The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Watching helicopters

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Watching helicopters

Post by Jive1 »

Hey!
Why don't helicopters show when I try to watch them and follow? I don't see the helicopter themselves, but only the landing gear...
Is there a way to modify the view to see the helicopter entirely? I have as an exawple the SeaKings of UK en Belgium; I only can see the landing gear....
Jive1 - Belgium
Windows 10 Home NLD 64bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1024MB 1920 x 1080 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
C:\ NTFS 120,12GB 95,81GB 8 170MB
Redbull AV and Redbull Firewall
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Watching helicopters

Post by John Young »

You can't see the helicopters with an animated lift built into the model in a traffic view window after they have lifted off, because the model is 50 -100ft above the centre of the view point at that time. It's just a downside of having the vertical lift. Try zooming right out, or you can follow them in a user aircraft of course.

John
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Jive1 »

Hey! John,
Thanks for the information.
Isn't there nothing that can be doneto be able to view and watch the helicopter entirely? If nothing can be done, I don't understand Why the choppers are made like that. Just to see it lift off? Very poor reason, I personally think.
Jive1 - Belgium
Windows 10 Home NLD 64bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1024MB 1920 x 1080 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
C:\ NTFS 120,12GB 95,81GB 8 170MB
Redbull AV and Redbull Firewall
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

In order to generate vertical lift for helicopter models, the modeler is essentially tricking FS9. When the vertical lift animation happens on take off, the aircraft model hasn't actually gone anywhere, a collection of the models parts have just been told to move upwards as a part animation, like a landing gear retracting. So, it appears that the helicopter is vertically taking off. Then the "flying" helicopter goes down the runway, gathers speed and takes off like FS9 thinks any decent aircraft should.

I use a program called FS Recorder. It allows you to move the camera about. Helicopter lift isn't a problem anymore.