The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MAIW and the NFL

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

MAIW and the NFL

Post by nickblack423 »

I wanted to ask a question here. It appears to me that there is a bit of a connection between MAIW and American Football.

Especially from the UK guys. Myself Ian and Steve regularly talk about American Football, which is weird since we are brits, Now I see CrazyDunc is into NFL as well. I didnt know many other people at all who were into "Football" over here and low and behold 3 guys I regularly communicate with are also mad on it.
I always followed NFL when I was younger back in the days when it was on Channel 4 on a sunday evening, the snorting C4 logo and all that (class LOL) My dad was a Raiders fan...and I started following the Jets, dunno why I guess it was because of my love of aircraft.
I always wanted to play it at least once even...once in my life, to live that dream and the life Ive seen in films like Any Given Sunday, The Replacements and Varsity Blues. Anyway I found out there was a league in the UK, and enquired in late 2005. I joined the Oxford Saints for training in early (bloody cold) 2006, and trained as a Corner. I was selected to start as corner against the Bristol Aztecs (one of the best teams in the country and a full league above us at the time) and was bricking myself. But I loved it. I went on to play 5 full games in the season, gaining alot of injuries including almost going unconscious. Then I was posted to another unit 3 hours away...and then sent to Afghanistan and so I missed my teams season and their eventual winning of the Division 2 BritBowl. I was gutted. But my experiences showed that I was too small for football, and the risks of getting injured and ruining my career were too much. I sold my kit last year but kept my helmet as a keepsake and something to remind me of the few times I was able to live that dream and play. A lifelong dream and ambition lived and I wouldt change it for the world.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I got interested in American Football by accident, back in the days when the only sight of Gridiron on UK TV was the highlights of the Super Bowl on ITVs World of Sport.

The first one I saw was X, Cowboys v Steelers, and even though they lost I became a Cowboys fan, and no I didn't understand the game at the time. Like most I became hooked on Channel 4's Sunday evening highlights, and even tuned in to 873 AM on the medium wave to list to AFN Europe broadcast College games live on Saturdays and NFL games on Sundays, even though it always seemed to fade at the inopportune times to a screeching Spanish bloke commentating on La Liga games or very loud static. This is when I developed my allegiance to the 'Canes.

I got involved in the UK scene when I became the Stats guy for the London Ravens, and I met my missus there. As for the Cowboys, got to see my first game at Texas Stadium in 1990 and I have been every year since. For the last 6 seasons the missus and me have been season ticket holders, even though she is a Raiders fan.

I have seen many memorable games but the best one had to be when Emmitt Smith broke the NFL rushing record against the Seahawks in 2002.
Steve
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

I love football. Of course, I live in Texas where football is another way of life. I played for 6 years in middle/high school (hate to say it but looking back, I wasn't very good!). It is tons of fun. The NFL is the only thing I watch on television. Once football season ends, I go into this 8 month hibernation broken only by the draft.

Good times.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

Took me a while to really get into NFL football, but I did. One of my regrets is not playing in High School but, all well live and learn.

I'm from NY but I hate the Giants and the Jets, and for some unknown reason I'm an Atlanta Falcons fan. Why? I couldn't tell you. I've never lived in Georgia, never had any relatives or friends live in Georgia, I've never even been to Georgia outside of Atlant airport, twice lol. I like a good number of teams though, so here's my rank order with 1 being my fav lol

1) Atlanta Falcons
2) Philadelphia Eagles (my dad is originally from S. Jersey, and I have cousins who still live there and another set of cousins who live right outside of Philly)
3) New England Patriots
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

Some ones bee reading my blog :)

I got interested in NFL by chnace when i was looking for a rugby game saw NFL on and thought okay lets have a look, it was San Diego Chargers vs Someone :) lol normally now you can find me watching a game on sky sports or browsing the NFl website.

also, i spent £150 ($300) last week on 3 Jerseys - ProBowl AFC LaDainian Tomlinson - Pitsburg Steelers and of course San Diego Chargers !!!!

Theres a whoel group of us from my school who are planning to go to the a Superbowl and Probowl next year :)

Dunc
Regards,
Dunc
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

Theres a whoel group of us from my school who are planning to go to the a Superbowl and Probowl next year
if you wanna go to a superbowl you better buy em like, now!! :D
-Joe W.

CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

yup. we're going go in 2010 we reckon LOL have a good laugh.
Regards,
Dunc
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

How much money does your school have? best it start saving up now :lol: . Prices for 2007 game were $600 face value, for 2011 they are estimated to be around $900. At least you won't have to go to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl, that will save some money.

Me I will be going in 2011 to Cowboys Stadium, unless of course we get there earlier.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Lifelong and diehard Cincinnati Bengals fan here. And no it hasn't been easy, all the years of disappointment.

NFL is about the only thing I'll watch on TV any more. Baseball on occasion. I've been to one NFL game, I'll never go again. Much easier and better sitting at home or in a pub somewhere enjoying the game on TV.

Funny thing is that I played Soccer (the real Football) for 13 straight years growing up as a kid, sometimes three seasons a year.

But nothing beats a good NFL game, the SuperBowl this year was exceptionally good as far as SuperBowls go.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to get a ticket. Those tickets are given out to NFL folks and corporate sponsors. A small numner are lotteried to season ticket holders at the stadium.

See this article about this year's super bowl.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs0 ... id=3217487
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

LOL we can dream, we'll most likely end up going to a Dolphins, Ravens and Chargers game cos there are only 3 of us who want to go!!!

Dunc
Regards,
Dunc
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

@Dunc
See you at Wembley then, unless of course I am at the 'Boys that weekend.

@Mike
I wondered why you would want to cover your face in that helmet, now I know. Its cooler than a paper bag. :lol:
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Firebird wrote:@Mike
I wondered why you would want to cover your face in that helmet, now I know. Its cooler than a paper bag. :lol:
If that's British humor, I aint' gettin' it. :lol: :lol:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It'll grow on you :D .
Steve
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

Ok...I;m gonna chime in on this topic.

IMHO, last year was the best Super Bowl ever....why?

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS...thats why.

I've been a Colts fan even back to the time they were in Baltimore.
I'm a huge Johnny Unitas fan and of course Peyton Manning.
Probably the 2 best QB's by far.

Of course it helps that I'm from Indiana and when the moved to Indy I was in heaven. I used to live about 40 minutes from downtown Indy and my brother and I used to go to games when we could.

Indianapolis is a much under-rated city.
They deserve a Super Bowl and they will have a new stadium next year to show off to the selection comittee.

When the NFL isn't on, I'm a huge Nascar fan. Actually, all types of motor racing. I know I'm gonna catch heck from the Europeeans..but F1 stinks.
But this year was a bit better with Hamilton showing his stuff.

But I digress..... :roll:
Kevin Jarvis

Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

When the NFL isn't on, I'm a huge Nascar fan. Actually, all types of motor racing. I know I'm gonna catch heck from the Europeeans..but F1 stinks.
But this year was a bit better with Hamilton showing his stuff.
Lol. NASCAR - Non Athletic Sport Created Around Rednecks

And I mean that in the nicest way possible :D
-Joe W.

KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

Must be why you New Yorkers wanted a track up there so bad...bwaahahahahahaha.

I too mean that lovingly.
Kevin Jarvis

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Maybe but it was to park on, not to race on :wink: .
Steve
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by rocket_26_ »

Here we go lol

I started watching the NFL back in 89 when I was 8. In 1990 my dad became the GM of the local Youth Team in Lincoln and I started training from then. My dads team converted to a senior team in 1992 and they won a bowl game in 93 before folding in 94. Although I trained with these teams as a kid, I didnt play a game until 95 for Nottinghams youth team. I played 4 youth seasons from 95-98 with the Nottingham Caesars. I then moved up to the Caesars senior team in 99 and ive played 9 seasons so far. 5 with Notts and 4 with the Doncaster Mustangs. I have been to 4 semi finals and 2 bowls winning one. There were highlights of both of them on sky sports at the time. I have played WR most of my career and also have played QB and DB. I was a member of the GB squad both years I tried out. I am currently the Head Coach of the local uni team and am returning to the Caesars this week for my 10th season.

Ian
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

One thing that amazes me with most of these posts are how many Europeean people have gotten the NFL bug.

I'm happy to see that one of our national sports has such a following.

I only wish that America would adopt futbol(soccer) with such enthusiasm.

I was much too small to play football in school, but as a sports minded kid that ran all the time, I really think I would have enjoyed playing soccer.
Kevin Jarvis