The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Dragons and Ducks

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Dragons and Ducks

Post by mikeblaze »

I can't resist this riddle..... This is a two-aircraft project, so it will be a short thread. The clues are very loose translations of some (non-English) language. This will be a summer project, arranged around wildfire season. I wouldn't start the thread if I didn't have something to show off, but I will take guesses.

Martin and Ronald are exempt from answering, because they are already in the know.

Saavy Europeans should figure this out in short order.......

The biggest hint is that one aircraft was exported, and one was not, but they came from the same European manufacturer.

More to follow.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Dragons and Ducks

Post by bismarck »

Viggen and Draken...?

Giorgio
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh yes indeed.
Steve
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

You guys are sick........ I should have named the thread "Kites and Ducks", it would have stumped you for at least another twenty seconds or so..... :lol:

Anyways, here is the first profile picture, taken a couple of months ago. I have actually had primitive models with stick-landing gear and a rough FDE in play for over a year, but this is the year of 'cleaning out the cupboard', so here they are. The Draken is a little further along than the Viggen, the Draken is about one day of modeling away from texture-mapping, and the Viggen is about three days away. Days are a relative term right now with fire season, but I will try to have these out the door sometime in the summer.

:smt004
Attachments
draken-viggen.jpg
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Can't wait to see the camouflaged repaint of the Viggen.... :twisted: 8)

Giorgio
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

Here's a side profile of the Draken as of today. This is the J-35A (late Swedish model). It has the "Adam-Lange" extended rear fuselage with rear center tail wheel assembly, the IRST under the cockpit, and the long skinny blade antenna on the belly near the main wheels. The Austrian model doesn't have the IRST, so there are some sub-variants by country as well. I know the Danish Air Force used these as well, but I haven't researched pictures yet for specific features (I know they're painted the standard RDAF green). I was going to do the "Adam-Kort" early model with the short rear fuselage and no rear tail wheel, but only thirty or so were built before Adam-Lange came along, so I will see how the rest of the modeling goes first, and maybe do that variant later. Both Draken and Viggen have two-seat variants as well, so those models will also be included.
Attachments
mpai_draken_alpha1.jpg
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

I have to confess, in the camouflage category, the rippled 'forest' camo of the Viggen is my all-time favorite, and I can't wait to see it, also....... :smt004

P.S. it will actually be pretty easy to do, because of the angular nature, it doesn't have to be totally lined up at part seams. It's kind of like the new-age digital camo.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Didn't even get a chance to try to answer. Very cool news of yet more unique fighter models. I had a freeware flyable Draken that was pretty good in FS9.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Mike, I know the forum rules about requests, but I have to ask to include this in your project.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db25UWCrmB4
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RKE »

Although I never saw them in service, I did get to know one the RDAF Drakens quite well. AR-105 was donated to a local youth club in my hometown, who went and turned it into a flight simulator for use by the kids. Seeing as they decided to plant it on a rooftop, it's quite visible on Google Earth as well 8)

http://www.stall.dk/rdaf/draken/AR105.html
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

[quote="bismarck"]Mike, I know the forum rules about requests, but I have to ask to include this in your project.....=quote]

1. I have seen this video before, and it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen done with an aircraft. I don't know why they even bother with cold-weather clothing that close behind the exhaust.

2. This had to be the most bored aircraft crew on the planet, and how long did it take for their bad-conduct discharges to get processed after this got out?

3. It would take a special XML coding to make the sledders disappear as the aircraft rotated, or you would have a truly funny spotter view of this aircraft; so it probably won't make the project cut (sorry, Giorgio....).

f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

very nice addition to the FS world Mike, cant wait to see them.
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

Another two aircraft I have longed for. You are like the Father Christmas of AI aircraft modelling.
We must have been such good boys and girls.

Chris
Janeway
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Janeway »

Chrisb wrote:Another two aircraft I have longed for. You are like the Father Christmas of AI aircraft modelling.
We must have been such good boys and girls.

Chris
Yes, indeed, I am in accord with Chris...except for one minor clarification:-
Father Christmas delivers his gifts only ONCE a year, on Christmas Eve.....
Whereas Mike delivers his AI models throughout the WHOLE year....!!
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Drakens and Viggens? Swedish deltas? For real? 6 words for you Mr. Pearson:

LIKE A FAT KID ON CAKE!

:smt023

dl
Quaere verum - Seek truth
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

In the middle of all the other project madness, I have both the Viggen and Draken about 80% modeled to single-LOD beta, they are more or less neck-and-neck, and both have basic texture-mapping done. When I get more of the details and that wonderful Viggen forest camo, I will give up some more screenshots.
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

delta_lima wrote:Drakens and Viggens? Swedish deltas? For real? 6 words for you Mr. Pearson:

LIKE A FAT KID ON CAKE!

:smt023

dl

Speaking as a Fat kid.... I like cake..... and Drakens and Viggens!!
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

If you look at the dimensions of my avatar picture ( I'm 5'9", but that's a really tall fire engine....), I'm kinda one of the fat kids around here, too...... I am not a cake person so much, but I do like beer....... although it doesn't mix well with repaints, from long, painful experience, lol....... :D

I'll try to get some screenshots of these two aircraft by Sunday or Monday. I have painted nearly every air force on the planet, but I think this is my first group of Swedish Air Force repaints.... It's about time.

Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Are you sure that's a real fire engine? Real fire engines are RED. :lol:
My daughter driving . . . . we sold this truck to a department somewhere in central Texas about 2 years ago.
Attachments
kell1.jpg
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

I don't normally get off-topic on a thread, but the gauntlet has been thrown, so please indulge me just this once.....

This is my fire truck, there are many, but this is mine, and I get paid a career wage to drive it......... :smt004

.... and, for God's sakes, yes, all real fire trucks are red......
Attachments
mfd1.jpg