The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Coronavirus/Covid-19 How are you doing?

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

So much fear being spread, some justified, most not justified.

As this site has always been an international site, I'm curious to hear how everyone is fairing through all of this??

So far doing OK here in Northern Ohio, first 3 confirmed cases in this area as of yesterday. Many universities in the USA are now shutting down and going to online only instruction for the foreseeable future. Many public events being cancelled for no legitimate reason other than out of an extreme abundance of caution.

It's only getting started here in the USA.....

How's your area doing?
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
jetrange
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Re: Coronavirus/Covid-19 How are you doing?

Post by jetrange »

Don't worry too much about it. The media, as usual, are blowing this whole thing out of proportion. Symptoms of Coronavirus are similar to the flu, and it's really only life threatening to people with weak immunity systems, so many people can get through it. But still, be cautious around other people and always, ALWAYS, wash your hands.
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

Well we had booked our holidays for next month....

Seoul for 4 days, Tokyo for 4 days, and Taipei for 4 days.
Thats all gone now, luckily we have got full refunds for the flights, and all but 1 of the hotels have refunded. Should still get the last refund back...eventually.

Thought next year we might try Somalia, Palestine, and N. Korea!

Don't think the Aussie government has gone far enough with travel restrictions.

57 this year, but play soccer twice a week, and gave up smoking 5 years ago, so not too worried.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm confused about the figures. I think the total declared infections in each country is the running total of all those that have been infected since day 1. I think they include those that have recovered and those that have died. Is that right?

John
lucame
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by lucame »

Hi everibody,

the best way, I think, about the development of the disease is to follow the CSSE of the John Hopkins University.

The give real-time updating of the situation about confirmed, deaths ann recovered, and this worldwide.

Greetings from Switzerland.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

JY, you are correct about the infections. It is done that way purely because everybody that has come into contact with it, and obviously survived, has developed an immunity.
The greater the number of people that have had it the less danger there is to others, purely as they no longer become carriers - as far as is known. It sounds a bit perverse but it is the case.

Now in the UK, apart from the complete lack of a comprehensive checks on immigration - and I understand the logistics and cost involved there - there is one glaring preventative measure that should be in place before it is able to go mental.
All football games - especially premier League games - should be played behind closed doors for a month.
You can't have thousands of people criss-crossing the country by car and train every weekend and expect to keep a lid on it. Train stations and Service stations will automaticically become onward transmission points.
Absolutely ludicrous.

I understand that it is a different thing for non-PL teams. The PL clubs get most of their money from TV - not gates. Outside the PL it is a different thing and they would have to look at whether or not a temporary hold would be best for them.

In the vast majority of cases it is not the athletes themselves at risk, it is their elderly relatives.
As an example the UK Health Secretary has it, she will be fine but her 84 year old mother - that lives with her - has now apparently developed a cough. Maybe that is all it is but unnecessary risks should not be taken.

Healthy people assume they will be alright and will continue on as normal, and they probably all will be. It is the higher risk people that they come into contact with that should be the concern.

I understand that most things in life can be seen as a risk decision. The trouble is that those taking the decisions to go and watch, for example, QPR this weekend are probably not the ones taking the risk.
Steve
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Hello all from Italy, the most infected country after China. :cry:

Guys, please, do not underestimate the situation.

First confirmed case in Italy was decleared on 21st February.
The city where live the first man infected, and other ten small cities in the nearby, for a total of 60.000 citizen circa, was immediatly declared "red zone". No one can enter or exit from the red zone and the population must stay at their home.

Nevertheless, the official data of Yesterday, for all the italian territory say:

10.149 infected
631 dead
1.004 completely recovered

All this, in only 19 days. Mortality is 6.21%.
THIS IS NOT A NORMAL FLU!!!
It is also true that more or less 85% of person dead, was more then 75 older, many of them with previous health problem.

Due to the high and increasing number of people infected, since Monday, all Italy has been declared "red zone"
This is the third week I work from home. Hope that this will finish soon.

Let me repeat once again.
Do not underestimate the situation. Wash your hands often, stay at more then one meter distant from other if you go out, and if you can, STAY AT HOME.
Avoid as much as possible contacts with other.

Regards, Giorgio
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

New data released at 18:00 11 March

Infected 12.462
Dead 827
Recovered 1.045
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

You cannot help it, Giorgio. Every country seems to have to go through exactly the same cycle of more or less ignoring the situation, becoming aware, starting to get concerned and then going into panic mode.

Many of your fellow countrymen work in Ticino, and we are therefore very much aware of the situation in Northern Italy.

And things still change on a daily base. Germany is only now starting to close down public events on a regional scale.

Today companies in the south of Germany have started to send French workers back home, since the departments in Elsass have basically followed the example of North Italy and have shutdown public life.

This whole thing is not in control.
Cheers,
Martin
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

All good here in SW Kentucky at moment. Wife is a RN at a hospital in this area and my boss's sister is an RN as well in Maryland. The hospitals are all converting as much admin space as they can into extra ICU wards, preparing for the worst to happen within the next 10 to 14 days.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

#flattenthecurve and #canceleverthing are trending right now for good reasons.

