The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Edit Voicepack help

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Edit Voicepack help

Post by Victory103 »

Finally got this mod done, having heard it real world for the first time a few days ago (we rotorheads generally don't have to "line up and wait")
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
sr01
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by sr01 »

Victory103 wrote:Finally got this mod done, having heard it real world for the first time a few days ago (we rotorheads generally don't have to "line up and wait")
Even when you're flying IFR ??
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Most of our IFR training flights originate from an Army airfield familiar with helicopter operations, and I have to reposition from a helipad to the active runway for IFR departures. We can get present position departures or intersection departure, obviously as long as I am not doing a no kidding zero/zero take off.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

Can anyone confirm, when adding new vp's you have to do them one at a time??

Just tried to put all from the USAF transport packs in one go and nothing changed.

Many thanks.

DaveB
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Definitely not Dave.
You import them all at once, sort out any dupes that you may have, Save the changes and then Update Voicepack.
It sounds as though you might not have saved after the import.
Steve
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

Thanks Steve,

I think I know where I was going wrong, I was trying to open the individual mods instead of opening the file.

ooops

DaveB
Rob1961
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rob1961 »

Hello Everyone,

I can't seem to get Edit Voicepack 3.1 to do hardly anything! I still get only numbers after trying all of the advice I read. I'm just about at wits end here. I tried Updating, then Importing, then Upadting (again), then Saving, each mod one at a time. Nothing! Then I tried Firebird's advice (Mar 2011). I Imported all of them (in same group) first, then Saved, then finally Updated. Still nothing!
A couple of them even appear as RED in the call sign list (JEDI, a C-17 at McGuire JB/AFB, offered as package "MAIW East Coast C-17s") when others in the same group don't. The editor says that it "is not in the proper format for upload". This also puzzles me.

I WILL-SAY, that ONE, and ONLY ONE call sign seems to have gone through. It is call sign "Husker" from an MAIW package for "AMC C-5A Heavies" by developer Desmond Burrell. It offers AF Reserve C-5s at Westover ARB and Kelly/Lackland AFB. Why this one went through and all the others didn't is BEYOND ME! Can anyone out there help?
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Did you update the airline.cfg file? That's the file FS looks in for the callsign. EVP can do that for you, not at my PC at the moment but I think it's under the File menu.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK well when they are in red it means that there is a an error/conflict. The normal cause of conflict is that you have duplicates. Note that the dupes may not even be in the same section but can be in any section at all. It could even be a default built-in callsign.

What you have to do is find the dupes. When you do there are a couple of things you can do. Me, I listen to both/all versions and decide which is the better sounding on. Then I leave that one and then deselect the other(s). You can delete the spares but I always like to keep options if I can.

Now once you have done that you will see that the red has gone, and so on to the next.

Now when the editor says that it "is not in the proper format for upload" what this refers to is a simple to fix thing. If you select one callsign that has that issue and look at the description field then it must have a country in brackets at the end of the description. This you can test out by selecting one that is fine and removing the brackets and country and you will see the error come up.

Finally, you come to the biggest problem of all. You say that despite adding appropriate callsigns all you get is numbers being spoken.
Well what I say then is that your OS is either Vista/Win7/Win8 or Win 10 and your FS installation is in the default location, i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 and your User Account Settings are high.

The problem is that MS designed the operating system so that anything installed in the standard default locations, including, C:\Program Files (x86)\ and C:\Program Files\ as protected. This means that any program not in those protected folders can not alter any files in the protected folders.
So Editvoicepack can't update the USEnglishBig.gvp file in your FS9\Sound folder.

So there are a couple of ways around this.
1. Move the FS folder to a non-protected place/drive.
2. Lower the UAC level.
3. Mess around with the admin rights of the FS9 folder.
3. Manually copy the USEnglishBig.gvp across to the FS folder every time you update it.

Now a couple of things here. Firstly moving FS might seem a big deal but it is not as bad as you think. Secondly, you may decide that lowering is not wise if you don't trust yourself to not allow bad programs/code to run on your PC. Thirdly, what a pain the a*se.

You might try installing EVP to the C:\Program Files (x86) and giving the exe admin rights but I am not sure that this will work.
If it is already installed there, try giving admin rights but it may make no difference. I think we tried that with somebody else and it didn't work.

1. So if you want to move FS9 then you need to copy the C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 folder to keep it safe. Then you can copy the entire FS9 folder to where you want to keep it. Then you will need to alter the registry setting so that it now points to the correct place.
If you don't like that then as long as you have copied the first folder you simple install FS9 again to the new location. Once that is done copy the original structure over the top of the new installation and finally copy the saved C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 folder over the new one. You will have third party programs issues that have reg entries set to the old path but you can amend them as you come to them.

2. Open the User Accounts control panel and select "Change User Account Control settings". Move the slider down from "Always notify". Check level to see if it works you may need to go down to "Never notify". be aware of the consequences of changing that. If you are happy that you are computer savvy enough to understand the implictaions then go ahead.

3. My suggestion with 3 is don't. It is so easy to completely screw up your folder permissions that I would say don't do it unless you know what your doing.

4. What you will find is that if EVP can't update USEnglishBig.gvp in the FS9\Sound folder says that it saves the updates elsewhere and I think that its in a settings folder for EVP. The easiest way to find it will be to use a search tool such as the freeware and portable Everything (why doesn't everybody already use this?). You should find that your system will have two USEnglishBig.gvp files. The one in the EVP folder will be newer and bigger.
Simply rename the current one for safety and then copy the newer one over the top.

This did not mean to be a tutorial on this issue but hopefully it covers the topic well enough for you to fix your issue.

What I would recommend is that you copy the existing file and copy the newer one over the top and test it out in FS. Once you know it works you are then in a position to work out which permanent fix you want to do. Then you can fix the individual red entries.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

VulcanDriver wrote: 12 Feb 2017, 08:40 Did you update the airline.cfg file? That's the file FS looks in for the callsign. EVP can do that for you, not at my PC at the moment but I think it's under the File menu.
Updating the airline.cfg is only needed if you want to be able to select the callsigns for your UI aircraft when creating a new flight. It has no impact on the engine.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I would agree with Greg, I have never updated the airline.cfg file.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Strange as I read it did. Anyway it's useful if you want to see if a callsign is existing instead of using EVP. I use it all the time.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That's fair enough, John. I just didn't want Rob to think that the airlines.cfg was a problem area.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I use EVP a lot, as some of you know I like to do fictional repaints and on occasion I've found a call sign that will do for one of my paints, I know it doesn't belong to that aircraft but it works for me.
I keep saying I must get my head round doing my own, this thread might get me started lol.
On this subject I've added a call sign and when I hear both the pilot and ATC say it, a lot of times it sounds nothing like what it is supposed to be.