The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

fs9 or FSX on another drive?

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

fs9 or FSX on another drive?

Post by djnocturnal »

just picked up a new hard drive, and was curious if i could install either on a new drive without any issues or does it have to be on the same drive as the operating system?
GrahamS
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by GrahamS »

I have FS9 on my J drive and FSX on the K drive without issues.
Which way is up?
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Along these same lines, being very computer illiterate, can you install FS9 (or FSX for that matter) on an external harddrive? I do all of my computing on a notebook and I use a "MyBook" external drive to back up everything. I was wondering if my computer would run FS if it was installed on the external drive. (I guess I could try it myself but if anyone knows it would save me some time :) )

Thanks,
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by 6192 »

yes you can is the simple answer but make sure you have usb2.0 ports or you will see a massive decline in fps

cheers

dan h
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Thanks 6192 for the quick answer. However, I cannot determine if mine are 2.0. Device mgr lists 'Universal Serial bus' but it does not say what they are. Is ther any other way to tell? I also have 'Firewire' capability. Is that any faster?
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by KevinJarvis »

I too have FS9 on another drive.

I do believe that Firewire is at least 2.0. Try checking your USB properties in the device manager. That might tell you.
Kevin Jarvis

djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

well i got it all installed to my new E drive and so far it seems to be working a bit faster especially after a good defrag.

now my next question is how do you keep the ai planes from loading as flyable ac, i've heard this slows down fs.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well if its FS9 you are talking about then you can either manually edit a parm in the aircraft .air file, or you can use a tool BBQ Hide AI which will make the change for you when you select the file to change and will also create a backup for you.
Steve
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

how do you keep the ai planes from loading as flyable
Download AirEd from Avsim and follow the directions. It will make FS load faster but does not have any effect on frame rates I don't think.

@KevinJarvis:
Device mgr lists 'Universal Serial bus' but it does not say what they are. Is ther any other way to tell
:)

Thanks,
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

aerogator wrote:...I also have 'Firewire' capability. Is that any faster?
Just as an aside, firewire is a more efficient architecture. It will both read and write faster than USB 2.0.
--Chris
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

aerogator wrote:Download AirEd from Avsim and follow the directions. It will make FS load faster (...)
Not really. It will make the aircraft selection page load faster, but not the programme an sich.
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

aerogator wrote:
how do you keep the ai planes from loading as flyable
Download AirEd from Avsim and follow the directions. It will make FS load faster but does not have any effect on frame rates I don't think.

@KevinJarvis:
Device mgr lists 'Universal Serial bus' but it does not say what they are. Is ther any other way to tell
:)

Thanks,
thanks will give it a try!
Cianofranc
Captain
Captain

Post by Cianofranc »

TWO ON THE SAME DRIVE.
ALL OK.
CHEERS
LUCIANO
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

i had fsx & fs9 on my c drive but when i uninstalled fsx, it removed fs9 from the registry, had to point all my fs9 addons back to where fs9 was installed.