i know its an early access, but they are saying it has worse performance than fsx....

Much thanks

Mark
    Image Image
    The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Tranquil wrote: 18 May 2017, 19:22 Have you tried it yet Mike, came out today! lots of very annoyed people who have bought it already! bad reviews, i know its an early access, but they are saying it has worse performance than fsx....

Much thanks

Mark
    Mark,

I got an email today saying that my free copy is in my Steam Library, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. My guess is that many users are expecting way too much from what is essentially an alpha/beta version of a new flight simulator. There also seem to be some users that really don't trust DTG and really want to see FSW fail.
      Mike M.