The only way to have the first one is to do the second one....
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is exactly the point, Mike. It is about limiting human contact until the threat is reduced.

There is a rumour that the PL is belatedly going to finish the season behind closed doors.

The thing that I don't get is that 2-3 days after Trump says that is is business as usual he has now instigated a travel ban from numerous countries but Americans can still travel home from those places. This is exactly how it got in there in the first place.
Either he still doesn't get it or the people that are advising him still don't get it.

I understand that politicians ultimately answer to the people but there are times when people have to make and take decisions for the greater good.
Steve
msm8378
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

IMHO...Trump is more worried about the economy than anything else. Granted this is a concern and deserves attention, but not at the expense of individual lives of the citizenry.

I have several family members who work at hospitals in different parts of the US. One is an RN (Wife) and another is an Administrator (Sister). Both tell me that there is nothing the healthcare system can do to stop what is happening or what is expected to happen in the near future. It comes down to the number of hospital beds available and advanced life support equipment available. The healthcare system is begging for the political system to institute policies to give them room to slow the flow of patients as much as possible. If the system gets overwhelmed, like in Italy, then our system will go into "triage" mode, like in Italy, and families and doctors will be forced to make extreme decisions as to who are the best candidates for the limited advanced life support resources that will be available at that point.

From what I understand, Northern Italy has some of the best hospitals in the country and they are completely overwhelmed and in complete triage mode at the moment. So, even the best healthcare facilities only contain so many resources.

That is, IMHO, where the real fear factor lies. The lack of believable transparency by US government officials is adding a lot to the crisis as well. This may be attributed to government bodies as a whole and by their very natures (egos, lack of individual professional and educational qualifications as elected officials, etc.).
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Belgium is now in Lockdown mode until april 3. All Schools closed. All Restaurants closed. All shops closed, except food and medics shops. Public transports always in service.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Having been to several countries in the period that C19 has been around, I'm probably at significant risk of contracting the disease. I'm coincidentally off work for the next two weeks, so I'll be spending my time riding my bike, playing my guitar, making some scenery and doing my garden. And wondering if I'll have a job by the end of the month!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

For some reason I am reminded of a 70s TV series called 'Survivors' where over 90% of the world's population was killed due to a virus spread by an international business man.

Can't think what made that come into my mind. :lol:

On the bright side at least all gatherings at football grounds is off for now. Finally.

The stupid thing was that when the Arsenal manager was confirmed as positive and the squad went in to lock down. Their game with Brighton was called off immediately. When the Chelsea team went into lock down due to one of their players being confirmed the match was not cancelled. The difference - the Chelsea game was on TV. Really people!
Steve
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

About football and all other sports, all must be stopped.
Look at the Champions League match of PSG.
Why play a match behind closed door, if you have thousand of supporter outside the stadium?

Stay safe!

Giorgio
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The way the government in the UK is talking, it seems that allowing a proportion of the population to get the disease (self isolating at home) and recover is a good thing because it creates "herd immunity" - a kind of firebreak against a potential second wave later in the year. The problem of course is that certain sections of the "herd" really shouldn't be exposed to the virus so we are expecting new measures to project the elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions at some point soon. This strategy is also aimed at flattening the peak in infections to spread the pressure on the Health Service which otherwise might not be able to cope with the worst case projections. That sounds plausible of course, so long as infected people know they are infected and stay at home.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

John, I think it's more an acceptance that the virus is in the population now, and that can't be reversed. It puts a relatively positive spin on it to hope that the immunity that will inevitably develop in those who contract and recover from the disease will allow much of society to function at a basic level, at least - while we incarcerate the seriously ill, and all try and hide away as much as possible, we still need people to deliver our food, dispose of our waste, and operate the basic services that we all need and rarely appreciate. The sooner some immunity is generated, the better. Fortunately (in this context) the disease seems to affect the young far less than us elders, so they can all stay at work while we relax at home! (That said, far from enjoying two weeks at home from today, I now have to work tomorrow!).
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I watched the UK Governments statement and basically the next stage lock down that they are talking about they are delaying for as long as possible for one reason alone.
It is a simple fact of life, apparently, that human beings do not like being constricted and restricted from what they want to do for more than two weeks or people get uppity and ignore restrictions and will go and do it anyway.
This must be a surprising revelation for the people of China and the like.

So the idea is to delay these measures until they are really, really needed so that they will be as successful as possible.

There is also the doomsday theory that maybe everybody should go out and get it now so that in a months time it will be a non-event. Those that would not survive, would not survive now. Get it over and done with. It is a kin to the effect that some parents will deliberately take their kids to play with somebody that has measles so that they become infected earlier in life rather than later when complications can occur.
I can see the cold logic behind that, and it would probably turn out to less impactful to economies, but I am not sure that everyone will be willing to risk elderly relatives that they are fond of.

I should add that I am not advocating that in case anyone thinks I am.
Steve