The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Lack of speed ?

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Philco3

Lack of speed ?

Post by Philco3 »

Hi, sorry but it's me again, since my computer has been worked on I find when taking off from an airport my aircraft don't seem to have as much power as they used too, I find I need a longer runway, my settings for take off are the same as I have always used.
Sounds crazy, but I can't work this one out.

Just a note to fellow flight simmers, I used to get a warning coming up on my computer, ( CNKDSK- NTFS ) and I was told that my hard drive needed replacing, so, I did as the experts told me,with my nice new hard drive I started moving my files from the old drive to the new one, last night I got the warning coming up again, so all the money I paid this so called expert was a wast of time.
What I should of done was go onto the MAIW forum at first,as they have given me so much help on getting my flightsim working again.

Kind regards,

Phil J.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Lack of speed ?

Post by Firebird »

OK.

First off I will ask you how many volumes you have on your system. I am guessing you have one disk with one volume - the C: disk.
Is this is correct?

If it is then there is a command that you can run to correct the error. The thing that I have is that if you have a new disk and you have only copied files across and not restored them using a backup facility then you have some hardware issue that it causing write problems to your hard disk.

Now to run chkdsk is quite simple.
Step 1
In XP, click on the "Start Menu" then on "Run" and press "Enter."

Step 2
Type "cmd" and click "OK" or "Enter." This will open a command prompt.

Step 3
Enter the following command: "chkdsk C: /f /r" (Do not type the quotes.)

(The above command assumes the drive letter is C:, if the drive letter is, for example, G, then the command would be: "chkdsk G: /f /r") The /f and /r options are a bit of an overkill as /r (replace bad sectors) implies that /f (fix) is also used. However it is not bad to force it to replace the bad sectors as if it keeps happening on a new hard drive then either it is a faulty HD or some other hardware issues is causing write problems as I stated earlier.

If you have more than one volume then you can enter the command as many times as you have volumes and replace the C: with whichever letter is appropriate.

Now if the volume being checked is the one you booted from it will ask you if you want to do the check next time you reboot. Answer 'Y' and then reboot. It will do the check and fix before it loads windows.
If the volume being checked is not the boot volume then it check then but it will crop all open threads and processes from that volume. So it will not be usable until it finishes.

Watch the output when it runs and see if finds any errors and fixes them.

---===(*)===---

Now on the power front is it jets or props or both that you have a problem with, and do you have a throttle controller?
Steve
Philco3

Post by Philco3 »

Hi Steve, Yes I only have one. It looks like props and jets. I am using sidewinder joy stick with throttle control.

Phil.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It sounds like maybe it has not been calibrated again since your new HD was installed, would this be correct?

How the chkdsk go?
Steve
Philco3

Post by Philco3 »

"OK" on the CHKDSK front, it deleted a few files, that it said was bad.
When I got this warning in the beginning when I was told it was a bad thing, and I should change the hard drive, it was only the computer telling me that something was wrong, have I got that right Steve, if so I didn't see that one coming.

No, I haven't calibrated the system since I had the new hard drive installed.

Phil.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yeah, chkdsk is always the first thing to do and sometimes after a particularly bad happening the system will run one it itself, like after a power failure if something is running on the PC that is updating. The fact that it found and fixed some things is a good thing.
If it was that 'computer expert' that told you that I do think that you got scammed by him big time.

It sounds like you are OK. The thing to look for is if it keeps happening. I am not talking once or twice a year, I am talking more than once a month.

I had a HD go south on me earlier this year and it was noticeable. I had several volumes on the one drive and each one automatically ran chkdsk on each start. In that case time to make sure of that backup and buy a new drive.

OK when you install a new drive or upgrade the OS you will always need to update somethings. Like joystick calibration. As an example last week when I updated my Win 10 to the latest release I did not change my graphics drivers but it still lost my nvidia inspector updates to get rid of the jaggies in FS, so I had to re-apply it.
It maybe that a simple recalibration will fix your problem. I am basing this on the fact of the HD change which means that the calibration would be lost plus the fact that the problem occurs for both jets and props using the throttle control. It points to the same thing being the cause.
Steve
Philco3

Post by Philco3 »

Thanks Steve, once again you have come to my aid, I just wished I had gone on the forum before I got this chap in.
Calibration completed, used an A320 from Southend all looks good.

Many thanks,
Phil.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

So another problem solved. Excellent.
Steve
Philco3

Post by Philco3 »

Sorry Steve,I calibrated the joy stick,but switched on this morning, low power again, will the version of FSUIPC have an effect, reading an old manual I found, it said I should have version 3.9.9.9 if I need this where would I get it from, as the ones I found on the internet are manly for FSX.
After my aircraft eventually lift off, I have no problem with climb power or cruising speed, it just that they need a lot of runway to reach v1, v2.
Phil.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You can get the FS9 version from his website at http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

I don't know if that version will fix the issue you have but try it anyway.

If that doesn't work try to calibrate again to see if that makes a difference. I don't know why you should lose it by switching off and on but it would be worth checking. If it has lost it then that is the next thing to work on.
Steve
Philco3

Post by Philco3 »

Thank you, Steve.

Phil.