The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

New hobby :-)

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

New hobby :-)

Post by sprocky »

As I have so many unpopulated airfields in my sim I started to look at those with google maps to see whats really there. It is interesting what I found in some places. Beside this search I was also looking at more popular air bases and airports. So I found the Janets at McCarran (at least I think I found them http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.092,- ... 115.165222), took a look at the aircraft graveyard in Tucson and other airfields.

Do you know of any other airfields you would say it is worth to take a look at?
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Well that certain area NW of Las Vegas that supposedly doesn't exist, but yet is clearly visible in the GE high res imagery, that's always good for a look.

Edwards in California is always interesting. Go NE from Edwards to Mojave, CA. Home of Burt Rutan, Space Ship One and company. But it's also home to an airliner graveyard. Amazing to see the millions of dollars worth of old airliners baking in the desert sun.

There's a whole cult following for people finding things via Google Earth. There's even GE scavanger hunts you can participate in.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

Lol, I've google mapped all major USAF installations haha.

I would say the Kennedy Space Center is worthy of a look, Patrick AFB is just South of that.

NAS Key West?

Norfolk Naval Yards/Langley AFB/Oceana NAS/Little Creek Amphibious Base?

THis list could be forever long :D
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

Dark Morelia
Captain
Captain

Post by Dark Morelia »

I've become a bit of an earth browser too lately, although using Google Earth, not Maps.
I still can't believe all those Raptors sit out in the open at Langley :shock:

The middle east is probably my favourite place to go base hunting at the moment, never know what ya gonna find !
Drew >>

nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Give Edwards a look. The sight of that huge compass in the dessert is amazing.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

I have seen those bigger base already. 8)

A nice place to look up for bases I did not know of before is wikipedia where many bases are listed and links to google maps or others are provided. I found an air base in Iraq (Al Taqaddum) where you can still see the destroyed aircrafts.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.3204, ... 204,43.601

Russian bases are still a glance worth while the Chinese or Japanese ones look kind of empty. :(
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

I'd like to add a word of caution when using Google Earth for projects. The images may be well out of date, having looked at the area around my home I found that it was from well over 5 years ago and the ones of RAF Shawbury are nearly 10 years old.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

CelticWarrior wrote:I'd like to add a word of caution when using Google Earth for projects. The images may be well out of date, having looked at the area around my home I found that it was from well over 5 years ago and the ones of RAF Shawbury are nearly 10 years old.
I know that because I build a house in 2003/2004 but google shows still an empty field. :(

Other places seem to be more recent. Termez, Uzbekistan for example shows the german C-160 only. Didnt the US use that place, too?
Jan