The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

MiG Madness

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Re: MiG Madness

Post by mikeblaze »

Actually it was left to right, my bad......
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by miljan »

Can't wait to see loadout variations.And other versions if there is any you didn't cover here :D
VIVA LA VIDA
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

mikewmac wrote:
bismarck wrote:Are those a couple of Delta Dart (or Dagger)? :lol:
Yes, those are a couple of Convair F-102A Delta Daggers, or "Deuces" as we called them, from back in my years in the 134th FIS, 158th FG, VT ANG. :wink: :lol:

Mike M.
Cool.

Had some retirment photos shot next to the tip tank on the EB-57 at the Peterson AFB museum yesterday.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

Just an update on the MiG-21 project. These are the F-13 and F models, in a near-complete beta single-LOD state. I have around ten base models in various stages of completion, the core models of the entire MIG-21 family. I'll post more pix when I get the other aircraft in the same state.

Mike P.
Attachments
mig21_beta_4-14-2012.jpg
james84

Post by james84 »

Well, if you are going to do ALL the Mig-21 base models you are going to keep us all busy for a long time! :mrgreen:
BTW, if this helps, Eduard has recently released three MiG-21 variants (MF, SMT and Bis). They are very accurate, so the instruction sheets that can be downloaded from the company's website (which provide also profile drawings) should be a useful reference. Basically, the three models are similar to each other, the only difference being the dorsal spine and some smaller details. Moreover, there is a very subtle difference in the nose shape between the Bis and the two other version: the Bis has a more bullet-shaped nose profile, whereas the MF and SMT have a more linear profile. There has been a lot of controversy about this, Eduard knew the fuselage shapes were different but released the MiG-21 Bis kit with the same fuselage parts of the other versions instead of making a new one, including only a new nose ring. Good choice to contain the costs but many modellers complained for this "serious" mistake.
There is a helpful image here
http://www.eduard.com/blog/mig-21bis-ga ... se-photos/
pj295
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by pj295 »

Any plans to do a Chinese J-7 from the early mig models? This is not meant as a request....just a question.
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

Okay, you guys...

Here is the projected release order for what I have in mind, the dates are TBA (to be announced). I think this will save a lot of emails and posts if I do it this way.

Part 1: 1st/2nd Generation builds, in final beta-test (F/P models)
Part 2: 3rd Generation builds, in final modeling/texturing (M/S/bis models)
Part 3: Foreign builds and Re-Furbs (India, Romania, Czech, etc.) not counting PRC, in production
Part 4: Foreign builds (People's Republic of China), in production
Part 5: Two-Seaters, in final modeling/texturing (U/UB/US/UM/U-400/U-600). A lot of these are just country-specific, or with avionics changes only. Also, I may just slot these in with other parts of the project, since I have the basic U/UM models nearly done anyways.

With regards to research, I have in excess of a dozen hard-copy or electronic MiG-21-specific references, independent of contributor-sourced things like AICG, Global Security, or Wikipedia. Airwar.RU has the most comprehensive collection of Russian aircraft drawings on the planet, so I am good on research stuff.

With regards to the nose, I am only doing two fuselages (not counting spines), the early F/F-13, and the late P/M/Bis (roughly .15 meters longer), with some variation for the 2-seaters. In all fairness, I will look at the bis fuselage a little more closely, and if I deem it to be visually different enough to make a different one for an AI traffic model, I will do so (it sounds like it might just be a simple nose-tweak); but I reserve the final right as modeler, it's my sanity in the end, lol.

More news as it comes,
Mike P.
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

Here are the beta models for the PF/PFM, about half-way through the initial modeling for this project now.....

Enjoy,
Mike P.
Attachments
mig-21_beta_4-16-2012.jpg
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

now thats eye candy that is :smt016
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Bought one of these the other month, one of my "use once a year tool things". I think your Mig looks great also.
CIG706118.jpg
MJDykas
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by MJDykas »

Mike,
I used to live in Colchester Vt. , I remember one particular morning I heard the sounds of a strange military jet heading my way . I was used to hearing the Green mountain boys fly over the condo all the time, but this sound was different. As the sound came closer my two sons came out and as we looked up over the trees a Mig 17 came roaring over...... I told my boys , now that's something you don't see everyday !!! and probably won't see it again.
What scenery are you using for the Green Mountain boys side of KBTV ?
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

Here is some beta-test of the Chinese builds. In the two pix there are five different variants (F-7I, F-7II, F-7B, F-7E, F-7G). There are some JJ-7 and FT-7P lurking around the test airport, but they weren't in these screenshots. The air forces represented are from Myanmar, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and China. The airport is UTAM Mary AB in Turkmenistan, and now I have 8 more base models to go with the 9 Russian ones. I set the limit at 25 base models (some will only have one load); but I am in real danger of violating that limit, lol. I still have the Romanian Lancer A/B/C and the Indian Bison left to mod from the base MiG-21M/bis models. The oddysey continues.....
Attachments
skybolt lineup_2.jpg
skybolt lineup.jpg
james84

Post by james84 »

Great job Mike!
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

mikewmac wrote:Mike's MPAI MiG-21's take off in 2-ship formations pretty well too. :shock: 8) :lol:

Mike M.

Do I see a pair of F-102's there?
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

DaleRFU wrote:
Do I see a pair of F-102's there?
Yes.... I asked the same some posts above... :D
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

Ignore the missing canopy mirrors, and this is the other half of the MiG-21 project. From top to bottom, left to right, the Chinese picture is JJ-7A, FT-7M, J-7I, J-7II, J-7III, J-7B, J-7E, J-7G. The second picture has the MiG-21 Bison and the LanceR A/B/C. All are different models with little differences on every model. I am in final beta-test (hopefully, as usual), and the first multi-LOD models are being built next week. I am on track to finish this project sometime in May, with 24 base models.
Attachments
mpai_mig-21_chinese.jpg
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

Here is the second pix....
Attachments
mpai_mig-21_refurbs.jpg
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RKE »

Time to get cracking on those chinese airbases then, methinks :lol:

Looking good Mike, very much looking forward to these :smt003
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

velly rice mikle :smt002
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

To All,

Just a note, I did not drop off the planet with this project. I had a tragic, immediate-family loss last week, and have been sorting out stuff with that, so obviously my meteoric pace of modeling came to a crashing halt (temporarily). The guys who help me with this project have known since the day it happened and have been very nice to keep it quiet, I do appreciate that. I was in the middle of final LOD-model assembly for the first part of the package (F series, first generation series builds); and that is where I will pick up in the next week or so. I will send some more nice screenshots as I go along. And, I have my usual agenda of stuff I want to do this year, so there will be much more modeling to come.

Regards,
Mike P.